Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #856 of 3,062
I have an USB $100 DAC that comes very close to it's $500 sibling (same manufacturer), so give it a try. :)

I normally use TOS-link from the MacBook (just for the safe side of things - el. isolation). 

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #857 of 3,062
hi there

anybody heard the V200 with Ultrasone Edition 10 ?
how is it ? would be it a good match ?

other option: SPL Auditor

a gain switch looks very interesting. does is work as intended ?
is the XLR preferable on the V200 instead of the RCA ?
are there any SQ differences ?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #858 of 3,062

Quote:
hi there

anybody heard the V200 with Ultrasone Edition 10 ?
how is it ? would be it a good match ?

other option: SPL Auditor

a gain switch looks very interesting. does is work as intended ?
is the XLR preferable on the V200 instead of the RCA ?
are there any SQ differences ?

Yep balanced XLR is best on any of the V100/V181/V200 if you have a balanced out DAC.

Gain switches work a treat, most 30-40ohm headphones use no gain, 50ohm beasts like the LCD2/3
 can use +6dB across the range. Yet to need the +12dB across both channels myself.

Synergy with the V200 and Edition 10 is not bad, but I'm still searching for an amp that fits nicely
 with the Edition 10. The SPL Auditor with the Edition will be a wild ride if it's anything like the Phonitor.

Very piercing treble.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #859 of 3,062
really ? SPL + UE10 is has too much treble together ?
there are a few who suggested this pairing without that conclusion.
so you recommend the V200 more ?
anything else ?

i heard that Luxmann P200 very bad.

SPL no good idea ?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #861 of 3,062

Quote:
anything else ?

SPL no good idea ?

No experience with the Luxman P-200 ~ but I have tried the Edition briefly with the Luxman DA-200
 DAC with head amp. That was not too bad since Luxman head amps in my experience have that
 sweet Japanese signature to them, appears to synergize ok with most head phones I've tried
 if you're not seeking a tonne of slam and/or great rhythm and timing.

I know it's not too helpful ~ but recommending an amp pairing with the Edition 10 at this stage
 is not something I can offer ~ I'm still searching myself and so are many others, it's such a finicky
 sounding headphone.

For the record, worst I have heard is the Woo Audio 6 fed by a Burson DAC with the Edition 10
 ~ totally off balance, utterly strange sounding. A very bad match IMHO. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #862 of 3,062

Quote:

Yep balanced XLR is best on any of the V100/V181/V200 if you have a balanced out DAC.

Gain switches work a treat, most 30-40ohm headphones use no gain, 50ohm beasts like the LCD2/3
 can use +6dB across the range. Yet to need the +12dB across both channels myself.

Synergy with the V200 and Edition 10 is not bad, but I'm still searching for an amp that fits nicely
 with the Edition 10. The SPL Auditor with the Edition will be a wild ride if it's anything like the Phonitor.

Very piercing treble.

When you say "Very piercing treble" what amp are you referring to?

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #863 of 3,062

Quote:
When you say "Very piercing treble" what amp are you referring to?

Sorry a bit vague on my end ~ the chain I was referring to was V800 (off USB) ---> XLR ---> SPL Phonitor ---> Edition 10

Interestingly though, that combo with a later model HD800 is pretty smooth.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #864 of 3,062
Well I just joined the V200 club. Woooo! Pretty stoked since i've been amp/DAC-less for so long. Can't wait til German engineering meets American craftsmanship.

beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #865 of 3,062

Quote:
anything else ?

SPL no good idea ?

Had a chance to give it a rip this morning with the following chain --> Cambridge DacMagic+ --> XLR --> SPL ---> Edition 10

Well I must say that while listening at the Volume '-19' position on the SPL with the
following Crossfeed settings - Crossfeed set to '3' and Speaker angle set to '40Deg'

It's pretty nice using Sting's latest (2011) compilation best of, a bit snappy and bright
with occasional drumsticks sounding a little piercing - but overall it's not the harsh
affair I recall with the V800. Some evidence of sibilance off Sting's vocals with any
lyrics inducing a 'Shhhht' here or there trailing off each note still DacMagic+ is not the warmest
source either so there is room for improvement with a better DAC.

I take it back - it's a workable Edition #10 solution this setup, may compare to the V200 in a week
or so
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #867 of 3,062
when i had the Phonitor, i was crazy about its looks.  such a beautiful amp.
but, i found the sound to be pretty "clinical" to these ears.
i found it a real test of the nerves to listen to brighter headphones through the Phonitor...

strangely, Jude referred to it as "warm and musical" in his head-fi TV episode.
i respectfully disagree with him.

anyways...  the V200 is a different flavored solid state amp from the Phonitor.
the V200 has more guts, more punch.  more body to the sound.
and that, even without the sophisticated crossfeed, is worth the price of admission.
heck - it's half the price of the Phonitor, but a better sounding amp by some meaure, in my humble opinion...

/rant

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #868 of 3,062
yes but Auditor is 99% same sound as Phonitor and Auditor cost 20% less than V200.
i want slam. please somebody try V200 vs Auditor if possible.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #869 of 3,062
Have you seen this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/449063/test-of-pro-headphone-amplifiers-lake-people-wins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back