Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Sep 1, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #586 of 828
I'm using the Bryston-but I'm finding it very neutral, with a slightly bright top end that isn't nearly as bad as people make it seem. I've listened to 3-4 dacs in the past week with it and my HD800, and it's astounding how easy it is to pick out differences. I can all but guarantee your Zana is helping those mids along-and from what I gather, so is the v800.

-Daniel

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #587 of 828
Yeah, and both v800 and zana are very revealing, pairing together resulted in a very smooth, pleasing and revealing sounding setup. 

Frankly, I've never been kind of believing in interconnects, power cables things, but I have to admit that I do feel noticably huge improvement after changing to my ww ic, and after that, cabledyne stuff, really amazing and affordable choices. Don't wanna stir and change the topic, i just wanna share the revealing capability of the v800, and it also sounds great on some bad-recorded tracks too.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #589 of 828
Good choice since the usb implementation on the v800 is a little bit out dated. But they still achieved 'world-class' jitter elimination with 25ps with the SRC upsamping chip like John said on his review. 25ps is even higher than a so-so spdif converter like the m2tech hiface (50ps), which is oem'd in usb input section in some dacs like the metrum acoustic octave and hex. Anyway getting an audiophilleo probably improve the sonic, but i'm not sure its worth getting or not. So I still keep looking for an used Master 7 first, a few people reported its usb 32 is on par with the APP1 with PurePower, if im not lucky enough, I might pull the trigger on the APP2 (non PP) then.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #591 of 828
  Any news regarding the 24bit / 192khz USB in?

I haven't heard anything, but then again I haven't chatted with Fried in a while. I'll shoot him an email and see what the latest news is. 

In other news - maybe I'm late to the party, but I just noticed THIS write up over at Headfonia. It's a comparison between the V800/V200 stack and the Burson Conductor. Violectric comes off quite well I'd say. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #592 of 828
So, I heard from Fried. Wow, lots of things in the works over there! He has quite a few irons in the fire, though I'm not sure how far along they are at this point.

They really want to continue expanding the Lake People line as being a good choice for home users, rather than just studio gear. And they want it to remain (relatively) affordable. To that end there are at least three different Lake People DACs being discussed. A "deluxe" version which might be a trimmed down V800 with a simpler PSU. Then a "light" version which is more like an updated Lake People DAC C460 (yes they do have a DAC in their current line up). Then a "superlight" version which is even more trimmed down, maybe in the same enclosure as the little G103 amp. All Lake People DACs will probably have built-in headphone amps just like the current C460. 

I asked about the V800 and there are some plans there as well. Fried is thinking of releasing both step-up and step-down versions, though most core circuitry will remain the same. The cheaper version would simplify the front panel to just have source selection and SRC on/off - no mute button and no choice of SRC type. This model would get the new 192kHz USB card which should be ready by the end of the year (available for retrofit to current V800 models). Then there would be the slightly upgraded model which has remote capabilities using an expensive motorized pot.

There are also some plans for upgraded V200 models but I'll discuss those in the V200 thread. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #593 of 828
Hello there,

I just wanted to announce that we will attend the 2013 CanJam in Denver in a few days.
Maybe you are interested to take a closer look on Violectric !?

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #595 of 828
Hi, 

I hope you guys don't mind my noob question as I'm pretty new to this head fi hobby.

I've been considering the purchase of a V800 DAC and there's been quite some posts stating that the USB does not accept 88.2khz.

What does it mean actually?

The DAC being unable to read 88.2hz files supplied?

What other modes of transmission could I use to supply the DAC with 88.2hz files?

Would it support 176.4hz files as well?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #596 of 828
  Hi, 

I hope you guys don't mind my noob question as I'm pretty new to this head fi hobby.

I've been considering the purchase of a V800 DAC and there's been quite some posts stating that the USB does not accept 88.2khz.

What does it mean actually?

The DAC being unable to read 88.2hz files supplied?

What other modes of transmission could I use to supply the DAC with 88.2hz files?

Would it support 176.4hz files as well?

Thanks

That's correct - the USB input can handle streams in 44.1kHz, 48kHz, or 96kHz. No 88.2kHz, and nothing higher than 96kHz. To play those types, one would need to use some sort of resampling option in their playback software. Most programs like Foobar or Audirvana have good resampling on board so it isn't a massive drawback in the end. That said, Violectric should have updated USB sections coming soon. So if you need the unit right away, go for it, but if you can wait, it might be worth it.

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #597 of 828
replaced, in my speaker setup, my harman kardon hd970 cd player (used as a dac with it's spdif and coax input), with the rca out of the v800 (xlr out to v200)... and...

gave the cd player to my mom

bravo Violectric

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #598 of 828
  replaced, in my speaker setup, my harman kardon hd970 cd player (used as a dac with it's spdif and coax input), with the rca out of the v800 (xlr out to v200)... and...

gave the cd player to my mom

bravo Violectric

biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #599 of 828
Hi Guys

I've had a V800 for a few months now and seem to have a very different experience from the reviews I have read.

It is noted as being neutral but when listening combined with a V200 my V800 mine smooths out whatever music I feed it, creating a kind of blurry sound. Have compared it to my Oppo BDP-105 and CLAS -db analogue outputs which produce a much less warm sound, much clearer. Have been using these as transports to the V800 via Coaxial connections when using the V800.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it just me not enjoying the sound or does this sound different to how it should be?

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #600 of 828
I'd imagine that's the V200 doing it's signature thing. The V800 definitely doesn't blur anything over-it's very neutral and transparent-with a nice sense of blackground that helps the dynamics and instrument separation imo. Try it with a more neutral amp.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back