Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #1,502 of 3,058
Quote:
'Huge soundstage amp" ?
Has anyone heard huge soundstage at acoustic concerts? The huge soundstage is more audiophile desire and music reproduction phenomenon than characteristic of the real sound. Live acoustic music sounds "muddy", "slow", with rolled-off treble, no intrument separation and no dynamics compared to some "audiophile" stuff.
wink.gif

You are joking, right?

Quote:
I've been to a few live concerts and nothing has a huge soundstage. I heard 'A Day To Remember' a few years back at Warp Tour and it was a muddy mess. Not too coherent.

That's kind of why I like the T1 though. It feels and sounds like a concert in ways (more intimate soundstage, smooth highs, more pronounced bass). I like that signature more than have a super clear and airy sound, like the HD800.

I'm sure designers of HD800 or T1 didn't take large PA boxes and horn loaded tweeters at rock concerts as a reference. If you listen to chamber ensembles in smaller spaces you'll hear much more details than you'll hear with T1 but also not in 'in your face' manner like with HD800.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,504 of 3,058
Ok, let's put  'muddy, slow, rolled-off treble, no instrument separation' aside, but dynamics, c'mon. I've never heard anything nearly as dynamic i've heard at concert hall. Even when there's a ton of power in amp.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,505 of 3,058
Quote:
No.
I've listened to lots of (classical, jazz, folk, bulgarian and even serbian :) ) acoustic ensembles in small places and believe me, it's nothing like the sound that most audiophiles want :)

Actually, from hearing years of bands throughout the 80's playing in a mid-sized club/hall I do have to agree the same with rock music.
Most bands more often then not wanted the guitars or synths to blast to the highest deicibals, bass to rumble so the ground shook, drums to rock the house, and vocals, well, they were there 
bigsmile_face.gif
, lost somewhere in the middle. Even more pop oriented acts wanted one to feel the full musical experience, often at the cost of the mids and clear vocals. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,506 of 3,058
Quote:
[size=10pt]I'm not a big believer in burn-in electronics[/size]

Might seem that i have to reconsider my thoughts on this.. It seem to me that the sound keep on improving as i keep listening to this amplifier, and i only got about 10 hours on it yet!
And i would realy be interested in seeing a non bias comparison of the USB 24/96module and the V800! Considering that the cabinet of the V100 cost more than the G100, i can't help to think that the 24/96 module must be realy good vfm if you take in consideration the probable cost of the V800 cabinet and powersuply.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,507 of 3,058
VFM are not the same as de facto better sound, my friend. :)

Glad you like your new V200, though. I was like you not a big believer of burn-in either, but after some experience - I´ve become an agnostic.

Looking beyond that - I know that our ears adpot to new sound signatures quite quick, but if you have the possibility to re-calibrate by listening to other components - you won´t get biased the same way.

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,508 of 3,058
Quote:
VFM are not the same as de facto better sound, my friend. :)

Glad you like your new V200, though. I was like you not a big believer of burn-in either, but after some experience - I´ve become an agnostic.

Looking beyond that - I know that our ears adpot to new sound signatures quite quick, but if you have the possibility to re-calibrate by listening to other components - you won´t get biased the same way.

So would you say that the V800 would be a worth while investment towards my seek for audio nirvana, or would i perhaps have a greater audiophile epiphany investing in a pair of LCD-2s?

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,511 of 3,058
Does anyone here have the V200 amp and the Anedio D1 dac/amp? It sounds like the amp in the D1 is better or at least with the headphones I have in the AD2k and HD800 but more the latter.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,512 of 3,058
Quote:
So would you say that the V800 would be a worth while investment towards my seek for audio nirvana, or would i perhaps have a greater audiophile epiphany investing in a pair of LCD-2s?

For me, in your circumstances, I would buy a decent DAC first rather than the LCD-2.

If you do buy the V800, it is hopeless on it's usb input, therefore, I had reservations about you having the usb module on the V200 in one of my earlier replies to you. The input sounds really closed in, flat and dull. By adding a HiFace two, and using the coax input, the sonic improvements are immense. 

I have the LCD-2 and on a third party cable, it is sheer bliss. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,513 of 3,058
@ Guzmeister. What do you want to tweak / tune in the sound signature? Easier to provide a pice of advice if you tell what you want more / less of. :)

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,514 of 3,058
Quote:
If you do buy the V800, it is hopeless on it's usb input, therefore, I had reservations about you having the usb module on the V200 in one of my earlier replies to you. The input sounds really closed in, flat and dull. By adding a HiFace two, and using the coax input, the sonic improvements are immense. 

I find it a bit hard to believe that such an ambitious product as the V800 would output such significant diferences in sound, varying on which input you choose. Is it the Hiface that is so superior compared to a normal S/PDIF that makes such an impact? Or is the USB just that bad?
Quote:
@ Guzmeister. What do you want to tweak / tune in the sound signature? Easier to provide a pice of advice if you tell what you want more / less of.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, it's realy way to early to start any tweaking, considering i only just started using my V200
smile_phones.gif
I am a bit bothered by some sharp sibilanse, but I suspect the music is to blame, and not my equipment...

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,515 of 3,058
Quote:
I find it a bit hard to believe that such an ambitious product as the V800 would output such significant diferences in sound, varying on which input you choose. Is it the Hiface that is so superior compared to a normal S/PDIF that makes such an impact? Or is the USB just that bad?
Well, it's realy way to early to start any tweaking, considering i only just started using my V200
smile_phones.gif
I am a bit bothered by some sharp sibilanse, but I suspect the music is to blame, and not my equipment...

Hearing a V800 on USB versus Coax using an Audiophilleo gives you a substantial lift in clarity, separation and sound stage depth. I have
 only ever heard a few DAC products under $2000 that manage to sound above mediocre eg, CEntrance DacMini, the Peachtree line of
 of gear, I suppose the AudioLab M-DAC defends itself pretty well etc

Most kit does not end up reducing the jitter to anything below 40 picoseconds or so - you don't know how bad it is until you encounter
 such a device like the M2tech or Audiophilleo range - no going back from that.

Generally speaking - it is unreasonable to expect perfect master clocking at this price point when you consider that over in Hi-Fi
 land some are paying north of $5000 for a device that only performs this function. Not for a DAC - just a clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back