Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Aug 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #571 of 840
Quote:

Same applies for Esoteric, MSB, Resonessence Labs, Luxman, Auralic, Light Harmonic, Wadia, Bel Canto, dCS, etc. Apparently all of them are making a mistake by offering digital domain volume controls. 

Right, what's wrong with them? Seems that a kind of hi-fi conspiracy is going on here....

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #573 of 840
Quote:
Nothing. That was my point. On the last page, Baxide commented that digital volume controls have no place on expensive DACs. I was just showing a list of companies who make nice DACs that would disagree with him. 

I completely got your point, my comment was not to be taken seriously. As always it's all about correct implementation! Perfectionists like MSB or dCS would never put digital volume control in their DACs if it was such a big no-no.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #575 of 840
Quote:
MSB Analog uses an analog control. Not sure about other models.

-Daniel

Well, with a name like "Analog DAC" you can't really implement digital volume control
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #579 of 840
V800 in the house. Oh cool-worked fine on the SBT/EDO usb on the first try-I feel like I won something there.
tongue_smile.gif
First impressions-it meshes much better with the HD800/BHA-1 than the Gagnir did. Nice detail, treble that sounds prominent enough that it should bother me with the Senn, but somehow doesn't. Bass is nice an impactful, vocals are ok but I wish they had just a touch more warmth/moisture to them. Yes-moisture.

More to come...

-Daniel

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #581 of 840
It's trademarked-tread carefully. I shouldn't be to harsh on the Gagnir because it really came down to not mating with my system...at all. In fact the HD800/Gag/BHA-1 is some of the worst sound I've heard in this hobby. I ended up unplugging the Schiit and used the analog outs of my SBT. Which brings up another point-everytime I am dac-less, I have to use the SBT outs. I always expect the worst, but am ALWAYS pleasently surprised at it's impressive sound quality at that price! In fact other than being pretty lacking in the bass-I don't really have any problems with it. I bet a Kingrex PSU would fix that annoyance anyway if I wanted.

Back to the v800-continues to impress. I gotta admit I love the looks in pictures, but in person I don't find it quite as attractive. It's usually the other way around. I also thought it would be a bit heftier-but then again I've had some pretty heavy stuff coming through here lately. I hope to pick up a BMC PureDac soon to compare to the Bryston/v800. I have a feeling it will be either complete crap or a huge bargain. Don't ask me why.

Back to v800-what's the 'mod' thing I remember reading a lot of people here were doing that seemed to bring the sound quality up another notch?? Seemed like it had something to do with the AC/DC internal switch, jumpers etc...grasping here...

-Daniel

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #582 of 840
John...you've gotta help me get a handle on this dac...I've heard nothing like it. Tons of positives...few weird quirks...easiest dac for me to pick apart honestly, and I never thought I'd say that about a dac. I know I will spend more time with it...but I have some absolute certainties already that are plain as day...just as easy to tell listening to this dac as it is switching a headphone or amp imo....I've got a lot to say already...and a lot more listening to do....WOW. Both good, great, meh, and huh? Interesting stuff to say the least...and fun.
cool.gif

-Daniel

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #583 of 840
The AC/DC and Lift Ground jumper settings are for the V200, there is pretty much nothing is needed to change beside the internal gain setting for XLR output.

Have fun with your V800 and tell us more about your impressions 
size]

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #584 of 840
Oops maybe I was thinking of the v200 then.
redface.gif
 My one immediate gripe with the v800 is the somewhat dry and flat vocals, if that makes sense. I bet the v200 kinda makes up for that with it's warmth-and was thinking a tube amp would be ideal. I'd imagine that Zana does the trick with that...?

-Daniel

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #585 of 840
I actually never found the vocal dry and flat, perhaps the v200 and the zana's tubey signatures helped it. The other amps that I've tried with the v800 were also hybrid amp like the the Lyr, so can't commend on other amps when pairing with the v800.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back