Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Mar 30, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #752 of 840
I'm using windows 10 and using the vio asio driver.

I reinstall the windows 10 system, the issue is stll there. It happened about ten days ago, at first, I think may be quickly switch song cause the problem, but yesterday, I turn on computer and linstened for about 10 minutes, it happened again.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #754 of 840
Thanks ArthurPower! I will try jriver.

My computer has coaxial output, but it doesn't 88.2 and 176.4MHZ, maybe I should looking for a cheap sound card with coaxial output that support this sample rate.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #755 of 840
does anyone know if this company is likely to jump on the dsd bandwagon in future models?

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #756 of 840
Good afternoon Friends, it is not often that I am blown away, but today I am!

I have just set up my V200 and V800 (recent acquisitions) with balanced cables (having initially used RCA interconnects) and using my Fiio X5, AK100 and Squeezebox Touch as Coaxial, Optical and USB inputs I have had a number of lengthy listening sessions.

Wow! Just Wow!

I have found my end game, using HE 500's, AKG K702's, RHA T20's and Grado HiF1 2's the sounds are magical. This combination of DAC, Amp, cables and transport makes my music collection sound so fantastic. I have moved through the hobby over the last four years with iFi gear, a Chord Hugo and other well regarded gear, but the Violectric kit is giving me the consistency in sound that I have been chasing.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and conversations and a big thank you to Fried who has answered all of my emails and given thoughtful and supportive advice.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #757 of 840
I've recently ordered a new Liquid Carbon amp.  In preparation for the amp, I also ordered a Violectric V800 V2 DAC which I already received.  I've tested the DAC by connecting it to a mac-mini that I use to run my Bel Canto system and the DAC worked great as a pre-amp for my independent amps (using the balance outputs).  I also connected it to my Gemtune APPJ PA1502A and it worked great (again with the Mac-mini as the source, but this time with my Alpha Primes as headphones).  

But then I tried to connect the Violectric DAC to my iphone 5s and Ipad using the camera cable and an Amazon USB powered hub.   The was good for a few seconds, and then started stuttering (from both the ipad and the iphone).  I then swapped out the Violectric with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and everything sounded normal again.

So by process of elimination, it seems that the Violectric DAC does not play nicely with an idevice using a powered hub with the camera cable.  Is this likely a problem with my hub (if so is there a powered hub you recommend), or will the Violectric simply not support idevices?

I want to get this sorted before my liquid carbon arrives because my plan was for the Violectric and LC to be my bedside rig and I was primarily going to use one of my idevices as the source.

Thanks!

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #761 of 840
Apple lowered/limited the available power output (via a camera connection kit) in iOS a few years ago making a powered hub necessary for most DACs. The problem you're having now though may be related to the USB interface chip used in your V800. Do you have a V800 V1 or V2? Tenor or XMOS? If you're not sure contact me through Violectric USA for support.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #763 of 840
The last V800 drop was for the V1 (original version). However, this DAC is easily upgradable to the V2 XMOS USB interface. This is required for full apple compatibility along with 24/192 support. Please contact us through Violectric USA for details.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #764 of 840
Mine serial is v800859, can you tell if it is V2 from that serial number?   I'm a bit confused when you say the last v800 drop was for V1.   Here is a screen grab from my transactions page on Massdrop:

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #765 of 840
I think there was one more drop after the date you received yours. The V2 on Massdrop was sold with the standard Tenor 24/192 USB interface. The XMOS option was available for additional cost when you checked out. Only the XMOS interface supports iOS.

The V800 has never been listed as compatible with Apple mobile devices. OS X on a Mac yes (with a required driver installation) but, not iOS.

The XMOS option was added primary for Apple users who did not want to download and install a driver in OS X. It's plug and play since the driver is included in the Apple Kernel. iOS also includes the driver for XMOS devices.

If you did not opt for the XMOS option then you have a Tenor based unit. If you would like to upgrade please contact us on the Violectric USA website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back