Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Mar 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #2,701 of 3,077
Concero has a lower than normal output voltage. At max volume setting it is something like 1.2Vrms, in order to take full advantage of the particular parts used. So it makes sense that you would need to crank V200 volume up higher than usual. It's no problem as long as you aren't running out before it gets loud enough. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,703 of 3,077
That's the output volume I was talking about
wink.gif

I know 
regular_smile .gif
 I was just fleshing out that idea since I have experience with the Concero. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2,704 of 3,077
Just doing a little math on the Violectric sale which is happening now....

G109S comes down to about $522. That's all the amp many people would ever need, and sounds fantastic even with tougher loads like Alpha Dogs.

V281 is now $1955 in standard form (without remote). Still not cheap by any means, but at least it comes in below the $2k barrier which can be a mental block some times.

G103S is $340 - an excellent choice in that price range, where there aren't a ton of powerful amps to choose from. If I was a newbie I'd snag this with a used HE-500 and call it a day.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,705 of 3,077
  Concero has a lower than normal output voltage. At max volume setting it is something like 1.2Vrms, in order to take full advantage of the particular parts used. So it makes sense that you would need to crank V200 volume up higher than usual. It's no problem as long as you aren't running out before it gets loud enough. 

I didn't know DAC affects sound volume as well. I might need a DAC with higher output voltage if I upgrade DAC. 
I feel better now that my gears have no issues.
atsmile.gif
 V200/Concero are my first Amp/DAC though. So exciting.

Thanks a lot Mr.P.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,706 of 3,077

Do you think a lower output voltage affects sound quality?  Is a voltage just about the volume?

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,707 of 3,077

Do you think a lower output voltage affects sound quality?  Is a voltage just about the volume?

Nope, it's not so low where it causes problems. Don't be afraid to turn your volume knob higher if needed. Technically speaking a volume potentiometer opened wide is more transparent than at low volumes. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #2,708 of 3,077
  I didn't know DAC affects sound volume as well. I might need a DAC with higher output voltage if I upgrade DAC. 
I feel better now that my gears have no issues.
atsmile.gif
 V200/Concero are my first Amp/DAC though. So exciting.

Thanks a lot Mr.P.

Adjust the pre-gain setting on your V200 till you are comfortable with the volume range. I think I'm running +6dB pre-gain with the Concero on my V100 and think I'm on 11-12 o'clock on the volume that is comfortable for me. I think I later set it back to 0dB so that I can never put it too loud. I really appreciate the adjustment range, with the Emotiva Mini-X I was always worried that a slip of volume knob would blow up my headphones. With the Violectric and gain set up correctly I know that will never happen.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,710 of 3,077
Hello There.
Most of you know that we have to face some problems concerning our 24/192 USB drivers.
We voted for the “Tenor” Chip-Set for our 24/192 USB solution because we had good
experience with the 24/96 USB solution from this manufacturer.
“Tenor” seems to be a chips fab, they got no own web site and the only contact to purchase
the silicon is (was) through a company called “GFEC”.
Well, everybody who has the experience knows that dealing with Asian companies is not so easy.
You need at least 10 times more emails than with companies coming from Europe or the USA to deal with them.
But finally we got the 24/192 USB chips and also the drivers.

Out of a sudden by the end of 2014 they discontinued the production of the chips and the software support …
We, as well as many others, had been left outside standing in the rain.

The current drivers work with Linux, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, except 8.1 and with all Mac OS except “Yosemite” .

I am glad to report that there is now a working solution for Mac OS-X “Yosemite” that can be downloaded from the VIOLECTRIC web site.

I am sorry to tell that there is still no solution in sight for Windows 8.1

Best regards,

Fried Reim
CEO of Lake People

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #2,711 of 3,077

Nope, it's not so low where it causes problems. Don't be afraid to turn your volume knob higher if needed. Technically speaking a volume potentiometer opened wide is more transparent than at low volumes. 

But adjusting that sweet, sweet pot is one of the joys of the V200
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,713 of 3,077
FWIW, I prefer to have the knob between 11 o'clock and 3 (ie 15) o'clock. Better performance from the pot and more leverage for adjusting the volume.

How do you figure "best performance"? Theoretically speaking, shouldn't a wide open pot be the closest thing possible to no pot at all?

I love the V200 pot and I honestly don't think it colors the sound or does any harm, just speaking theoretically here.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2,714 of 3,077
How do you figure "best performance"? Theoretically speaking, shouldn't a wide open pot be the closest thing possible to no pot at all?

I love the V200 pot and I honestly don't think it colors the sound or does any harm, just speaking theoretically here.

Experience. IME, high-performance manufacturers, like Audio Research, as an example, suggested 12-1 o'clock. The pot can add a degree of resistance, depending on design. Too, the sweepers inside the pot tend to be at their most linear state at ~12 o'clock. I don't mean to suggest that it makes a night and day difference with the Vio, but as the option is available, why not?

Edit: This has traditionally been an issue with passive preamps. The output impedance can change with the position of the pot, again, depending on its design.

Edit2: This may be of interest:

http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,715 of 3,077
@ Shaffer,

an excerpt from the V200 manual might answer your questions

The V200 is specially designed to drive headphones. Headphones however can present load impedances from 8 to 2000 ohms and efficiency ratios from 85 to 115dB per milliwatt.
Thus it can be quite tricky to fulfil all demands, since...
… owners of high-effectivity headphones will rarely set the volume control higher than 9 o'clock in order to exclude hearing damage, while
... the maximum setting may still be too soft for low-efficiency headphones, but
… all users expect highest quality at lowest noise and distortion.
Thus, the circuitry must adapt itself as the headphone won't !

WE CALL THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM PRE-GAIN

The alignment between amplifier and headphone is provided by the preamp stage, which can boost or attenuate the input signal in four steps of 6 dB each.
For this purpose, two switching devices are located on the rear panel for left and right channel individually.

If you find your HPA V200's volume could be somewhat softer (in order to improve volume control range e.g.),
push the switch labelled "-6dB" (half gain) or "-12dB" (quarter gain) in upward direction.
If you find your HPA V200 should provide more gain,
do so with the switch labelled "+6 dB" (double gain) or "+12 dB" (quadruple gain).

Ex-factory, all switches are set to their lowest position - i.e. 0 dB or unity gain - which should be sufficient for most applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back