Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,726 of 3,058
Quote:
The Audinst is my only dac/amp.

So it makes an audible difference by using a V200 (amp) + Audinst (dac)?
Should I get a new DAC, too?

I really would love to spend some money :)

The V200 amp is much better than the Audinst amp and it is a decent dac for the price but if you are willing to spend you can get better and separate units too.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,729 of 3,058
Quote:
I really would love to spend some money :)

Sometime I do feel like spending money too 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,730 of 3,058
Hi Everyone,

Oh happy day! My V200 has arrived from AphroditeCu29. The transaction with Robert was a pleasure in every respect. Highly recommended.

I just had time for a quick listen on my Hifiman HE-500, but even cold out of the box, it was sooo hard to put them down... the worst case of one-more-song that I've had in a very long time. With the addition of the V200, it became so organic, so engaging and musical. The soundstage presentation is way improved. Headphone listening just took on a whole new era for me . I have to say that all of you guys who commented and reviewed the V200 were exactly on target in all of your descriptions of the V200. Well done to all of you. As you can tell, I'm really happy. 

This is a mind-blowing step-up from an all ready good RSA SR-71a portable amp, I had no idea of just how good the HE-500 really is until this morning. Sometimes all the high-end audio descriptions, for as valuable as they are, get a bit bit tedious,... when the bottom line is does the system sound like real music and does carry you away (or not). The V200, at least in the context of my system and my tastes, truly does.  

The rest of the system goes like this:

Mac Mini - Audirvana Plus Music Player - Locus Axis USB - Wyrd4Sound DAC2 - Less Loss Anchorwaves Interconects (Balanced) - V200 - HE-500 (stock thin-silver cable still).

It really sings. Never a note that makes you want to cringe, but all the detail you want. Fabulous bass. Midrange magic. Soundstage... it's all there. More to follow. I have to leave on a week long business trip. Talk about crummy timing. More to follow when I get back and everything settles in.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,731 of 3,058
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Oh happy day! My V200 has arrived from AphroditeCu29. The transaction with Robert was a pleasure in every respect. Highly recommended.

I just had time for a quick listen on my Hifiman HE-500, but even cold out of the box, it was sooo hard to put them down... the worst case of one-more-song that I've had in a very long time. With the addition of the V200, it became so organic, so engaging and musical. The soundstage presentation is way improved. Headphone listening just took on a whole new era for me . I have to say that all of you guys who commented and reviewed the V200 were exactly on target in all of your descriptions of the V200. Well done to all of you. As you can tell, I'm really happy. 

This is a mind-blowing step-up from an all ready good RSA SR-71a portable amp, I had no idea of just how good the HE-500 really is until this morning. Sometimes all the high-end audio descriptions, for as valuable as they are, get a bit bit tedious,... when the bottom line is does the system sound like real music and does carry you away (or not). The V200, at least in the context of my system and my tastes, truly does.  

The rest of the system goes like this:

Mac Mini - Audirvana Plus Music Player - Locus Axis USB - Wyrd4Sound DAC2 - Less Loss Anchorwaves Interconects (Balanced) - V200 - HE-500 (stock thin-silver cable still).

It really sings. Never a note that makes you want to cringe, but all the detail you want. Fabulous bass. Midrange magic. Soundstage... it's all there. More to follow. I have to leave on a week long business trip. Talk about crummy timing. More to follow when I get back and everything settles in.

Thanks Again Everyone!

the secret/power might lie in your lessloss cables lol

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,732 of 3,058
Quote:
the secret/power might lie in your lessloss cables lol

Yep.... those cables are pretty special for sure. That being said, I'm not looking to start a debate about cables. This isn't the place and the subject  tends to get way too polarizing, but I have obviously invested very heavily into cables. It's goes even deeper... as I'm also a big fan of the Triode Power Lab power cables. Like I said, I'm not looking to start a debate as it get way to heated and way to polarizing for me to enjoy, but to me, cables are very important to faithfully reproducing music, just my experience...  your mileage can, and probably will, vary. :)  I still can't believe how the V200 just snapped my headphone system into place. I guess that's why they call it a "system." So taken in total it looks like this:

Triode Power Lab Cable - Blue Circle Power "Silly-Cone filter" - 3 more Triode Power Labs Cables

- V200 -  Stock Silver Cables - HE500 
Mac Mini - Audirvana Plus - Locus Axis USB - Wyrd4Sound DAC2 - Lessloss (Bal XLR) -
                                                                                                                          - Dynaudio BM5a

At the moment....  I have to flip the Lessloss cables and one of the Triode Power Labs (between the V200 or BM5a) to go from Headphone mode to Speaker mode, as needed. Lately,, I've been 90% headphone mode and 10% speaker mode. Hence the investment in the the V200.

The BM5a speakers basically sit on the floor, on 2" maple blocks that are spiked through the carpet to the floor. The front of the speaker is tipped way up by a fourth very tall brass spike. It's way off the beaten path, but it sounds jaw-droppingly great. You would think that the soundstage would bury itself into the floor, but it magically floats way up and the speakers totally disappear. The bass is way better than you would expect, I think they like the boundary reinforcement off the floor.. It's really unusual and all kind of creepy in an great way and really fun way.

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,734 of 3,058
Quote:
 So taken in total it looks like this:

Triode Power Lab Cable - Blue Circle Power "Silly-Cone filter" - 3 more Triode Power Labs Cables

- V200 -  Stock Silver Cables - HE500 
Mac Mini - Audirvana Plus - Locus Axis USB - Wyrd4Sound DAC2 - Lessloss (Bal XLR) -
                                                                                                                          - Dynaudio BM5a

At the moment....  I have to flip the Lessloss cables and one of the Triode Power Labs (between the V200 or BM5a) to go from Headphone mode to Speaker mode, as needed. Lately,, I've been 90% headphone mode and 10% speaker mode. Hence the investment in the the V200.

Interesting comments about the Triode Wire Labs cables.  They seem to be getting some very good reviews and are well-liked over on Audiocircle. I have been meaning to demo them in my system.

If you have a chance at some point, you might look into a Running Springs Haley power conditioner.  I found that the addition of the Haley to my headphone rig really improved the sound, through increased detail and transparency.  And these days a used Haley will not cost much more than 2 TWL power cords. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,735 of 3,058
So I recently got the v800 to go with my v200 (for the sake of discussion, we'll call this combination the v1000 from now on). 

The only problem is that my music is very loud, the volume pot on my v200 never goes past 12, even with the -6dB switched on.  From what I have read form this thread, Fried mentioned that the volume pot should be past the 12 o' clock position for slight improvement on sound.  As for the source (which is fed by my laptop) both the DAC and Foobar is maxed as I believe that I should maximize the source.

Is there any other way to lower the volume, so I can play with the volume knob a bit more/fine tune the volume in the v200?  Currently it sits at 9-10 o clock and it is very very loud with my RS1-i..

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,736 of 3,058
Hi,

You can open the DAC and toggle the gain switches so the gain is lower. I keep my DAC at normal +15dB gain, but sometimes it can be a bit loud. The gain is the same as on the V200 and can be adjusted lower or higher. The highest setting is +24dB and the lowest is +6dB. For your RS1i I would say lower it to +6dB. 

You need a torx bit to open the V800 and takes a #2.5 bit. These can be found at hardware stores and should be quite common.

Quote:
So I recently got the v800 to go with my v200 (for the sake of discussion, we'll call this combination the v1000 from now on). 

The only problem is that my music is very loud, the volume pot on my v200 never goes past 12, even with the -6dB switched on.  From what I have read form this thread, Fried mentioned that the volume pot should be past the 12 o' clock position for slight improvement on sound.  As for the source (which is fed by my laptop) both the DAC and Foobar is maxed as I believe that I should maximize the source.

Is there any other way to lower the volume, so I can play with the volume knob a bit more/fine tune the volume in the v200?  Currently it sits at 9-10 o clock and it is very very loud with my RS1-i..

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,737 of 3,058
Quote:

Is there a volume control on the V800?  There appears to be one in the photos.  With the power off, just set your V200 amp volume pot at the 3 O'clock position and then, with power on, gradually increase the volume on the DAC from zero.  You can adjust the V200 gain as needed.  I have my V200 set at the 3 O'clock position all the time and my DAC output is in the middle of the range.  I have the V200 pre gain set to -6 db.  This is the way I manage my V200 (using my Oppo 95 DAC) -- it sounds great.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,738 of 3,058
Quote:
Hi,

You can open the DAC and toggle the gain switches so the gain is lower. I keep my DAC at normal +15dB gain, but sometimes it can be a bit loud. The gain is the same as on the V200 and can be adjusted lower or higher. The highest setting is +24dB and the lowest is +6dB. For your RS1i I would say lower it to +6dB. 

You need a torx bit to open the V800 and takes a #2.5 bit. These can be found at hardware stores and should be quite common.

Wait, so lowest, in terms of lowering the volume is actually +6?  I think I've been going in the opposite direction to lower the volume by using -6

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #1,739 of 3,058
Be a little careful as graphics are printed kind of inverse in the V800 manual. Black are the buttons not white. Also remember to adjust both channels!

I have the V800 set on +18 and the V200 on either -6 or -12 on the pre-gain and using the XLR connection. My listening on the volume pot is 12-3pm. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,740 of 3,058
Hi,

On the V800 the lowest is +6dB, on the V200 it's -6dB.

Quote:
Wait, so lowest, in terms of lowering the volume is actually +6?  I think I've been going in the opposite direction to lower the volume by using -6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back