Review: Yulong U100 compact USB DAC/amp
Nov 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #61 of 91

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. My FLAC collection is almost all CD Rips. There are some SACD (I think), but only a few... 
rolleyes.gif

So, your choise would be the Cube. 

There's another option that I'm thinking about. It involves a lot more money, but I can buy it in 2 steps. The idea is to buy a DAC only fist, and later an amplifier. First step, I'd buy an HRT Music Streamer 2, and later a Matrix M-Stage (I'd use the FiiO E9 amp in between). This option would also make me spend money on 2 pairs of some good RCA cables, to connect the DAC and CD-Player to the Amplifier. In the end, I figure I'd spend the double of the Cube with this option... But, is it worth it? What do you think?

Thank you for all your help... 
wink.gif

I'll tell you right now - I'm a big fan of upgrading in stages. It spreads out your expenditures and allows you to build a great system piece by piece. If you are willing and able to go that route, I recommend it.

I've heard from lots of people that the HRT gear paired with the M-Stage is a very nice combo. Personally I don't do expensive cables... I like the Signal Cable Analog One at $36/pair shipped.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #62 of 91
So, for you, that's the way to go... 
rolleyes.gif

I still think the Cube gives me more flexibility because of all those inputs (in case of future system upgrades), but will I ever use them? In my needs, I can only think about the CD-Player and PC/USB connection, so the M-Stage does it (USB, through the HRT, then RCA to the amp) with the two inputs, and it still has an output to connect it to my HiFi. It's covers the basic connections I need...

About the RCA's, I also can't concieve to pay more than 40/50$ for a pair, even if it's granted that I'll hear some possible difference in SQ (which is always hard)! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #64 of 91

Quote:
How does it sound with a DT990 250? Anyone? also has anyone tried any ortho's like a HE-4 or HE-5LE?

I think I briefly tried it with my DT990 600 and it was not objectionable. 250 ohm version would probably be a better fit though.

I don't think it would do so well with orthos.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #66 of 91

Quote:
Ortho's are a dream anyway... I figured it would have a reasonable amount of power for the 250's. How was that sparkle?

Sparkle was pretty good as far as DT 990s go. Some people love it, some hate it, I think I'm in between somewhere. The U100 certainly didn't present it as well as I've heard from higher end gear (especially tube models) but it wasn't as harsh as I've heard from some amps either. So in the end, a pleasing enough choice. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #67 of 91
I just read this whole thread and also your reviews of the Cube and the HUD. I really like your reviews, they are well written and go straight to the point without any hi-fi voodoo 
biggrin.gif

I currently have the SRH-440 but I've been using it straight out of my laptop's audio card. Honestly, I think it doesn't sound bad at all, but I never tried anything else. If I'm gonna upgrade it will be to get more power into those cans. I can't sanely do that without getting a real DAC, so I'm very interested in the all in one units. As you said, it's more fun to upgrade in small steps.

The specs of the U100 says it can push 100mW at 300R, but it doesn't say what it can give at 32R. Normally lower resistance means more current and this is what we see in amps. For exemple, the D100 offers 130mW at 300R and 900mW at 32R.... Is it safe to say that the U100 can offer around 600mW at 32R? If it's the case, then the U100 is going straight on my wishlist.

I couldn't find any specification regarding the power output of the Matrix Cube or the Audinst HUD. Can anyone explain that to me? I'd like to know how those units compare to amps like the one found in the D100... Not in loudness, but in how much control the amp has over the diaphragm when playing bass-heavy music.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #68 of 91
Quote:
Is it safe to say that the U100 can offer around 600mW at 32R? If it's the case, then the U100 is going straight on my wishlist.

That's not usually a safe assumption.  They often end up not delivering what the math would lead you to expect because either the power supply doesn't like it or the transistors don't like putting out that much current.

Of course I don't know for sure so it actually might.  Just don't assume it will until you find someone who's measured it or uses it with 'phones that really would use that much power.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #69 of 91
Hi project86,

May I ask if the  Yulong U100 will work without plugging the USB into a computer?

Using the only the  external wall wart type power supply of the Yulong to power it, 
I plan to connect my Sansa Clip+  to the line input of the Yulong U100 and output it to an amplifier.

Thank you.

Louie

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #71 of 91
Hello,I bought a black Yulong U100 a week ago.
I want to run Foobar in Kernel Streaming Mode and it doesn't work...I use the XP

¿Is it just U100 doesn't work this way?¿or am I in a fatal mistake?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back