Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 1, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #856 of 1,182
I'm not good at describing things in audio. High frequencies are clearer. It sounds the same if I short those caps, to my ears. Caps are Audyn MKP-QS.

Next I will try an HDAM...

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #857 of 1,182
I tend to really like an analytical DAC... something very neutral and somewhat cold. I'm of the mind that anything you put in the stream after the DAC should do the coloring. I'm currently using an RA1 and an RS1 with it, and it's really excellent. Completely gets out of the way and allows whatever else you're tacking on to do their work.

Quote:
Analytical D100 + Rich, warm tubey sound?  Interesting.

Seems like a real winner or a huge flop.  I'm curious to see what people who have paired this with some tubes have to say

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #858 of 1,182

Quote:
I tend to really like an analytical DAC... something very neutral and somewhat cold. I'm of the mind that anything you put in the stream after the DAC should do the coloring. I'm currently using an RA1 and an RS1 with it, and it's really excellent. Completely gets out of the way and allows whatever else you're tacking on to do their work.

Agreed.

"Fix" the flavor downstream.

I prefer a really detailed/analytical sound myself.  The D100 matched with the SP-1 seems to be giving me this, although I need to play around a bit more.  I got new pads for the SP-1 and just swapped to using an optical input on the D100 and it sounds different.  I changed two things at once so now I get to back track :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #859 of 1,182
Just wondering if anyone tried using this DAC paired with a USB>SPDIF converter like Audiophilleo 1/2? How do they pair? It seems this DAC is quite neutral and even though I was looking for something without an amp/ volume I see this as an alternative.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #860 of 1,182
Why would you need a usb to spdif converter when you can connect it via usb already?

However I did use a usb to spdif in the past just to see if there was any difference and I did not hear any difference between the two. However that was a while ago and I find no need to try again and have since sold that converter.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #861 of 1,182

Quote:
Why would you need a usb to spdif converter when you can connect it via usb already?

Because most people swear the Audiophilleo improves the signal, and for that price, it had better :wink:

Also, John Darko - digitalaudioreview.net - has repeatedly claimed that a $500 dac with a $500 SPDIF/USB converter can sound better than a $1000 DAC with built-in USB.  So it's a legitimate question.  

I tend to use optical, so it's academic for me.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #862 of 1,182

Quote:
Because most people swear the Audiophilleo improves the signal, and for that price, it had better :wink:

Also, John Darko - digitalaudioreview.net - has repeatedly claimed that a $500 dac with a $500 SPDIF/USB converter can sound better than a $1000 DAC with built-in USB.  So it's a legitimate question.  

I tend to use optical, so it's academic for me.

Where did he say that ?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #865 of 1,182
Someone mentioned about pairing a tube with the D100 and I tried it with my CTH Rev A yesterday and it sounds excellent. Actually I quite like the multiple outputs of the D100 since I'm able to connect it to both my V200 and CTH Rev A amp to compare the two when needed.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #866 of 1,182

Quote:
Just a quick question. Which option do you guys think is better, considering just the DAC and heaphone amp section, this Yulong D100 or the HRT Music Streamer II DAC with a Matrix M-Stage amp?

Thanks.

The D100 DAC section is better than the MSII's.  The amp section is close to that of the M-Stage(according to Project86's review), so I would lean more toward the D100.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #868 of 1,182
i'm curious but any idea what would be the natural upgrade to the D100 if I wanted just a dac and would be used only with a computer via usb?

I'm thinking of something like a w4s dac2 or violectric v800. any other ideas?

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #870 of 1,182
I highly recommend the Neko DAC, heard it from the loaner program and I must say its the most natural sounding dac I heard, it doesn't have usb but just throw a V-link and you are ready. They are still doing loaner the loaner program in  US, Canada and Europe so you can hear it for yourself.
https://www.nekoaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back