Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Nov 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,068 of 1,182
I also think it's a great value for the price for it's SQ and versatility.
If I could I would certainly keep it, get a dedicated amp in the future and be done with it, but my needs, right now, are different...
I might even change my mind and withdraw it from sale...

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,069 of 1,182
I just saw that my post at the deals thread was removed...
Seems like we can't have links to Head-fi classifieds there, oh well...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,071 of 1,182
Quote:
If anyone is interested I'm selling my D100.

New hobby kkl10?
wink.gif

I plan on eventually getting a dedicated amp for the D100 just like you mentioned.  It's a solid amp, and an even more solid DAC

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,072 of 1,182
Quote:
How is this D100 behaving after a while...I was thinking it might be worth the investment, but I also read some negative reviews about its reliability.

I have had zero issues with mine. 

*shrug*

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,073 of 1,182
Nov 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,075 of 1,182
And if you are in the US or Canada and buy from Grant Fidelity (as I plan on doing), you have a local store - no shipping back and forth to China! - and you get a 1 year warranty should anything go wrong..

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #1,076 of 1,182
How is this D100 behaving after a while...I was thinking it might be worth the investment, but I also read some negative reviews about its reliability.

Just like the guys above, 0 problems.
And i have only used the USB input which is supposed to be the most problematic.
You might want to take a look at my classified for a nice discount. :)

New hobby kkl10? :wink:

I plan on eventually getting a dedicated amp for the D100 just like you mentioned.  It's a solid amp, and an even more solid DAC

Not at all new hobby. :)
I'm also selling most of my IEMs to.
Actually it's because of my modded GMP 400.
I want to get a more powerfull amp just to see how it scales. I can't do it without selling my D100 otherwise I would keep it for sure.

I also want to try to get a Sennheiser HD6x0 or DT880 600Ohms to compare to my GMPs before I try to send it for measurements.
I have a feeling that the modded GMP will kick the crap out of those headphones, lol.
But if not, I have at least a neutral reference and may be able to see where my GMPs can be improved further... although the improvement over stock is already quite remarkable!
I'm still not sure if I sell the D100 right now because I haven't found any atractive alternative yet... and if I get a HD600 or DT880 I'll need the Dac/Amp, obviously...
We'll see... :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,077 of 1,182
Well...the 2nd review here made me think: http://www.head-fi.org/products/yulong-d100

More specifically:

Quote:

RECAP after about 6 mths of use

Well, I had several problems:
-the vol knob came off since it's made of cheap plastic and not a metal one held by a screw
-the unit died, possibly overheated, now all outputs have some sort of static, distortion and humming/buzzing.
-the unit refuses to accept input after I either connected or switched on an external amp (just says 'noinput' and doesn't accept the signal via usb).
-loud clicks in the HP when you switch the unit on/off.

In light of these (especially the breaking part), I've revised the review scores and lowered quality and design to 1.5 and 3 respectively. I hope Audiophile china and/or Mr YuLong help me out and fix it. (getting a replacement unit next week (21st Mar))

edit: got a replacement unit, took about a month. Probably won't be keeping it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,078 of 1,182
Aye - I recall that review. None of that has been my experience. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #1,079 of 1,182
svyr, got a bit of bad luck with his D100.

The volume knob of the D100 is not held by any screws, you can pull it of the unit but you would have to make use of quite a bit of force!
At least in my unit, since it's pretty well tight in there.
Some of the D100 owners (myself included) have complained about the knob having a scratchy and non smooth feeling when you turn it, this is easily remedied by pulling the knob out just a bit (tenths of mm) so that it doesn't touch the housings front plate.
The volume knob on my 2 years old unit turns very smoothly now and works without any problem.

When I turn my unit on with my IEMs or GMP plugged in, there's a very faint, almost inaudible pop regardless of the position of the vol knob.
When I turn it off there a loud crackling noise (as loud as music volume) if the knob is in a higher position than the first three steps (where channel imbalance resides on my unit), but there is no noise if the knob is at these levels. This is not uncommon with amps, though.

On my first hours with this unit I found that with the USB input I would get ocasional sound glitches when listening to music on foobar2000.
Changing output settings on foobar (Wasapi, buffer length) corrected this issue.
Since then I've had no issues at all, my unit is 2 years old, I use it daily with my headphones.

EDIT: By the way, USB input glitch issues are not uncommon with USB Dacs. USB input usually require some tweaks on your PC/media player output settings.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,080 of 1,182
Quote:
When I turn my unit on with my IEMs or GMP plugged in, there's a very faint, almost inaudible pop regardless of the position of the vol knob.
When I turn it off there a loud crackling noise (as loud as music volume) if the knob is in a higher position than the first three steps (where channel imbalance resides on my unit), but there is no noise if the knob is at these levels. This is not uncommon with amps, though.
EDIT: By the way, USB input glitch issues are not uncommon with USB Dacs. USB input usually require some tweaks on your PC/media player output settings.

I've always unplugged my phones before turning an amp on or off... old habits. So any "pop" issues I've not noticed. 

And yes - to be clear, with USB input most problems one encounters are on the computer's end, not the DACs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back