Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #1,051 of 1,182
Quote:
Hope someone here can clear a question about this amp. 
I own a pair of Hd-800 and am looking for an amp/dac that won't cost me an arm and a leg. 
I currently drive my headphones with a grant-fidelity tubedac-11 which is ok but clearly not the best. 
The main issue from what I understand is that the power is just insufficient (130mw into 300phm) which means that I listen with the volume at 2-4 to properly make the phones alive. 
Now, I see in the specs that this amp/dac has 13mW into 300ohm like the tubedac-11 yet I read in a few places that the yulong is a good match with the HD-800?
Any advise anyone? this search for an amp with out being able to simply going to a store and listen can be really tiring :) 

Thanks in advance 

I don't have experience with either item(D100 & HD800), but the D100 will likely give you a more neutral presentation.  I would also suggest checking out this thread as well for advice on what to pair with the HD800.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,052 of 1,182
Quote:
I own a pair of Hd-800 and am looking for an amp/dac that won't cost me an arm and a leg. 
I currently drive my headphones with a grant-fidelity tubedac-11 which is ok but clearly not the best. 
The main issue from what I understand is that the power is just insufficient (130mw into 300phm) which means that I listen with the volume at 2-4 to properly make the phones alive. 
Now, I see in the specs that this amp/dac has 13mW into 300ohm like the tubedac-11 yet I read in a few places that the yulong is a good match with the HD-800?
Any advise anyone? this search for an amp with out being able to simply going to a store and listen can be really tiring :) 

Thanks in advance 

From my experience when I had the D100 (MKI) , is not just a question of power, is due to the treble, it was too harsh. I listened some heaphones that most of them made good pair with D100 (specially Denons), but in the case of the Sennheiser it didn't exist any sinergy at all, unbereable.
Even with the Phonitor which is a pretty neutral (even cold) amp I haven't got this problem wih high freqs, same with Benchmark. Best amplifier I listened with them is Auralic Taurus, but is expensive. It pairs pretty well with Icon Audio HP8 (tubes), more affordable amp.

I believe D100 is a stunning dac for its price but I couldn't recomend in this case... maybe the best is go to some thread related to HD800 recommended amps.....

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,053 of 1,182
Quote:
From my experience when I had the D100 (MKI) , is not just a question of power, is due to the treble, it was too harsh. I listened some heaphones that most of them made good pair with D100 (specially Denons), but in the case of the Sennheiser it didn't exist any sinergy at all, unbereable.
Even with the Phonitor which is a pretty neutral (even cold) amp I haven't got this problem wih high freqs, same with Benchmark. Best amplifier I listened with them is Auralic Taurus, but is expensive. It pairs pretty well with Icon Audio HP8 (tubes), more affordable amp.

I believe D100 is a stunning dac for its price but I couldn't recomend in this case... maybe the best is go to some thread related to HD800 recommended amps.....

Agreed. If you want a single box solution for HD80, unfortunately you'll have to spend a good deal more. Eximus DP1, Resonessence Invicta, Anedio D2, and probably the upcoming Burson Conductor would all be good candidates. All cost quite a bit more than the Yulong though. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,054 of 1,182
The HD800 is a headphone worthy of building a system around it. The thing with the HD800 is that it costs a good amount but it doesn't stop there. In order to maximize potential or getting close to it one would need to have a very good dac and amp. The D100 is a good unit but the HD800 can do better of course depending on budget 

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,055 of 1,182
Quote:
The HD800 is a headphone worthy of building a system around it. The thing with the HD800 is that it costs a good amount but it doesn't stop there. In order to maximize potential or getting close to it one would need to have a very good dac and amp. The D100 is a good unit but the HD800 can do better of course depending on budget 

with the HD800 you buy a system for the headphone, a very specific system.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,057 of 1,182
Quote:

Thanks in advance 

Check out the tube rolling (pg. 10) and HD800 threads at the GF forum (at AK) and see how the TubeDAC-11 is comparing to the Yulong flagship setup with the HD800. You might save yourself some money :)

Cheers,
Ian

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,059 of 1,182
Hello,
I have been a happy user of this dac for more than a year, but it has developed a problem.
Sometimes, the sound becomes a very high pitch noise, as if, im just listening for some MP3 and all of a sudden it just gets pretty crisp and hurts my hears, i then and to turn it off and on to fix this.
Did anyone had the same problem?
I use it by USB on my windows 7 computer.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,060 of 1,182
Have you checked to see if this happens with a different computer, or via the coax/optical inputs? 

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,061 of 1,182
My D100 (upgraded to II by Yulong) also have issues via USB only. Some times the sound just turns to static only when the music is playing. However if I pause the music and resume it in a few seconds it goes back to normal. This happens quite often as well. It has no problem via coaxial though. 

My D100 was upgraded by Yulong because it actually exploded...(one of the capacitors). Yulong said that one of the capacitors in the input section burnt out because the input signal had an extremely high voltage, which he said he had never seen before.

On another note, did anyone try the Fostex HP-A8 before and compared it with other DACs? I'm looking for an upgrade.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,062 of 1,182
Quote:
My D100 (upgraded to II by Yulong) also have issues via USB only. Some times the sound just turns to static only when the music is playing. However if I pause the music and resume it in a few seconds it goes back to normal. This happens quite often as well. It has no problem via coaxial though. 

My D100 was upgraded by Yulong because it actually exploded...(one of the capacitors). Yulong said that one of the capacitors in the input section burnt out because the input signal had an extremely high voltage, which he said he had never seen before.

On another note, did anyone try the Fostex HP-A8 before and compared it with other DACs? I'm looking for an upgrade.

Yeah it sucks, if i'm listening to music somewhat loud it actually makes me jump from the chair and almost throw it off the window!
What's the diference between D100 I and II?

Quote:
Have you checked to see if this happens with a different computer, or via the coax/optical inputs? 

I don't have a sound card, i use this as it!
I might try it on another computer, but it may take hours or even days for this to happen :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,063 of 1,182
From what I know the D100 and D100II have different USB receivers.

Though it seems to only happen to this computer. It's a really old computer...so I'm wondering if the processor is not fast enough to output the USB signal in time for the DAC to process?

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #1,064 of 1,182
Quote:
From what I know the D100 and D100II have different USB receivers.

Though it seems to only happen to this computer. It's a really old computer...so I'm wondering if the processor is not fast enough to output the USB signal in time for the DAC to process?

Could be. For all the understanding we have about USB audio, there seems to be a lot of random errors that people suffer from. I've talked to plenty of folks who have two computers but only one works properly with their DAC. Not sure why. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,065 of 1,182
I think if we use USB 3.0 with the isolated signal output it would be better. Though right now I can only hope it doesn't happen often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back