Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Feb 2, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #736 of 828
What groundlift jumper settings are recommended and what are the difference between them. I use the v800 together with the v200 which have the same type of settings. Are there certain types of combination of settings between the two units that are not recommended to try or will result in a bad listening experience?

What will the difference in sound be between the AC/DC alternatives.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #737 of 828
hello! i am transplanting this from another thread i was discussing it in, filled with schiit fanboys. that name still makes me laugh!

anyways, the v800 has definitely caught my interest

You can buy Bifrost and Gungnir as delta-sigma ($399, $849) or multibit ($599, $1249). Also keep in mind that there are different approaches to dealing with the high-frequency noise from switching in a multibit (R2R) DAC. Schiit uses their own proprietary low-pass filter (nicknamed the "combo burrito filter") based on an exact solution of the relevant filter equations. Others use other techniques, including NOS (no-oversampling) which is simply not to filter and let downstream components, including your ears, do their own low-pass filtering (I guess that would work well if downstream components were all perfectly linear, but they won't quite be, so it's possible that the high-frequency noise passing through would contaminate the audible spectrum).

this whole multibit vs delta sigma, & balanced vs unbalanced game has had me all over the internet this weekend. you guys have helped me a bunch with this decision. Yet it will still be wildly difficult to make!

for about 24 more hours, the vioelectric v800 v2 will be on sale for $700. the bimby is $600.

Violectric V800 used to be the best Dac I owned, but now it's been replaced by the Bimby. This thing does everything right to my ears. Such a pleasure to listen to.
Best $250 I spent. Sure, it makes me want to own the Yggy someday, but I could be easily happy with the Bimby.

I've read a lot of review of both individually, so I know they are both unique from each other, and both great DACs. The big difference is that one is balanced and the other is not. I'm not set on just these two DACs, but if I want to go with the V800 now would be a good time to do it.

So what I get to decide is whether or not the extra $500-600 is worth the upgrade to balanced (selling my current amp, getting new headphone cables, ~$500 balanced amp, and v800 price difference)

suppose in both scenarios I decided to spring for a balanced amp. How big of a factor is the DAC being balanced when the amp is? does it defeat the purpose of going balanced? Do I need to go big with the Gumby to get a balanced DAC that can even make it worthwhile? or maybe going multibit will pay off more than my source being balanced, as sling5s discovered.

the reading continues..

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #739 of 828
Idk what headphones you plan on using. That info would help.

thanks for your reply! i will be getting the hifiman he-400i. I originally planned my budget around that headphone, which is why I was hesitant to go balanced. But I've that balanced can be a real payoff with that headphone. Hard to put a price on these things!

I will check out those amps you mentioned, will help me decide if any of my balanced plan makes sense or not. It looks like it isn't a terrible idea which is good to know.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #740 of 828
so small update: i am not going with the vioelectric v800.. yet..
today i was surprised to learn that i needed four new tires for my car. but also, back in january two v800s sold on ebay for less than $500. and with so many options out there that i still haven't explored, i think i should wait for something like that to pop along. The upside of this story, is that makes everyone's responses to my questions that much more valuable, so thanks again! hopefully when this is all said and done i can possibly be useful on the forums!

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #741 of 828
  What groundlift jumper settings are recommended and what are the difference between them. I use the v800 together with the v200 which have the same type of settings. Are there certain types of combination of settings between the two units that are not recommended to try or will result in a bad listening experience?

What will the difference in sound be between the AC/DC alternatives.

I did some testing myself and together with the LCD-2F I came to the conclusion that stock settings on both the v800 and v200 sounded the best, to my ears anyway.

Fiddling with the ground/lift jumper and the internal gain switches sort of muffled the sound. Stock settings brought out the most clarity. But then again this could very well be dependent on which headphones that are used. The LCD-2's already has a bit rolled off treble and just gets better with a little more clarity.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #742 of 828
  We´ve tested the USB 24/192 Tenor Chipset inside DAC V800 and found it perfectly working with
Windows XP, Vista, 8, 8.1 and 10.
From the measurements the frequency range is ruler flat with all OS,
this also concerns to THD.
Best Regards

Fried Reim

Need help please!

Got my V800 V2 from massdrop, I'm running a windows 10 pc, using foobar 2000 in wasapi event mode to V800's usb input, when I pause and then play again in foobar, foobar can't continue to play, switched to another song manually got the same result.

In the "supported formats" tab of vio usb audio device properties dialog(playback devices->digital output(vio usb audio device)->properties), press the test button of any sample rates, it says "The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?" press OK, I can here the test sound, foobar popup a "Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error (88890026)" message, then I can resume the playback.

Every time when I paused playing, I should do this again to resume playing.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #745 of 828
Im now comparing with the V800 against my old hifime u2...

really i don't get it, the V800 is little more real sounding, got clearer soundstage, highs and overall sound is more relaxed, and there is a bit more micro-detail...
does it worth spending the money? hell no, the only reason i still have this dac is because it fixed the problem i had with the hifime which was its highs wich was really not for me (they were too sharp)

so Im asking myself were did i go wrong, maybe i missed something with the v800... 
the only thing i can think of is maybe i need to use the coax input instead of USB.

anyone had the same "problem"?

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #747 of 828
"really i don't get it, the V800 is little more real sounding, got clearer soundstage, highs and overall sound is more relaxed, and there is a bit more micro-detail.."

Seems worth the expense to me??????? :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #748 of 828
Your amp and headphone are your bottlenecks now instead of the dac? Interconnects? Clean power? It sounds like you've reached your first speed bump in climbing the ladder of diminishing returns to the point of excess, ultimately reaching the hilarity of being an audiophile.

Dac upgrades, like interconnects and headphone cables should yield the smallest amounts of performance gains.

Idk enough about your setup to make an educated guess, so I'm going with a generalization based on my own experience. My dac, power conditioner, usb and ac power cables were my last investments into my rig. Headphones and amps (transducers) made a larger difference/ had a larger impact imo/ime.

well after i posted thoughts here i talked with a guy that told me that maybe it is my amp, though its a very nice amp it might be the bottlenecks... (never tried other amps with the V800)
The problem is not in my speakers or the headphones that's for sure.

"really i don't get it, the V800 is little more real sounding, got clearer soundstage, highs and overall sound is more relaxed, and there is a bit more micro-detail.."

Seems worth the expense to me??????? :)

lol
i wrote after this that its not worth the money, the changes are really tiny, i think that in blind test it will be even harder for me to recognize what I'm listening to...

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #749 of 828
I did some testing myself and together with the LCD-2F I came to the conclusion that stock settings on both the v800 and v200 sounded the best, to my ears anyway.

Fiddling with the ground/lift jumper and the internal gain switches sort of muffled the sound. Stock settings brought out the most clarity. But then again this could very well be dependent on which headphones that are used. The LCD-2's already has a bit rolled off treble and just gets better with a little more clarity.

I'm using the v800+v200+LCD2F combo, At the default setting, I found the sound is a bit loud, most time the volume is at 9-10 o'clock.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #750 of 828
Suffered a "Unrecoverable playback error: Timeout" error in foobar. Every time the error occured I have to unplug the usb cable, wait for a while and replug it again, Send a email to freid, but get no response. very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back