Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 16, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #796 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the LT1364 in the DAC, and two LT1469 in the headphone amp?

I'm doing the swap right now.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #797 of 9,388
I've searched this thread & found some results for ebay seller snow48_6, but nothing conclusive. Has anyone ordered from them & had a successful transaction? How was shipping time? As it is not from Lawrence, is this a genuine Zero Dac? Is it the upgraded version & what's the deal with the green caps vs blue box caps?

Thanks for any info?

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #798 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the LT1364 in the DAC, and two LT1469 in the headphone amp?

Ok, Opamps in place. Lossless WAV, X-Fi optical to Zero, DAC out to Super-T amp. I can't turn the volume up on the Super-T much, the wifes asleep, but, what I can hear sounds pretty good. The Headphone amp, with HD-580s in, sounds excellent! Full spectrum, dynamic and bass that is low and tight and has great impact! Where did you dream up this combo?? From other swaps?

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #799 of 9,388
Another question (other than 1 above about ebay seller snow48_6): how do you think synergy would be with LD MK III & D2000? I listen to music across the spectrum, but not rap/hip hop/metal.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #800 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has someone tried to trace the circuitry of the Zero?

When I look at the layout and the fact that you can not listen to the headphone out when the external DAC out is active I thought that one of the relays at the back of the Zero is responsible for routing either to the external out or to the headamp.

Now I wonder about the various wires between the main board and the amp board:

I believe that the three stranded wire is the power supply and that leaves two sets of four that very much look like two stereo connections.

Now one I would understand: from the Dac to the headamp for amplification and then to the headphone socket.

But what about the second pair? Does it go back from the headamp to the main out? I am not good enough to deduce it from the layout.

Anybody any ideas?

I don't want to to try and unclip various wires to see what then does not work anymore....

Maybe this info can help too. Earlier in testing, we found out that the mainboard Opamp has a sonic impact on the headboard output, but the headboard Opamps have no effect on the DAC output. Rather like a one way street.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #802 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think the synergy would be with the Zero, LD MKIII & D2000 (opamps aside for time being)?

Sorry, I was swappin stuff.
biggrin.gif
My Zero with stock Opamps in it had great synergy with my MKIVse. I would say the MKIII should be in the same boat at least!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #803 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is your million dollar idea! Home spray freshner that smells like new electronics! Every audiophile would have to buy some!!!
biggrin.gif

Be careful now, I took out a patent on this very idea years ago. I have yet to do anything about it though.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #806 of 9,388
Any suggestions for smooth and neutral op-amps?

I'm looking for the best synergizing op-amp combo for both dac/amp for DT880 and maybe another or the same op-amp combo for MS2i.

The op-amps must have a very smooth treble and a very present and almost liquid midrange for the dt880.

For MS2i, I think something very transparent, natural and rich would be best. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe DY2000, but it is slightly expensive. Also very interested in LT1057 and LT1028.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #807 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for smooth and neutral op-amps?

I'm looking for the best synergizing op-amp combo for both dac/amp for DT880 and maybe another or the same op-amp combo for MS2i.

The op-amps must have a very smooth treble and a very present and almost liquid midrange for the dt880.

For MS2i, I think something very transparent, natural and rich would be best. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe DY2000, but it is slightly expensive. Also very interested in LT1057 and LT1028.

All the LT opamps are smooth, and mostly neutral. All have beautifully smooth and colorful midrange with lovely presence.

The LT1469 is one of the softer LTs, yet is very very clean. The LT1361 should pair very well with it, as the LT1358. In your place I'd probably try with the LT1358/1361 in the Dac and the LT1469 in the amp.

Also the LT1028 is smooth and pleasant, it's definitely worth trying in the Dac.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #808 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear you like it. I've been following this thread from the beginning as it's one of the dac's I'll be considering for my next upgrade after my Green comes. Going to be a bit before I can do that though, and I'm unsure if I'll go this route, or hold off and just go direct to a higher end dac. But I do like hearing the improvements as I move up the food chain and think it will be fun in modding and rolling opa mps. Guess it really depends how soon upgradietis sets in after my new baby comes.
580smile.gif

Well i can tell you i think you will love the Graham slee amp, I do! I went round to grahams to listen to it before i made a purchase and i have to say i was really impressed with all his gear. I tried loads of music through various items he had made including the new voyager portable and i loved the solo! I went round with the intention of buying the voyager but left with a few hundred pounds lighter buying the solo
icon10.gif

At the minute i'm burning in the dac and using the opa 627 in the dac and the LT1364 in the headphone amp section. Both are upgrades on the original spec and it shows. I left it playing away over night coming up to 25 hours and already i like the sound. I can't help having a quick listen to the solo via the dac every now and then.
wink.gif

When did you order your solo?

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #809 of 9,388
Quote:

I've searched this thread & found some results for ebay seller snow48_6, but nothing conclusive. Has anyone ordered from them & had a successful transaction? How was shipping time? As it is not from Lawrence, is this a genuine Zero Dac? Is it the upgraded version & what's the deal with the green caps vs blue box caps?

I ordered one from him on 3rd Dec and received it on 30th. Pretty good I thought considering Xmas. No UK tax to pay either.
Sorry I'm not into taking it apart. It sounds very good to me as is. I use HD650's with it and as a DAC for my Squeezebox.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #810 of 9,388
One opamp combination that should be quite good for all seasons is LT1469 + OPA2132. But I'd make sure you get the OPA2132UA and mount them on Browndogs, the reason being that this opamp series has recently been revised which I'm only sure about for the SMD versions (in fact the OPA132P and PA are now labeled "obsolete").

Alternatively to the OPA2132, you may very well use the DY2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back