Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #601 of 840
My first thought was that it was the V200 but then I couldn't believe the difference when using the other sources.

Will try swapping everything else around the V800 and see how it goes.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #604 of 840
Have been trying it with Oppo BDP-105 or CypherLabs -db -> Standard Belkin Coax Cable -> V800 -> Decent XLR Cables -> V200 -> LCD-2r2 / HD650 / HD598.

Have also tried it with Macbook / Galaxy S4 into the supplied USB connection into the V800 which seems to sound a bit worse.

Also tried replacing the XLR cables with standard RCA cables.

Standard settings on everything. Using either none or best resampling. Standard gain on V200.

In all configurations I would have trouble describing the V800 as anything other than smooth or thick sounding. V200 sounds as I would expect using the Oppo or CLAS DAC outputs and all the same interconnects so I'm pretty sure it is the sound of the V800 I am isolating as what I am hearing.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #605 of 840
  Have been trying it with Oppo BDP-105 or CypherLabs -db -> Standard Belkin Coax Cable -> V800 -> Decent XLR Cables -> V200 -> LCD-2r2 / HD650 / HD598.

Have also tried it with Macbook / Galaxy S4 into the supplied USB connection into the V800 which seems to sound a bit worse.

Also tried replacing the XLR cables with standard RCA cables.

Standard settings on everything. Using either none or best resampling. Standard gain on V200.

In all configurations I would have trouble describing the V800 as anything other than smooth or thick sounding. V200 sounds as I would expect using the Oppo or CLAS DAC outputs and all the same interconnects so I'm pretty sure it is the sound of the V800 I am isolating as what I am hearing.

The V800 should have no sound, so something is definitely wrong here... It's a dead neutral DAC under normal circumstances. Did you take a look inside or make any measurements?

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #606 of 840

The V800 should have no sound, so something is definitely wrong here... It's a dead neutral DAC under normal circumstances. Did you take a look inside or make any measurements?

Sadly I wouldn't know what to look for if I did take a look inside.

If it's easy to explain what I should check for then an explanation would be very helpful appreciated.

I'm not the first owner so I'm not sure whether any modifications have been made inside (I notice that there are some internal settings mentioned with regards to the V200 and V800).

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #607 of 840
yeah you should check that,

search this and the v200 thread for instructions, i posted a couple of how to,

default settings and instructions are detailed in the v200 and v800 manuals too,

just the main ground jumper on both v200 and v800 should be by default set on LIFT position, and not GND position like it's stated in the manual, print error

and what i know smooths a lot the sound, from my experiences, is having both devices main ground jumper set to gnd instead of the default lift, and having the v200 set to DC operation instead of the default AC

also check that the v800 output level dip switches inside the device are positioned to the default position OFF (not ON)

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #608 of 840
  yeah you should check that,

search this and the v200 thread for instructions, i posted a couple of how to,

default settings and instructions are detailed in the v200 and v800 manuals too,

just the main ground jumper on both v200 and v800 should be by default set on LIFT position, and not GND position like it's stated in the manual, print error

and what i know smooths a lot the sound, from my experiences, is having both devices main ground jumper set to gnd instead of the default lift, and having the v200 set to DC operation instead of the default AC

also check that the v800 output level dip switches inside the device are positioned to the default position OFF (not ON)

Hi Roskodan
Sorry but am a little confused from what you write regarding the groundlift jumpers.

You write first that they should be by default set to LIFT [on the manual it states set to GND] and that this is a print error.

Then you say they sound better set to GND [default]

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #609 of 840
Thanks for your help roksodan. Much better instructions than the official ones!

The internal dip switches were not set to default (set at 6) which seems to make more of difference than I would expect. Need some more listening time to be sure what is going on..

What should the XLR ground/chassis/lift switches be set to?

Also, i'm guessing that the PCB labelling is correct? I had the instructions in front of me and I think they didn't match for the main ground/lift switch.

Haven't opened up the V200 since it is new I imagine it should all be default settings.

Thanks again!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #610 of 840
yes new v200 should be at default as follows: pot jumpers set to AC, main ground set to lift, xlr ground set to gnd

v800 defaults are the same, plus the output level dip switches are default set to position OFF (not ON)

in the v800 manual it is confusing cos the output level dip switches position is represented by the black portion (which is smaller) not the white (the bigger portion) while the actual little switches inside the device are white (on blue casing), anyway there is a white text label "ON" on the blue dip switches elements, so default would be all dip switches away from it (that would be position OFF, which is not labeled)

when changing output level only one dip switch at a time should be positioned to ON, on each of the two elements (one is for right channel the other for left channel), switches on both elements should be set always to the same value, if not one channel would be louder then the other, and the dBu value on the board is for xlr output, rca output is 9dB below that

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #611 of 840
Main GND should be set to GND as default...or is there an error in both manuals? Fried can you confirm this?

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #612 of 840
yes violectric confirmed all devices ships with main ground set to LIFT as default since beginning of production, the manual is probably picturing an earlier prototype scheme 

that's how my devices and all devices i saw in pictures came set to, LIFT

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #613 of 840
Anybody considering buying Violectric gear for black Friday (or anytime in the near future)? Violectric USA is now open for business! This is the new North American distributor for all Violectric products. It's not Violectric directly, but handled by someone I can personally vouch for. This same distributor also handles Matrix Audio products and has shown great customer service on that end (see the Matrix X-Sabre thread for some examples of impressed customers). 

Not exactly a black Friday special, but you can call it one if it makes you feel better..... they have some demo units on sale. These were used by Fried Reim at CanJam at RMAF a few months back, so they have seen very little use. There's a V200 with the 24/96 USB DAC option for $799! Then another V200 with no DAC for the same price, since that USB DAC model is going to disappear quickly I'm sure. There's a V181 for $799 - despite living in the shadow of V200, V181 is an excellent balanced headphone amp. And even a V800 DAC with a $260 discount. Get them while they last because those prices are great.

The good part about Violectric USA is that he keeps a physical stock of (most) product. So one can order without worrying about import duties - which was a common thing when ordering direct from Violectric in Germany. The new 24/192 USB modules are not quite ready but as soon as they are, Violectric USA will have some units with that option as well. I have not yet asked him about Lake People models but I suspect those will be available at some point as well - which is excellent news (G109, my favorite sub-$500 amp).  

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #614 of 840
  Anybody considering buying Violectric gear for black Friday (or anytime in the near future)? Violectric USA is now open for business! This is the new North American distributor for all Violectric products. It's not Violectric directly, but handled by someone I can personally vouch for. This same distributor also handles Matrix Audio products and has shown great customer service on that end (see the Matrix X-Sabre thread for some examples of impressed customers). 

Not exactly a black Friday special, but you can call it one if it makes you feel better..... they have some demo units on sale. These were used by Fried Reim at CanJam at RMAF a few months back, so they have seen very little use. There's a V200 with the 24/96 USB DAC option for $799! Then another V200 with no DAC for the same price, since that USB DAC model is going to disappear quickly I'm sure. There's a V181 for $799 - despite living in the shadow of V200, V181 is an excellent balanced headphone amp. And even a V800 DAC with a $260 discount. Get them while they last because those prices are great.

The good part about Violectric USA is that he keeps a physical stock of (most) product. So one can order without worrying about import duties - which was a common thing when ordering direct from Violectric in Germany. The new 24/192 USB modules are not quite ready but as soon as they are, Violectric USA will have some units with that option as well. I have not yet asked him about Lake People models but I suspect those will be available at some point as well - which is excellent news (G109, my favorite sub-$500 amp).  

I am not from the US, but this is great news nevertheless. Can you give an estimate when the 24/192 module for the V800 will be ready? I am really looking forward to that.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #615 of 840
  I am not from the US, but this is great news nevertheless. Can you give an estimate when the 24/192 module for the V800 will be ready? I am really looking forward to that.

Not sure on the new USB. Fried had mentioned wanting it done by the end of the year. That was a while back and I don't know if he is on target to meet that goal or not. But it should be a good general indicator that we'll see it within the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back