Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2,971 of 3,062
Balanced is not just about the cable ends, it's twice the power of single-ended and some noise rejection which may or may not make any difference. A decent balanced cable for the LCD is around 100 euros. The mini xlr connectors should be fine, they're made to be changed. Eventually the cables on the connector will fail but the connectors on the headphones look like they won't be affected.

May 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,972 of 3,062
What I did is reterminate my cables to 4 pin xlr, and I made a couple 4 pin xlr to trs stereo adapters, from 15-25 cm of stock cable that I left on the original trs plug when I cut it off. I use Neutrik NC4F, NC4M and NP3X.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #2,974 of 3,062
Hi everyone,

has someone compared the RNHP and the V200 ?
the V200 seems a lot more punchy and warmer but i can't define properly the "lot more" ...

thanks !

Never heard the RNHP, but, going by reviews and tech specs, I don't see them in the same league (if one can get the V200 in the $450-650 price range). Except if there is a really synergetic match between some headphone and the RNHP.

The V200 can be too warm for some headphones, make them sound overly laid back, the likes of Audeze LCD series. Especially the more mellow models like the LCD2 and LCD3.
Which, with the LCD2, I actually liked for Jazz, Chamber and EDM music, but it really sucked for Hard Rock and Metal.

Both struggle with low impedance hard to drive headphones, like the MrSpeakers aka Dan Clark Audio, Hifiman HE-6, Susvara etc.

As for how warm is the V200 in general, let's say it's the amp one buys to pair with the HD800 rather than the LCD2, but, it won't be too warm for any headphone that is not too warm per se already.

I had only a few complaints with the V200, no gain switch and sub par performance with hard to drive low impedance headphones. Other than that, the sound and musical enjoyment it delivers is really hi-end level with most headphones. That said, I replaced it with a Schiit Mjolnir Mk1, which, sonically, imo does everything better and bigger. The V200 at it's current MSRP is just not competitive, although it's one of those amps that can easily be an endgame depending on the headphone match (till one gets to hear something better that is 🤣, yeah that's right, there is no endgame in this hobby, unless one is a quitter 😝).

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,975 of 3,062
thank you

just got one used ( on it's way ) for 590 dollars ( shippment included ) ...
hard to know if it's a good value at this price compared to most recent material ...
it will be paired with a DT1990 or AKG 712 and a SMSL SU-8 as a source ...

but it wasn"t planned, i was on the go for a RNHP wich i already knew and liked very much, so ...
still wondering if it's a good shot as it's not my sonic preference ...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,976 of 3,062
thank you

just got one used ( on it's way ) for 590 dollars ( shippment included ) ...
hard to know if it's a good value at this price compared to most recent material ...
it will be paired with a DT1990 or AKG 712 and a SMSL SU-8 as a source ...

but it wasn"t planned, i was on the go for a RNHP wich i already knew and liked very much, so ...
still wondering if it's a good shot as it's not my sonic preference ...

If you're referring to picking up the V200, it's a great amp and that's a pretty solid price. I picked one up a couple months ago, and only decided to sell it because it was too similar to my iHA-6, and I found a good deal on a V280. I also have an RNHP. Overall, the V200 is a little wider and warmer than the RNHP without losing detail, has quite a bit more power (channel specific gain switch toggles on the back of the unit), and impact/speed is a little better than the RNHP. Where the RNHP excels is in its neutrality while maintaining musicality, natural timbre, and a holographic presentation with great spacial recreation.

The SU-8 should be a solid pairing with the ESS DAC providing some sharpness and more clinical input to counter the smooth and slightly warmer presentation of the V200. The V200 should also pair well with the 1990 and may slightly temper some of the treble energy that for some can be pushing tolerance limits.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #2,977 of 3,062
:nose:
thanks ...

qualities of the V200 are not in question ... i made a bet considering it's reputation, don't want to lose it :wink: ...
hope the ESS sabre DAC and the technical habilities of the DT1990 will prevent the warm side to appear "muddy" ...

i only have an Audio GD once on the "warm side", and if it wasn't bad at all, it hasn't kept me interested for long ...
music was nicely played, it was sympathic, but that's all ... with the RNHP the music seems a lot more real ( to me ... totally subjective )...

the only thing that bothers me is that i can't compare V200 and RNHP directly ... it's harder to make choices in those conditions ...

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #2,978 of 3,062
:nose:
thanks ...

qualities of the V200 are not in question ... i made a bet considering it's reputation, don't want to lose it :wink: ...
hope the ESS sabre DAC and the technical habilities of the DT1990 will prevent the warm side to appear "muddy" ...

i only have an Audio GD once on the "warm side", and if it wasn't bad at all, it hasn't kept me interested for long ...
music was nicely played, it was sympathic, but that's all ... with the RNHP the music seems a lot more real ( to me ... totally subjective )...

the only thing that bothers me is that i can't compare V200 and RNHP directly ... it's harder to make choices in those conditions ...

Well, I've had the V200 for many years, I really liked it with top tire AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser. At the time my V200 + V800 stack, with LCD2 and HD800, was my endgame. Actually, I could go back to that setup and live happily forever, it covers all my music flawlessly. I sold it only after I went portable, the Hugo Mk1 and HD650 was my main rig for some time, till I got the Clear and Aeon (thx Tyll :wink:), and with both needing an amp to really shine, I snatched a Mjolnir Mk1 from the classifieds.

I had the pleasure to listen to quite a few AGD amps, and imo, the V200 is less likely to be perceived as muddy than the average AGD amp. I always felt AGD house sound too be on the V shaped side. Definitely perceived it as warmer than the V200 Violectric house sound, with the AGD midrange being a little hollow vs Violectric. Violectric definitely maintains a strong grip on separation and clarity while giving more body to the presentation. AGD gave a more out of head presentation I guess, 'cos of it's specific house sound.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,980 of 3,062
Aaaaaaaaand, here I go again, had to get it again, the older model without the fake stepped pot, and idk if anyone noticed, it also had a beefier transforme (2x 7.5VA vs 2x 5VA, or something like that).

EDIT: seems they changed for the 2x 5VA earlier than I thought. Sounds great :p
dtstp.jpg

Been A/B-ing between V200 and Mjolnir Mk1. Dang, both are really something. Also, I think I can finally put to rest my eternal inner debate about DC vs AC mode on the V200. DC mode definitely makes the V200 compete better vs the Mjolnir.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,981 of 3,062
Just got a deal on demo units at a semi local hi-fi shop. Got v200, 2xt1.1, T5p, he400 , t70, t90 and 6 various grados and alessandros for 1200 usd. One t1 and the T5p goes to friends. The v200 and the t1.1 is an old dream come true. It plays better than I thought it would.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,982 of 3,062
Hi everyone,

has someone compared the RNHP and the V200 ?
the V200 seems a lot more punchy and warmer but i can't define properly the "lot more" ...

thanks !
I did a demo of both on the same day. The v200 is warmer sounding to the point of bassy, just a bit more dynamic, but pulls apart the mids really nice to find details. The RNHP is an excellent all-rounder while the v200 is when you're sure you want some of the color. If you have warmer cans you might want to go for the Rupert Neve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back