Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #196 of 3,059
Left and right headphone sockets are only different on V181.
This is because of the quad-amp feature.
One of the sockets outputs the in-phase signal, the other the out-of-phase signal.

On V200 the sockets and the signal on them are totally identical.

By the way:

Why only very few people take the quite famous DAC V800 from Violectric in consideration
confused.gif

In the early ´90ties Lake People had been the first company manufacturing 20 Bit AD and DA converters in Germany.
Since than their converters are quite famous in Europe - nowadays of coarse with 24 bit and up to 192 kHz.
Compare the THD figures from the ADCs (ADC C440 / ADC F444) and DACs (DAC V800) with any other
gear on earth and you will be very astonished !!

Maybe there is the same competence in sound that can be found on Violectric amps !! 

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #197 of 3,059

As far as the attenuators in the back be sure they are both set to the same attenuation whatever that is.  It says this in the owners manual, as well as be sure the unit is turned off when you change attenuation. 

I have considered the V800 dac, my friend raves about it but i don't know if it is an upgrade for me.  I have a modded PSaudio digital link with an ultraclock in it that alone costs almost as much as the v800 along with other additional mods beyond that, my upgrade was possibly the Zodiac Gold, but the V800 does look good to me, if i were to do it over again i would listen to it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #198 of 3,059

Quote:
Left and right headphone sockets are only different on V181.
This is because of the quad-amp feature.
One of the sockets outputs the in-phase signal, the other the out-of-phase signal.

On V200 the sockets and the signal on them are totally identical.

By the way:

Why only very few people take the quite famous DAC V800 from Violectric in consideration
confused.gif

In the early ´90ties Lake People had been the first company manufacturing 20 Bit AD and DA converters in Germany.
Since than their converters are quite famous in Europe - nowadays of coarse with 24 bit and up to 192 kHz.
Compare the THD figures from the ADCs (ADC C440 / ADC F444) and DACs (DAC V800) with any other
gear on earth and you will be very astonished !!

Maybe there is the same competence in sound that can be found on Violectric amps !! 

I did extensive switching between the two sockets and they sound the same.  I had to have my daughter switch for me while I was not looking. 

I'm wondering now it the V200 drive two sets of headphones at once?

Also, I am now activating both gain switches -6 and -12 to get greater extension of the volume control.  Is it ok to use both the -6 and -12 together?  I can now range the volume pot between 12 and 2 o'clock.

Also, what can happen if one accidental switches a gain setting if the amp is on?  Is it instant trouble or just bad practice?

I think if you lend out a V800 to someone who can review it for you here in the forum it might become more popular.  I would have considered it but I did not know about it.  You could take your chances and send one off to TAS for review.  Project86 did a great job with the V181 and the V200.  His review sealed the deal for me when it came to the V200 and although I'm still gathering my thoughts about the V200 having only gotten to it today they seem to coincide with Project 86's review.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #199 of 3,059
I may ask Robert for a V800 loaner at one point or maybe the company could make one available to him to send around for audition, it would sell units for sure.  I am really curious to a/b it, if it were better i'd go for it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #200 of 3,059
Received my LCD-2's on Tuesday. I'm liking them a lot so far, though they are much less "upfront" than Grados. (I would imagine most things are). The DAC-2 should arrive tomorrow, and the V200 should be here sometime next week (it shipped today).

So far my ibasso D10 is driving the LCD-2's to around the same volume as they did my 325is's. My listening level is around 2 o'clock with the LCD-2's and 11-12 o'clock with the Grados. I have found that when I turn up the amp with the LCD-2's, the lower end drops out some, and the higher end drops lower when the volume is below listening level. The detail between instruments is also much much better. I found the 325is's to be distracting when I was trying to listen to a certain part, but with the Audez'e's it is much easier to pick something out.

One bad thing (might be because the only high end headphone I have heard are Grados) is the LCD-2's seemed muffled in the higher register. This could be "soundstage", but I'll let myself get used to it and make some more impressions later on. Hopefully the amp can open some things up and make these headphones shine.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #201 of 3,059
^ I've noticed when changing something so drastic in a rig that it takes awhile to get used to the sound. If at first it just sounds wrong, give it some time and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, congrats!

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #203 of 3,059

Quote:

edit: sorry, forgot this was a V200 thread.. I'll post pictures of that too when it comes in, lol.

Your box has the name on it?  Mine does not.  I'm glad though because I'm going to buy the travel case and make a jewelry box out of the LCD-2 box for my wife.  This is how you get your wife on board 
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #204 of 3,059

Quote:
Your box has the name on it?  Mine does not.  I'm glad though because I'm going to buy the travel case and make a jewelry box out of the LCD-2 box for my wife.  This is how you get your wife on board 
wink_face.gif

Yeah, I was surprised too. I had not seen a box like mine. I was also surprised to see the logo underneath the clear coat. Very nice.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #205 of 3,059
About PRE-GAIN setting on all current Violectric amps:

Although it is stated in the manual to not alter more than one dip-switch at a time it is not dangerous at all to do so.
In case of WarriorAnts experiences his source seems to be quite powerful so that with maximum attenuation
his normal hearing level is around 12 - 2 o´clock.
Switching -6 and -12 dB will result in an attenuation of about -14,5 dB.
This is also true for +6 and +12 dB which will result in a gain of +14.5 dB.
Most other combinations like -6 and + 6dB or -6 and +12 dB will be quite senseless ...

We recommand to unplug the cans or switch of the amp during Pre-Gain changes as thru
these alterings temporarily noise, pops or DC offset may occure which may harm your expensive headphones.

Greetz

Fried

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #207 of 3,059
well i was getting ready to post my impressions of the V200 but then I went from the W4S DAC-2 RCA outs >V200 RCA Ins to the W4S Balanced Outs > V200 Balanced Ins and things seem to sound even better so I have to evaluate it bit more.  I'm using Wyred4Sounsds C1 Ultra Analog XLR cable.  I thought I might as well try the cable Wyred4Sound says they designed for their own DAC. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #209 of 3,059
I know that you mentioned earlier that you might not be the best information resource because this is your first headphones rig, but I'm still very interested in your impressions. I'm leaning towards the Apex P/V but the V200 is still in the running, and the latter is less than half the price of the P/V.

Quote:
well i was getting ready to post my impressions of the V200 but then I went from the W4S DAC-2 RCA outs >V200 RCA Ins to the W4S Balanced Outs > V200 Balanced Ins and things seem to sound even better so I have to evaluate it bit more.  I'm using Wyred4Sounsds C1 Ultra Analog XLR cable.  I thought I might as well try the cable Wyred4Sound says they designed for their own DAC. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #210 of 3,059
Balanced vs unbalanced is a hard thing to judge, especially when there isn't a source selection switch allowing you to quickly go back and forth to compare. I think I hear a small improvement with the Audio GD Reference 7/Violectric V200 combo when using balanced.... but I am not positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back