Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #46 of 3,058
Well, if I had your headphone collection, I might not have the 2s either :)

I'm experiencing the occasional drop-out with the Squeezebox, where the music stops momentarily for a second or two. Actually I'm not sure if it's the Squeezebox or the Anedio, as I think it may have happened occasionally beforehand. It doesn't bother me much as it seems pretty rare.

I wonder if you've had any similar experiences?

Currently listening to the Two Towers soundtrack. Stunning.

I assume you have the Anedio on a relatively vibrationless surface. I bumped once by accident and it cut out just as you said.

May 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #47 of 3,058
After having the V200 in play for almost everyday the last 7 weeks, it was time to benchmark it towards the Burson HA-160D, which I have loved before. A selection of choices: 

May 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #49 of 3,058

Quote:

I'm experiencing the occasional drop-out with the Squeezebox, where the music stops momentarily for a second or two. Actually I'm not sure if it's the Squeezebox or the Anedio, as I think it may have happened occasionally beforehand. It doesn't bother me much as it seems pretty rare.

I wonder if you've had any similar experiences?

Currently listening to the Two Towers soundtrack. Stunning.

My Squeezebox does that sometimes too, no matter what DAC is used. Usually with high res tracks but even with 16/44 once in a while. Seems to be totally random, as the signal strength isn't changing. Some people even have the issue when connected directly via ethernet, or even when playing directly off an SD card or hard drive.

I've read about the problem and people had some possible solutions but it involved a lot more work than I was willing to do at the time. If it happened more often I might look into it though.

May 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #50 of 3,058
Yes, I will. I borrowed a 160D for 1+ week and used inter alia the HD800 on the Burson. The LCD-2 arrived after i returned the 160D. Now, that I have all 4 in the house, the LCD-2 + 160D is the combo I have less milage with since my new Burson arrived yesterday.

Will revert with impressions in a couple of days. The V200 + HD800 / LCD-2 I know very well, so I´m focusing on the Burson with both cans just now.

But what I can say now already, and not including Burson in that statement, is that you can not go wrong with the LCD-2 on the V200. :) I use a Hegel DAC XLR´d to the V200.

Quote:
Are you going to post your thoughts comparing the two amps?  Which one do you prefer with the LCD's?

May 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #51 of 3,058

Quote:
My Squeezebox does that sometimes too, no matter what DAC is used. Usually with high res tracks but even with 16/44 once in a while. Seems to be totally random, as the signal strength isn't changing. Some people even have the issue when connected directly via ethernet, or even when playing directly off an SD card or hard drive.

I've read about the problem and people had some possible solutions but it involved a lot more work than I was willing to do at the time. If it happened more often I might look into it though.

I'm totally ignorant as to what the squeezebox is and does but from the look of things I'm going to have to learn up on it soon.

May 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #52 of 3,058
@ WarriorAnt: Give me a couple of songs you use as demo tracks / passages, and I´ll try to elaborate on the differences the V200 and the 160D convey to the LCD-2s.

May 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #54 of 3,058
Thanks. Downloaded and played once just out of curiosity. Exciting stuff. :) Now its 01:00AM at my place so I´ll take on some listening tomorrow.

May 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #55 of 3,058

Quote:
Does anyone know if aphroditecu29.com is a legit seller of Violectric V200 Amps?   Are they authorized to sell Violectric amps?

http://aphroditecu29.com/

That's where i got mine last summer, Robert's great.  

Thanks for the review.

I own a Zana Deux as well.   Someone stated earlier about owners of other high end amps.  I use the V200 0n low impedance cans and if i want a short listen and not warm the tubes just to turn them off.  Pairs well with the HD800s too.  Not at the Zana's level but warm and sweet anyway, and just a bit over a third the price.

May 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #56 of 3,058

Quote:
I own a Zana Deux as well.   Someone stated earlier about owners of other high end amps.  I use the V200 0n low impedance cans and if i want a short listen and not warm the tubes just to turn them off.  Pairs well with the HD800s too.  Not at the Zana's level but warm and sweet anyway, and just a bit over a third the price.

I'm using it with the HD800 as well and agree that it pairs well, luckily i didnt judge the HD800 too much at the store since it was on a Creek amp not to mention it was loud in that place.

May 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #58 of 3,058

Quote:
Any noticeable differences when feeding v200 with balanced source?

I only notice a difference with certain DACs, and I suspect it is because of the DAC rather than the V200. Like the Audio GD Reference 7 seems slighly better using balanced mode, but other DACs sound the same either way. It's still very convenient to have those XLR inputs though.

May 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #60 of 3,058
I have heard others that it worked for but when i bought cords i noticed way worse SQ.  I couldn't believe it because i had heard it was better.  I could have described the problem at the time but can't remember now, it was almost a year ago.  I returned the cords after extensive testing.  I know another headfier who runs balanced in and rca out as well and he swears by it.  Maybe dac issue or cord issue, although i got high end XLR's to be sure.  So back on rca's in bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back