Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Dec 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #826 of 1,182

Well I just received my Yulong D18 DAC. The first thing I did after opening the package was to switch the electrical setting from 220v to 110v, any damage by failing to do this voids the warranty, fair warning. Then I read the the manual. The D18 doesn’t have a trigger to automatically turn on/off the component, in other words, I have to manually turn the DAC on and off, I know I’m lazy, no big deal, I need the exercise.
But before I get into the D18, I first want to say that last night I listened to my XDA-1 and V-Link combo, using Foobar, and that sounded unbelievable, so my expectations were lowered for the D18 to be considerably better.

Ok I just set up the D18, and my initial impressions……………………………….Oh, my!..........................
More to come after more listening.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #827 of 1,182

Quote:

Well I just received my Yulong D18 DAC. The first thing I did after opening the package was to switch the electrical setting from 220v to 110v, any damage by failing to do this voids the warranty, fair warning. Then I read the the manual. The D18 doesn’t have a trigger to automatically turn on/off the component, in other words, I have to manually turn the DAC on and off, I know I’m lazy, no big deal, I need the exercise.
But before I get into the D18, I first want to say that last night I listened to my XDA-1 and V-Link combo, using Foobar, and that sounded unbelievable, so my expectations were lowered for the D18 to be considerably better.

Ok I just set up the D18, and my initial impressions……………………………….Oh, my!..........................

Maybe a better fit in a D18 thread?

Just a friendly thought

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #828 of 1,182
Heh, cool. I'm in the UK and we use... 230-240v I think, so no need to change. Speaking of which, I know it's sold here: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106 which is £450... with free shipping(!), so if you add charges, probably about £500. I take it that's a Chinese site. Anywhere other recommended places to buy from? I know it's sold by a US supplier but it'd cost less to get it from the country of origin.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #829 of 1,182

Quote:

GREAT! I should be getting mine D18 in the next few days. It arrived in JFK yesterday, :D.
Are you using balanced out or RCA out, and what amp are you pairing it with?

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #830 of 1,182
I am using RCA out to my preamp, which I am also using to control the volume. I am using as my preamp Emotiva USP-1 and the amps I am using are the Emotiva XPA-1's the speakers are Mg 1.6 qr Magnepan, subs Epik Empire Duals. The D18 as you know does not have a volume control.

Quote:
GREAT! I should be getting mine D18 in the next few days. It arrived in JFK yesterday, :D.
Are you using balanced out or RCA out, and what amp are you pairing it with?

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #832 of 1,182

I bought mine through Grant Fidelity, but they shipped it from Hong Kong, I ordered it last monday and received it this monday. You should be good with the original setting 230-240v, but just check it in case. Tam Audio is pretty good, I ordered the Musiland Monitor 03 from them and they were very prompt in shipping. Hope that helped.
The voices are 3d in there presentation,using the D18, just my opinion.

Quote:
Heh, cool. I'm in the UK and we use... 230-240v I think, so no need to change. Speaking of which, I know it's sold here: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106 which is £450... with free shipping(!), so if you add charges, probably about £500. I take it that's a Chinese site. Anywhere other recommended places to buy from? I know it's sold by a US supplier but it'd cost less to get it from the country of origin.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #833 of 1,182

Quote:
Heh, cool. I'm in the UK and we use... 230-240v I think, so no need to change. Speaking of which, I know it's sold here: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106 which is £450... with free shipping(!), so if you add charges, probably about £500. I take it that's a Chinese site. Anywhere other recommended places to buy from? I know
it's sold by a US supplier but it'd cost less to get it from the country of origin.

I'm a idiot, guys it's very confusing that your speaking about the D18 (Was wondering why the price was so high) ;D

Ahem, anyways.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specifically-hifi-sound-SABRE-D18-32Bit-500KHZ-DAC-use-ESS9018-32BIT-DAC-SILVER-/120807218082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c20abdba2

wsz0304 is a fantastic seller, and I can say with near certainty you won't get taxed. If you did, contact him and he'll help you there, I thought my D100 was going to get taxed but he offered me something if I did get taxed which was great (In the end I didn't get taxed so his offer wasn't needed).

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #835 of 1,182
Well, I'm now part of the Yulong D100 community 
bigsmile_face.gif

First impressions with my HD650's, with about 50 hours of burn in, is such a drastic change from where I started just a couple of months back. 

I can't comment solidly on the sound yet but I'm liking what I hear and over all the HD650's sounds way more refined, granted that it was plugged in straight to my PC before.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #836 of 1,182
I have a question for you D100 users...

I can't seem to get the output sampling frequency to change from 24/96kHz.  This output reading exists no matter how much I upsample or downsample my sampling frequency in foobar.  This is only using the stock component, I have another component I want to try out to see if maybe that component can get the output to change.

I have a feeling it is an issue with the driver.  I know these can be run driverless (or so I thought), but the only way I can get the output sampling frequency to change is if I go into the control panel and alter it.  Note: Windows 7 user here.

Is there some specific way to run this piece of hardware driverless via USB?  Do I need to switch to coax (which I wont be able to do for a bit until I have access to my desktop)?

I have the options checked to allow other applications to control the device but it doesn't seem to matter.  My only option I seem to have left is to try the other foobar component.

Thanks for the help in advance

EDIT - I'm aware the unit can't do more than 24/96 via USB.  I'm just curious as to why the output sample frequency won't change when altered in foobar.  Results with coax will be interesting when I get the chance

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #837 of 1,182

Quote:
I have a question for you D100 users...

I can't seem to get the output sampling frequency to change from 24/96kHz.  This output reading exists no matter how much I upsample or downsample my sampling frequency in foobar.  This is only using the stock component, I have another component I want to try out to see if maybe that component can get the output to change.

I have a feeling it is an issue with the driver.  I know these can be run driverless (or so I thought), but the only way I can get the output sampling frequency to change is if I go into the control panel and alter it.  Note: Windows 7 user here.

Is there some specific way to run this piece of hardware driverless via USB?  Do I need to switch to coax (which I wont be able to do for a bit until I have access to my desktop)?

I have the options checked to allow other applications to control the device but it doesn't seem to matter.  My only option I seem to have left is to try the other foobar component.

Thanks for the help in advance

EDIT - I'm aware the unit can't do more than 24/96 via USB.  I'm just curious as to why the output sample frequency won't change when altered in foobar.  Results with coax will be interesting when I get the chance

You need to use Asio4All along with foobar, Win7 resamples everything to 24/96. Here's my D100 showing off various sample rates via S/PDIF:

It's via S/PDIF but USB should be the same as soon as you get Asio running :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #838 of 1,182

Quote:
You need to use Asio4All along with foobar, Win7 resamples everything to 24/96. Here's my D100 showing off various sample rates via S/PDIF:

It's via S/PDIF but USB should be the same as soon as you get Asio running :)

Thanks for that.  I suppose this would deem irrelevant any DSP I am using to upsample my music anyways, since ASIO is more or less for bit-perfect direct streaming to the digital device.

So this may not be needed.

Thanks anyways!  I might play around to see if going bit perfect and 44.1 is better than upsampling 44.1 to 88.2 or 96 or not (via foobar DSPs, NOT win7).

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #839 of 1,182
Thanks for that.  I suppose this would deem irrelevant any DSP I am using to upsample my music anyways, since ASIO is more or less for bit-perfect direct streaming to the digital device.

So this may not be needed.

Thanks anyways!  I might play around to see if going bit perfect and 44.1 is better than upsampling 44.1 to 88.2 or 96 or not (via foobar DSPs, NOT win7).

you don't need asio4all for this, just change the audio device settings from 96k/24b to whatever you want http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1111.html (the downside being resampling to lower SR and bitconverting down for higher quality material lol. although bitstuffing is free i think, so 44.1k/24b is ok for 44.1k/16b.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #840 of 1,182

Quote:
you don't need asio4all for this, just change the audio device settings from 96k/24b to whatever you want http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1111.html (the downside being resampling to lower SR and bitconverting down for higher quality material lol. although bitstuffing is free i think, so 44.1k/24b is ok for 44.1k/16b.

The problem is that this will still resample everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back