Review: Yulong U100 compact USB DAC/amp
May 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 91
Have tried this, has clean sound with a bit emphasis in treble, detail and airiness are always there.

but for some songs I feel the treble "attack" can be a bit too hot and the vocal presentasion can little lack of body.

I think paired with some warmish cans will make good result.

I think as DAC+Amp combo, audinst have better balance presentation, while U100 more toward to brighter (not so bright till the difference like night and day, but it's just adding treble presence from Audinst) yet more fun sounding, it's so good for rock, the guitar energy will be easier to feel than on Audinst.

I don't know about burn-in, because I heard them only at meet.

May 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #32 of 91
I have a pair of low-end powered studio monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) and also a KRK subwoofer.  I need a DAC that has the ability to control volume on the RCA outs, as they will be fed directly into the monitors with no further control on attenuating the volume. (I can adjust on the back of each monitor +/- 6db, but I need a dedicated volume) This is the primary use: to act as a sound card between my high end HP laptop (with Winamp and mostly FLAC/some 320k mp3).  I actually bought a NuForce UDAC-2, but will be returning it upon arrival based on my new conclusion that it is a piece of crap.

I also have been looking at the Audinst HUD-MX1.  However it is only a 16bit DAC.  I am not sure how that will affect me because I dont think I have 24bit files, but might venture towards that if I had a supporting playback device.

Also the HRT Music Streamer has caught me eye, but no volume control means I would need some type of preamp with volume control.

I could just use the windows volume control, but I would get the full 16bits into the DAC that way.

Can anyone steer me the right way and tell me for sure that the Volume knob on the Yulong U100 does attenuate the RCA outs?

Kevin V

May 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #34 of 91

Audinst actually is 24/96 capable DAC. Refer to the description on the DAC ship.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audinst-HUD-mx1-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/180664744510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10753a3e#ht_6461wt_1165
Quote:
I have a pair of low-end powered studio monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) and also a KRK subwoofer.  I need a DAC that has the ability to control volume on the RCA outs, as they will be fed directly into the monitors with no further control on attenuating the volume. (I can adjust on the back of each monitor +/- 6db, but I need a dedicated volume) This is the primary use: to act as a sound card between my high end HP laptop (with Winamp and mostly FLAC/some 320k mp3).  I actually bought a NuForce UDAC-2, but will be returning it upon arrival based on my new conclusion that it is a piece of crap.

I also have been looking at the Audinst HUD-MX1.  However it is only a 16bit DAC.  I am not sure how that will affect me because I dont think I have 24bit files, but might venture towards that if I had a supporting playback device.

Also the HRT Music Streamer has caught me eye, but no volume control means I would need some type of preamp with volume control.

I could just use the windows volume control, but I would get the full 16bits into the DAC that way.

Can anyone steer me the right way and tell me for sure that the Volume knob on the Yulong U100 does attenuate the RCA outs?

Kevin V

May 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 91
Okay, cool.

Thanks a lot for that I can't believe I missed that.  I've been pouring over a lot of info... First time with a lot of this stuff...I was pretty much sold on the Audinst for the price anyways, and I like the fact that it has a switch on the front to switch from the cans to the RCAs. 

May 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #37 of 91
First, I want to say that I bought a black Yulong U100 a couple of weeks ago, and have been very impressed. It fit my needs perfectly.

Question: In the practical sense, is there any noticeable difference using ASIO vs the Windows driver?

May 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 91
First, I want to say that I bought a black Yulong U100 a couple of weeks ago, and have been very impressed. It fit my needs perfectly.

Question: In the practical sense, is there any noticeable difference using ASIO vs the Windows driver?

ASIO vs WASAPI vs KS, probably little difference. ASIO vs DS maybe a noticeable difference.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #42 of 91
I'm not sure if the ASIO drivers are working for me. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and foobar2000, and I installed the setup for the ASIO drivers and was able to select them as one of the output options. However, I think it's still going through the kmixer cause I can still hear all the windows sounds and sound from other programs while I'm playing music on foobar. On the Yulong Audio U100 Control Panel,however, it says that ASIO playback is active and it shows the correct sample rate on the stream. From what I gather, somehow Windows is affecting the audio stream through the ASIO driver somehow. I verified my suspicions because I can notice a severe change in audio quality when I change the sample rate of the Yulong from Window's sound controls to "Telephone Quality"

Has anyone else been able to successfully use the ASIO drivers for the Yulong? Normally I would just use WASAPI, but I'm getting a weird static from my audio output after playing a few tracks and I have to plug and unplug the USB input to make the static disappear. This has only happened to me when I'm using WASAPI (exclusive mode).

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #43 of 91

Quote:
I'm not sure if the ASIO drivers are working for me. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and foobar2000, and I installed the setup for the ASIO drivers and was able to select them as one of the output options. However, I think it's still going through the kmixer cause I can still hear all the windows sounds and sound from other programs while I'm playing music on foobar. On the Yulong Audio U100 Control Panel,however, it says that ASIO playback is active and it shows the correct sample rate on the stream. From what I gather, somehow Windows is affecting the audio stream through the ASIO driver somehow. I verified my suspicions because I can notice a severe change in audio quality when I change the sample rate of the Yulong from Window's sound controls to "Telephone Quality"

Has anyone else been able to successfully use the ASIO drivers for the Yulong? Normally I would just use WASAPI, but I'm getting a weird static from my audio output after playing a few tracks and I have to plug and unplug the USB input to make the static disappear. This has only happened to me when I'm using WASAPI (exclusive mode).

I'm not sure. My nephew who has the U100 uses it with Windows 7 x86 in Kernal Streaming mode and it is fine. He has no interest in trying new drivers since it all works for him. Have you tried KS?

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 91

Quote:
I'm not sure. My nephew who has the U100 uses it with Windows 7 x86 in Kernal Streaming mode and it is fine. He has no interest in trying new drivers since it all works for him. Have you tried KS?

Yeah, I'm trying various different output modes to see if my problem will go away. It's a pretty inconsistent problem as I could go a week without any distortions or static. There's also the possibility that it's my laptop's USB ports that are causing the problem, so I'll just have to experiment. (Hopefully it isn't a hardware problem.) I just wanted to make sure that I exhausted all my possible options, but considering that the ASIO driver is an official driver, I'm disappointed that it isn't working as it should.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #45 of 91

Quote:

COMPARISONS

The obvious competition here is the Audinst HUD-mx1 and the Matrix Cube. If I had not heard those two I would probably be a lot more excited with the level of performance being attained by the U100. Still, just because a few others have achieved it, doesn’t mean it is less of an accomplishment for a small company like Yulong to join them. The good part is that they are different enough to warrant individual recommendations in different circumstances.

The Audinst mx1 is still going strong as the most neutral DAC of the bunch. In comparison the U100 has slightly more authority in the lower regions and a bit of extra fullness and snap in the mids, followed by more gently defined highs. The U100 ends up being simultaneously more laid back and engaging, concerned more with the pacing of the performance rather than the minute details. The Audinst is more focused and has a more intimate presentation, with a nice balance across the whole spectrum. Overall I think the DAC sections are somewhat different but equally good. The amp sections couldn’t really be more different though, and it would be a matter of taste which you would prefer. For many headphones the U100 is better in my opinion.

The Matrix Cube is a bit more expensive than the U100. For the extra money you get lots more inputs as well as selectable upsampling. The biggest advantage possessed by the Cube is its very expansive soundstage. It has great realism when it comes to spreading out the musicians in the performance space. The U100, while no slouch in that area, can not compete here. If we turn off the upsampling feature on the Cube the two units end up sounding very similar when used solely as a DAC. The Cube has a more lively presentation up top but the effect is minimal. As far as amp sections go, the Cube is closer to the U100 than the Audinst, but the U100 still gets the nod as being warmer and a little darker.

There’s no real loser in this comparison. Each has a valid application where I would recommend it over the others. For those who just want a solid foundation that is neutral and evenhanded, the Audinst is the way to go. Someone needing more inputs (especially an analog in for SACD or DVD-A playback) that likes a warm musical sound and values an expansive soundstage should look no further than the Matrix Cube. The U100 is my top choice for someone who will likely not be upgrading soon, who simply wants a nice low profile unit that will make anything you pair with it sound good. In fact it might actually make sense to choose the U100 over the D100 in some instances. Consider a person on a budget of around $600. Barring any future upgrading, it might be better for them to get the U100 and pair it with a nicer headphone; the headphone budget would be $350. If that same person went with a D100, there would only be $150 left for headphones. I know this is a specific example but there are plenty of similar scenarios where the U100 would be a great choice. Its forgiving nature lends itself well to all types of music and headphone pairings.

Too bad the Cube only supports 20Hz-20kHz though, which means it isn't the perfect match for SACD input.

I know I posted this in the Cube thread already, but did the HO on the U100 surpass the HO on the Cube in any way? =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back