Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jun 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,036 of 1,182
Quote:
Snip

Anyway, I will keep you guys posted on further developments. 
It seems that my D100 is not out of the line compared to others who did the measurements (THANKS GUYS!). 

thanks for posting! you probably saved some other pour souls nerves!

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,037 of 1,182
Quote:
thanks

off topic: which amp of yours is your favourite for the Denons?

the built in on the D100 is my favorite for the D2000 of those I own currently. 

That said - I used to have a Dynalo circuit - and that was my favorite by far. I'm going to be getting another one soon... the only question is if I build my own, or buy a commercial one. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,038 of 1,182
Quote:

the built in on the D100 is my favorite for the D2000 of those I own currently. 

That said - I used to have a Dynalo circuit - and that was my favorite by far. I'm going to be getting another one soon... the only question is if I build my own, or buy a commercial one. 

sweet, just found the price list, guess what I'm doing over the holiday :p

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,039 of 1,182
As a bonus - it will easily drive most orthos pretty well too. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,040 of 1,182
Quote:
As a bonus - it will easily drive most orthos pretty well too. 

Seriously though, $70 for all the parts? probably a little bit more here, but so what, its still cheap as hell. I'll figure out the casing later. Thanks for the recommendation. I will probably still get the Yulong just for the DAC. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,041 of 1,182
Which BOM did you find? Mine priced out around $150, without the case. 

Still a bargain - just curious. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,042 of 1,182
Quote:
Seriously though, $70 for all the parts? probably a little bit more here, but so what, its still cheap as hell. I'll figure out the casing later. Thanks for the recommendation. I will probably still get the Yulong just for the DAC. 

The D100 is a great dac. I had the PPAv2 amp and D100 as the dac for a while. I then upgraded to the V200 amp and CTH to have along side and I never felt the D100 was inadequate as a dac.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,043 of 1,182
Quote:
Which BOM did you find? Mine priced out around $150, without the case. 

Still a bargain - just curious. 

mmmm whoops looks like the one i found dates 2005 for rev C - here, is there a newer revision? yours is probably more accurate. can you post or pm a link?

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,044 of 1,182
That's the BOM I'm using as well - it just priced it differently once I actually started putting parts in my shopping cart, and I think i opted for some boutique upgrades here and there... 

I'm still looking for a Rev C board since I know I won't have time to do clean work PTP... - I don't think AMB makes them anymore. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,045 of 1,182
Wow. It's almost 1.5 years that I have the D100 mk1. And it doesn't cease to impress me :) I'm using it with my DIY amp for a few weeks now I can really hear the potential of D100... A very good purchase. :cool:

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,046 of 1,182
I recently bought both the Yulong D100 MK2 and the Matrix MStage and I'm currently trying to figure out the optimal hookup for them with my AH-D7000s.

I saw XLR to RCA cables on sale and was thinking of using that to hook it up to the MStage input and regulating the volume from there.

I'm currently using a 1/4 to RCA cable to hook up the Yulong to the MStage which sounds alright, there's definitely and improvement in sound especially the Bass which seemed missing with just the Yulong and Denons alone.

Also other than the Burson...is there any recommendation as to which amp would bring out the most/best bass out of the Denons? The bass on the Yulong/Mstage combo is good but not as loud as I'd want. Would a Yulong/HDP Icon bring out more impact?

I'd like to hear your suggestions on a good Yulong combo for the Denons, mostly on bringing out more bass. Maybe even a different combo (under $800) altogether that will work better with the Denon D7000.

Thx

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,047 of 1,182
Quote:
I recently bought both the Yulong D100 MK2 and the Matrix MStage and I'm currently trying to figure out the optimal hookup for them with my AH-D7000s.
I saw XLR to RCA cables on sale and was thinking of using that to hook it up to the MStage input and regulating the volume from there.
I'm currently using a 1/4 to RCA cable to hook up the Yulong to the MStage which sounds alright, there's definitely and improvement in sound especially the Bass which seemed missing with just the Yulong and Denons alone.
Also other than the Burson...is there any recommendation as to which amp would bring out the most/best bass out of the Denons? The bass on the Yulong/Mstage combo is good but not as loud as I'd want. Would a Yulong/HDP Icon bring out more impact?
I'd like to hear your suggestions on a good Yulong combo for the Denons, mostly on bringing out more bass. Maybe even a different combo (under $800) altogether that will work better with the Denon D7000.
Thx

if you want more bass use an EQ, there is a thread where we are trying to figure out whats cooking and whats burning with the denons, but it won't help you much. Clarity and neutrality and musicality is the goal with amping, not bass inflation, also the Nuforce has a 10ohm output impedance so it will bloat the bass, and also hammer the tightness into a squishy sloppy goo, 

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,049 of 1,182
Any chance that anyone is familiar with the Marantz S8004 and knows how the Yulong D100 compares to it? The Marantz is obviously $1,000, but that includes a transport, SACD, and retail markups so I wouldn't be surprised if the Yulong was as good or even better as a DAC. I am wondering if I need to go as high as the D18 to be noticabely better than the Marantz.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,050 of 1,182
Hope someone here can clear a question about this amp. 
I own a pair of Hd-800 and am looking for an amp/dac that won't cost me an arm and a leg. 
I currently drive my headphones with a grant-fidelity tubedac-11 which is ok but clearly not the best. 
The main issue from what I understand is that the power is just insufficient (130mw into 300phm) which means that I listen with the volume at 2-4 to properly make the phones alive. 
Now, I see in the specs that this amp/dac has 13mW into 300ohm like the tubedac-11 yet I read in a few places that the yulong is a good match with the HD-800?
Any advise anyone? this search for an amp with out being able to simply going to a store and listen can be really tiring :) 

Thanks in advance 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back