Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,731 of 3,062
It's a clone. Not a real Violectric. If you take your time and regularly look through the classifieds, you can get the real thing for not that much more.

On a personal note, having looked through the company's offerings, I can't believe the prices. The DAC is ~$740 (!). From an unknown Chinese clone manufacturer. If anything, the company has balls. I'd rather opt for brains.

smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, absolutely not ordering at this point.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,733 of 3,062
  derbigpr
Good thoughts.
Afterall my only comparison will be with nad d1050 built in amp. Violectric should destroy it in any matter.

Haha what a coincidence, I actually had the D1050 for a while, and with T1's, I didn't feel much difference in amping when going to Musical Fidelity M1HPAP or Schiit Asgard 2, and in addition, I didn't find the Lehmann BCL or V200 to be much better than the M1HPAP with T1's or HD650's when I compared them, just subtle differences, nothing major, they are in the similar price range anyway. In any case, don't expect the V200 to destroy the D1050 output, it will be a small differences at best because that actually has quite a powerful amp with a really clean and transparent sound, especially for the price, while the V200 is going to be slightly warmer and slightly more bass heavy. My biggest fault with D1050's amp was slightly lean bass with the T1's because of high impedance (over 1300 ohms in the low frequencies), but with easier to drive headphones like HD650's or K701's differences were even smaller between them.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,734 of 3,062
In any case, don't expect the V200 to destroy the D1050 output, it will be a small differences at best because that actually has quite a powerful amp with a really clean and transparent sound, especially for the price, while the V200 is going to be slightly warmer and slightly more bass heavy. My biggest fault with D1050's amp was slightly lean bass with the T1's because of high impedance (over 1300 ohms in the low frequencies), but with easier to drive headphones like HD650's or K701's differences were even smaller between them.

Powerful, but not enough for planars. Nad can't even drive my HE500's to desirable volume level. If i read trough Head fi at first, i should bought hd650 or ath r70x instead of he500. But in that case it was different story :rolleyes:

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,735 of 3,062
Powerful, but not enough for planars. Nad can't even drive my HE500's to desirable volume level. If i read trough Head fi at first, i should bought hd650 or ath r70x instead of he500. But in that case it was different story
rolleyes.gif

Oh yea, I didn't know you had planars, in that case the V200 will make a big difference in power.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2,736 of 3,062
It's a clone. Not a real Violectric. If you take your time and regularly look through the classifieds, you can get the real thing for not that much more.

On a personal note, having looked through the company's offerings, I can't believe the prices. The DAC is ~$740 (!). From an unknown Chinese clone manufacturer. If anything, the company has balls. I'd rather opt for brains.

:)

Thanks for this, I am currently looking for a v100/200 on the forums now as the clone looks a shady. Here's to hoping I find a seller soon.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,737 of 3,062
Thanks for this, I am currently looking for a v100/200 on the forums now as the clone looks a shady. Here's to hoping I find a seller soon.

Just wondering, are you aware of the Lake People amps? They're basically the exact same company as Violectric, except the Lake People branded amps are made for the more professional market. They're  virtually the same designs, parts, specs, sound, etc. but without the fancy expensive chassis and all the other cosmetic stuff you get with Vios.  They're almost half the price as well. Check out the Lake People G109 or G105 amps, they're excellent amps, in many German hi-fi reviews they've actually beaten stuff like Lehmann BCL and several other highly regarded amps around here. They all have extremely low output impedance, huge dynamic range, huge power, etc.

http://www.lake-people.de/produktdetails/G109-S.html

I mean, I'd rather get a new LP amp than a used Vio amp, but that's me.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,738 of 3,062
Just wondering, are you aware of the Lake People amps? They're basically the exact same company as Violectric, except the Lake People branded amps are made for the more professional market. They're  virtually the same designs, parts, specs, sound, etc. but without the fancy expensive chassis and all the other cosmetic stuff you get with Vios.  They're almost half the price as well. Check out the Lake People G109 or G105 amps, they're excellent amps, in many German hi-fi reviews they've actually beaten stuff like Lehmann BCL and several other highly regarded amps around here. They all have extremely low output impedance, huge dynamic range, huge power, etc.

http://www.lake-people.de/produktdetails/G109-S.html

I mean, I'd rather get a new LP amp than a used Vio amp, but that's me.

I'm aware of the lake people amps but I have not heard many people recommend them with the hd800's. Why would anyone buy the v100/200 amps if the only difference is cosmetics? Are you positive if I purchase a g109 it will sound identical to the v200 with my hd800's?

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,739 of 3,062
I'm aware of the lake people amps but I have not heard many people recommend them with the hd800's. Why would anyone buy the v100/200 amps if the only difference is cosmetics? Are you positive if I purchase a g109 it will sound identical to the v200 with my hd800's?

Lake People explains the differences on their site, IIRC. They're not just cosmetic.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,740 of 3,062
Lake People explains the differences on their site, IIRC. They're not just cosmetic.

That's what I figured, I wonder what the difference is between the g109 vs gustard h10 vs v200.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #2,742 of 3,062
Heh, how did the Gustard make its way in here? It's a Chinese clone of a V200 that sounds little like it. I've had both side-by-side.

Just was doing a little research and it got brought up by some people. My goal is to purchase an amp for my hd800 that tames the treble slightly a warms up the sound without going to a tube amp. This is when I first came across the v100/200. I then lost an opportunity, because of miscommunication, on a v100 for $500. Now I am trying to find either a v100/200 or something nearly identical for that price range.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,743 of 3,062
Just was doing a little research and it got brought up by some people. My goal is to purchase an amp for my hd800 that tames the treble slightly a warms up the sound without going to a tube amp. This is when I first came across the v100/200. I then lost an opportunity, because of miscommunication, on a v100 for $500. Now I am trying to find either a v100/200 or something nearly identical for that price range.

Then, you want a V200, not a V100.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,744 of 3,062
Then, you want a V200, not a V100.

Thank you for you're quick responses. Hopefully I can come across someone selling one at a reasonable price soon.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,745 of 3,062
Thank you for you're quick responses. Hopefully I can come across someone selling one at a reasonable price soon.

You're in NY? If you're Upstate, you're more than welcome to come over and listen to a variety of amps with your cans, including a V200. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back