Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #76 of 3,079
Those are indeed tough questions to answer, but I´ll try. What strikes me after some days now with the LCD-2 is that (using the high gain on the 160D):

- The soundstage is perceived wider with the Burson. Maybe that is just because it is marginally tuned a bit "colder" in the sound compared to the V200. That is relatively speaking, not absolute. The 160D is now way near "clinical / cold"

- The V200, I perceive to have it´s strength regarding the depth and layer in the music

- If you play music a couple of hours with the V200, and switched to the 160D playing the same music, your reaction would be that "Hm. Did I hear those miner details in the music before?". Then you switch back to check and; yes, the details are all there

- Engaging. Hm. I find that quite dependent on the DAC used. I have used the DAC in the 160D only these days, and there is something with that DAC-section that Burson has managed to do well. Now, that I have done the comparison for myself these days, I would have been happy with the 160D. Very happy. It´s just the simple fact that, having heard the V200 using the 160D´s DAC, the V200 is a bit more muscle. And that is engaging. Others might appreciate the 160D being a tad more "bright" than the V200. E.g. the LehmannAudio BCL is quite "bright" and on some music that is really engaging. I enjoyed the BCL for some weeks, and had it in direct comparison with the 160D. I chose the 160D as I hoped the sound was a bit more enduring than the BCL. I understand why the HD800 is demoed with the BCL. My sound preference in stereo is more in line with Klipsch RF-63 on Electrocompaniet / tube amps. I say that just for reference, so you know where I´m coming from.

It is a bit strange, but the 160D runs pretty hot. It´s chassis is more that two times the size of the Violectric. The V200 stays lukewarm. Why? Haven´t got a clue. What I like with the V200 is the possibilities to adjust the gain dip switches to adjust it to practically any source. Regarding pricing in Europe (Norway), the V200 costs 70% of the 160D (cf. RRP).

So, what if someone told me two sell one of these two? Difficult, to say the least. The V200 is flexible and "offers" you to match it with your own DAC. Using the 160D with another separate standalone DAC feels a bit unnecessary.

Happy hunting, WarriorAnt. The LCD-2 sounds engaging on your uploaded demo track, both on the Burson and the Violectric.

Disclaimer: My ears, my music, etc.

May 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #78 of 3,079
For those having K70x and looking for a capable amp, the V200 r-e-a-l-l-y OPEN these cans. The bass is OK, the stage opens up and details are presented with extreme nuances. I enjoy my K702 more than before after getting the V200. The K702 needs a tad colored DAC in from of the amp, as I find the K702 more "bright and aggressive" than the HD800. The V200 tames some of it. 

May 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #79 of 3,079
Well, having received my tax return, I finally pulled the trigger on the V200 today! Got the version with the DAC in case I would need all-in-one option in the future, but I plan to run it mainly out of my Hiface-> DA100.

Will do comparisons with my current amp, WA6SE. :)

May 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #80 of 3,079

Quote:
Well, having received my tax return, I finally pulled the trigger on the V200 today! Got the version with the DAC in case I would need all-in-one option in the future, but I plan to run it mainly out of my Hiface-> DA100.

Will do comparisons with my current amp, WA6SE. :)

A comparison to the WA6SE would be greatly appreciated.  When do you expect to receive the V200?

May 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #81 of 3,079
Well, I just ordered a few hours ago from aphroditecu29, and have yet to receive the shipping info... it's going to be an international shipment (since I'm across the border in Canada) so I'd assume it'd take at least a week or two. No rush though since I've got my trusty WA6SE here amping both my HD800 and LCD-2 quite well. I've been very happy with my 6SE for the past half year or so, but just wanted to try the V200 to get some SS amp fix (my current SS amp, Gilmore Lite, while an excellent amp is a bit lacking for both the HD800 and LCD-2).

May 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #82 of 3,079
Well, I just ordered a few hours ago from aphroditecu29, and have yet to receive the shipping info... it's going to be an international shipment (since I'm across the border in Canada) so I'd assume it'd take at least a week or two. No rush though since I've got my trusty WA6SE here amping both my HD800 and LCD-2 quite well. I've been very happy with my 6SE amping both of the headphones, but just wanted to try the V200 to get some SS amp fix.

If you're interested in a Toronto mini-meet, let me know. We could compare your V200 and WA6SE along with my WA2, Lyr and Concerto, could be really fun. :smile:

May 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #83 of 3,079

Quote:
If you're interested in a Toronto mini-meet, let me know. We could compare your V200 and WA6SE along with my WA2, Lyr and Concerto, could be really fun.
smile.gif

Macedonia, what is your favorite amp with the LCD's so far?   

May 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #84 of 3,079

In order:
Lyr
WA2
Concerto

But the fullest and most neutral sound is from the Lyr. Orthos really bloom with moar powah. My Pioneer Elite home theater receiver is great with both my LCD-2s and HE-6s.

May 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #85 of 3,079

Quote:

In order:
Lyr
WA2
Concerto

But the fullest and most neutral sound is from the Lyr. Orthos really bloom with moar powah. My Pioneer Elite home theater receiver is great with both my LCD-2s and HE-6s.

Wow, the Lyr!  It will be really interesting to see your comments about the V200.

May 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #86 of 3,079
Wow, the Lyr!  It will be really interesting to see your comments about the V200.

I'd really like to hear the V200. My only reservation is that it has been described as a "darker" amp and thus it's great synergy with the HD800s. IMO, the LCD-2s wouldn't match ideally with a "darker" sounding amp.

Again, it might be fabulous, I haven't heard the pairing, just some thoughts....likely not even $0.02 worth. :smile:

May 20, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #87 of 3,079

Quote:
Quote:

I'd really like to hear the V200. My only reservation is that it has been described as a "darker" amp and thus it's great synergy with the HD800s. IMO, the LCD-2s wouldn't match ideally with a "darker" sounding amp.

Again, it might be fabulous, I haven't heard the pairing, just some thoughts....likely not even $0.02 worth.
smile.gif

Interesting I haven't seen it described as a dark amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back