Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,531 of 3,079
Agree with almost everything you said 
biggrin.gif

I had the LCD-2 for a while then switched to the HE-500.  I would be happy with either headphone.  I like certain qualities in both headphones.  However, based on my experience with LCD-2 rev1/2, I find the HE-500 cleaner or maybe another word is transparent.  I think the LCD-2 has a slight edge in resolution, especially with fast-paced music but for jazz I find the HE-500 to be the better headphone for me.  I don't listen to a lot of rock or pop so I am definitely not the expert on how the HE-500 handles those genres.  Would also agree that the LCD-2 does imaging better.  In general, I did find the LCD-2 a more refined headphone and it should be at $300 more than the HE-500.  As with anything in the ortho world, YMMV.  We've seen a bit variation between headphones even from the same companies.  I got lucky with good products from Audeze and Hifiman.  

LCD-3 + V200?

Quote:
I am liking the LCD-2 over the HE500, it is probably the balance and dynamics plus the realism that the LCD-2 exudes. The soundstage on both headphones are very similar, with perhaps the slight edge going to the HE500. Having said that, the HE500 is just not as clean and clear sounding as the LCD-2. I have never found the V200 to be muddled sounding.  For me one of the highlights is the rock solid placements of images within the soundstage. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,532 of 3,079
Quote:

I can see how it might seem like it was a black or white answer.  However,  read the last sentence of your post.  The devil is in the details.   The point was that Maybe - and I said maybe the V800 fits in the very bad pot.  Where a well done async can be even better.

Adaptive Mode USB Audio. This means the computer controls the audio transfer rate, and the USB device has to follow along updating the Master Clock (MCLK) every one millisecond.

Asynchronous Mode USB Audio. This means the computer is controlled by the USB DAC. No longer is the tail wagging the dog. Instead, an ultra-low-jitter audio master clock located in the DAC controls the audio transfer rate from the computer. Jitter is reduced by a factor of greater than 100 times! 

It's important to look at the track record of early async devices like the original hiFace, as well as the M2Tech EVO. Both devices have jitter measurements that are significantly higher than the 25ps RMS offered by the "lowly" adaptive V800 design. Clearly async is not the magic bullet that some assume it to be. 

I don't want to turn this into a big argument though, because that's already been done to death around here. There are plenty of very intelligent audio designers like Fried Reim (Lake People/Violectric), Michael Goodman (CEntrance), Elias Gwinn (Benchmark), Steve Nugent (Emprical Audio), Dan Lavry (Lavry Engineering), etc., who have been able to extract very high levels of performance over USB using adaptive solutions. I think eventually these folks will switch to async because that's the way of the future, and has more potential. But that doesn't invalidate their prior work.

Quote:
 Anyone using one of these? Got my eye on one for the eventual PC build - just dropped the very same pic in another thread. It appears to be used by a
 lot of custom media/audio server companies who sell their finished server wares in the $2000-ish bracket. Can't be all bad.

SOtm-x USB

I've used a SOtM tX USB card for my last few music server builds. They work very well, and are an important "missing link" that people tend to overlook. I'm upgrading to an Auraliti PK-90 server and they also use the SOtM stuff, because it is really good. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #1,533 of 3,079
Quote:

It's important to look at the track record of early async devices like the original hiFace, as well as the M2Tech EVO. Both devices have jitter measurements that are significantly higher than the 25ps RMS offered by the "lowly" adaptive V800 design. Clearly async is not the magic bullet that some assume it to be. 

I don't want to turn this into a big argument though, because that's already been done to death around here. There are plenty of very intelligent audio designers like Fried Reim (Lake People/Violectric), Michael Goodman (CEntrance), Elias Gwinn (Benchmark), Steve Nugent (Emprical Audio), Dan Lavry (Lavry Engineering), etc., who have been able to extract very high levels of performance over USB using adaptive solutions. I think eventually these folks will switch to async because that's the way of the future, and has more potential. But that doesn't invalidate their prior work.

It's not important to look at the track record of HiFace or M2Tech.  We should all look at the track record of Gordon Rankin.  If I'm not mistaken he is the founder of the async method for computer audio- I could be wrong thou.

I hold all those people in high regard especially Steve.  However, I follow the logic of Gordon Rankin.  Async is the way of the future because 1. it works to specs.  2. It has proper justification in it's logic and 3. it has been proved.

Gordon has proved on many occasions that if two USB devices are implemented properly 1 being adaptive and the other being async.  The async method will have less jitter more times than not - on a consistent bases.

No argument here 
wink_face.gif

Lets end this and just say - the people at Violectric may need to address their USB implementation,

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,534 of 3,079
We are getting closer to saying the same thing.... yet not quite. Since you respect Steve Nugent, here is a statement from him that basically sums up my stance on the matter. 

People get hung up on all sorts of things. Sometimes it is the DAC chip itself. Sometimes it is the power supply. Sometimes it is digital volume control. Sometimes it is the use of opamps versus discrete designs. In my humble opinion, no single one of these factors is a magic bullet that must always be done a certain way, or else. There is always more than one way to skin a cat (to make an analogy that, now that I think about it, is actually pretty gross). 

Same logic applies to the interface. Not too long ago, the popular debate surrounded coaxial vs Toslink vs AES/EBU, with each type having their proponents and detractors. Despite any theoretical advantages/drawbacks, how do we end up knowing which one sounds best in a particular DAC? By listening to it, of course! Each one has the potential to sound quite good. That's my stance regarding USB implementations as well.

As it applies to the V800, I thing the USB implementation is well done. I also think it will eventually be replaced by an async solution, if for no other reason than to offer 24/192 compatibility.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,536 of 3,079
Quote:
So who ever cam up with the analogy  "Theirs more than on way to skin a cat"  How many cats did he skin to find that out?

Peace
Darryl

I would like to hear the originator of this quote elaborate how many different ways there really is lol!

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,537 of 3,079
$15k in cables!!
atsmile.gif

Any chance you could shoot the power cables going into the back of the V200 and V800 - very nice man, no doubt you are enjoying a listen
that few of us will ever get to savour.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,538 of 3,079
I will try and post some pictures later today or tomorrow....................when time allows. Cheers
beerchug.gif

Quote:
$15k in cables!!
atsmile.gif

Any chance you could shoot the power cables going into the back of the V200 and V800 - very nice man, no doubt you are enjoying a listen
that few of us will ever get to savour.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,539 of 3,079
Quote:

Hi,

No, I am not. I use a usb extension cable from my Sony Vaio laptop, to lessen the stress on the usb socket on the laptop. However, I am lucky as my Viao has a combined eSATA/usb2 connector. away from the two usb3 connectors and it is extremely quiet! 

I have tried using the usb3 connectors and it is just so contaminated with processing noise, non-stop clicks, pop and static.

The HiFace two is a wonderful device and I still stand by the fact that it is hugely superior to using stock usb port on the V800. 

I also own the HiFace Two and can vouch for it. It's definitely worth the price and them some compared to other similar priced converters I've tried. The main reason I bought it however is that I'm going to be using it with a Raspberry Pi, that complements its ultra small form factor. The HiFace 2 is Linux plug and play. I have a feeling that the Raspberry Pi will blow away any server costing $1k+ for the sheer purity of it and lack of EMI/RFI and moving parts. I will also be powering it off a battery supply since it only requires a meager 5v 700ma. I think the Hi End Audio world will be in for a suprise when I'm done with it. Especially with my iPhone remote I have for it
k701smile.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,542 of 3,079
Quote:
LCD-3 + V200?

Quote:

Oh Yes!!!

I will get the HD800 first and have been told today it will be 2-3 weeks
wink_face.gif

Then the LCD-3 next
bigsmile_face.gif

Be still my beating heart  . . .
tongue_smile.gif
. . .  my HD800's arrive today . . . when I ordered my V200, the lake people specifically mentioned Audeze LCD cans.  Must be a good match with V200 . . . !!!

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,545 of 3,079
Quote:

Whoa!  good to know . . . Still waiting for the UPS guy . . . I'd love to try the LCD 3 one day, but the weight!!! 
basshead.gif

Might just be me - I never did like the LCD3 with the V200, for the very reason that you have 'warm on warm' - in my opinion
 the LCD's whether 2's or 3's need a bright-ish amp - just look at those who savour it with the Ray Samuels Dark Star.

That thing is like riding the lightning - it is quick, zany and yes a little bright. Other alternatives include the full
 Class A Sugden MasterClass. Not having a dig at my own amp here but unless you matched it with a really
 revealing bright source then to my ears at least - it's all too warbly and rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back