Review: Yulong U100 compact USB DAC/amp
Sep 16, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #48 of 91
Is it worth it to spend 100 more to get d100 instead? how big is the difference in performance between d100 and u100?

I am especially looking for a good dac section. I am now owning FA-003, but maybe in the future I will get HD650.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #49 of 91
I got the Yulong Audio U100 recently and it may be too powerful for my iems (returned some fullsized cans that I was going to use).
At 100% Software volume and 100% System(Computer) volume the dial is like this:
  1. Step 0 barely audible
  2. Step 1 left side only whisper
  3. Step 2 left side only little louder
  4. Step 3 both channels are on and a tad louder than I'm use to listening with

I had turned foobar2K(Software) down to -40db to compensate only to add noise along with it, but when I tried having the software at 100% and taking the system volume to 25% I gain a lot more dial control(maybe 16? steps instead of 3) with no noise!

Would this be fine for auditioning purposes? or should I find some other solution for my iems (westone um3x on the way)

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #50 of 91

Quote:
I'm not sure if the ASIO drivers are working for me. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and foobar2000, and I installed the setup for the ASIO drivers and was able to select them as one of the output options. However, I think it's still going through the kmixer cause I can still hear all the windows sounds and sound from other programs while I'm playing music on foobar. On the Yulong Audio U100 Control Panel,however, it says that ASIO playback is active and it shows the correct sample rate on the stream. From what I gather, somehow Windows is affecting the audio stream through the ASIO driver somehow. I verified my suspicions because I can notice a severe change in audio quality when I change the sample rate of the Yulong from Window's sound controls to "Telephone Quality"

Has anyone else been able to successfully use the ASIO drivers for the Yulong? Normally I would just use WASAPI, but I'm getting a weird static from my audio output after playing a few tracks and I have to plug and unplug the USB input to make the static disappear. This has only happened to me when I'm using WASAPI (exclusive mode).

Don't know this arrangement in particular but ASIO doesn't always mean exclusive control of a device. Go to computer sound settings and turn off or reassign everything elsewhere. ASIO on Windows 7 still goes through the Wasapi layer. It's not direct like on XP. Same with kernel. Best for Vista or later would be to select the Wasapi option in the player output if available.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #51 of 91

Quote:
I got the Yulong Audio U100 recently and it may be too powerful for my iems (returned some fullsized cans that I was going to use).
At 100% Software volume and 100% System(Computer) volume the dial is like this:
  1. Step 0 barely audible
  2. Step 1 left side only whisper
  3. Step 2 left side only little louder
  4. Step 3 both channels are on and a tad louder than I'm use to listening with

I had turned foobar2K(Software) down to -40db to compensate only to add noise along with it, but when I tried having the software at 100% and taking the system volume to 25% I gain a lot more dial control(maybe 16? steps instead of 3) with no noise!

Would this be fine for auditioning purposes? or should I find some other solution for my iems (westone um3x on the way)

There are compromises involved with turning down at the software end. The less adjustment you use, the less you'll lose but, for me, no change is always preferred. It may be theorehtically bit perfect turning down some amount but 40 db is going to cause issues. Even turning down a little involves needing some dither and higher bit rate resampling etc to keep things exact so even theory is seldom met in reality. Dither may have a component in the noise that you hear at that level. Try significantly less and see if you can hear a dif. I can on much better kit but if no harm, no foul.
etysmile.gif
 It would be nice if there was a way to simply select less analog gain on the yulong.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #52 of 91

Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dither may have a component in the noise that you hear at that level. Try significantly less and see if you can hear a dif.

20/100 system (0db in music player) @ 30/40 steps is roughly about -23db in music player with the system at 100/100 with the fullsize headphones and with the iems I got on hand the dial shrinks to 13/40 but I guess ~10 steps is a fair amount of adjustment.

I was playing with +decimate earlier to hear what limited dynamic range can sound like, 8~11bit can be pretty indistinguishable depending on what's playing, and I couldn't detect any distortion when I had it at 20/100 system on material that would distort the earliest with a low bit-depth. We'll see! err um hear!

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #53 of 91

Quote:
Is it worth it to spend 100 more to get d100 instead? how big is the difference in performance between d100 and u100?

I am especially looking for a good dac section. I am now owning FA-003, but maybe in the future I will get HD650.

If you can get a D100 for only $100 more than the U100, and that won't break your budget, I say absolutely go for it. The normal price difference is more like $250 or so. You get a better headphone amp, a significantly better DAC, and more inputs. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #55 of 91

Quote:
Was thinking about buying this DAC for my Beyer DT880's. Would it drive those alright? Also, where's the best place to purchase from if I live in Canada?

thanks

To be honest, I never tried either of my Beyer models with this unit. It should be able to drive them well enough though. If you have a 600 ohm model, it might not get extremely loud, but should be loud enough for most people/most music. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #56 of 91
project86, first of all, let me thank you for your reviews! Great work! 
wink.gif

I'm thinking about a possible upgrade over my FiiO E7+E9 combo for desktop use. Since I bought the FiiO E10 for portable use, I feel my desktop combo isn't good enough everytime I listen to it now!

So, I'm considering  this U100, or maybe also the Matrix Cube, as a possible upgrade. I think the Cube main disadvantage is it's DAC being "just" 16bit/48KHz over USB, instead of the U100 24bit/96KHz. As my music library is mainly FLAC, don't you think this "issue" on the Matrix DAC can turn out as a real limitation for me?

But then again, apart from that USB issue, the Matrix Cube specs seem superior to this U100...

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #57 of 91

Quote:
project86, first of all, let me thank you for your reviews! Great work! 
wink.gif

I'm thinking about a possible upgrade over my FiiO E7+E9 combo for desktop use. Since I bought the FiiO E10 for portable use, I feel my desktop combo isn't good enough everytime I listen to it now!

So, I'm considering  this U100, or maybe also the Matrix Cube, as a possible upgrade. I think the Cube main disadvantage is it's DAC being "just" 16bit/48KHz over USB, instead of the U100 24bit/96KHz. As my music library is mainly FLAC, don't you think this "issue" on the Matrix DAC can turn out as a real limitation for me?

But then again, apart from that USB issue, the Matrix Cube specs seem superior to this U100...

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't heard the E7/E9 comob so I can't say for sure how big of an upgrade the U100 or Cube would be. I'm fairly sure they would be better but I'm unsure if it would just be incremental or a real "night and day" type upgrade. 

Between the U100 and the Cube - do you listen to many hi-res tracks over USB? If not then it really isn't much of a limitation, and I'd probably go with the Cube. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #59 of 91

Quote:
Well, I mostly listen to FLAC, and some 320CBR and VBR MP3 (from my Windows 7 PC and Foobar2000). I also listen a lot to CDs, from my HiFi CD player, and that's why I need an RCA or 3.5mm jack input on the DAC/AMP...

So, soundwise, you think the Cube is superior to the U100? 
rolleyes.gif

FLAC is the format, but is any of it 24-bit rather than 16-bit, or have a higher than 48kHz sample rate? If you have much hi-res material, you'll know about it. Assuming most of your music is standard resolution (as in FLAC ripped from a regular CD) then it won't be an issue either way.

Soundwise, I'd probably give the slight edge to the Cube overall. The margin is not huge though. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #60 of 91
Sorry, my bad. My FLAC collection is almost all CD Rips. There are some SACD (I think), but only a few... 
rolleyes.gif

So, your choise would be the Cube. 

There's another option that I'm thinking about. It involves a lot more money, but I can buy it in 2 steps. The idea is to buy a DAC only fist, and later an amplifier. First step, I'd buy an HRT Music Streamer 2, and later a Matrix M-Stage (I'd use the FiiO E9 amp in between). This option would also make me spend money on 2 pairs of some good RCA cables, to connect the DAC and CD-Player to the Amplifier. In the end, I figure I'd spend the double of the Cube with this option... But, is it worth it? What do you think?

Thank you for all your help... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back