Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jul 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,281 of 3,062
Quote:
FINALLY, got V200 & V800 ^_^
can't wait to see the sound on HD800! and it sounds great~ more when I actually listen to it more.

any recommendations for pre-gain? Is it normal for volume knob to be at 12-1 for normal listening?

Play with it and see. Some people leave it at 0, others like it -6 or even -12. It's easy to change (make sure you power off first!) and mess with. 12 or 1 is pretty normal, some people feel the V200 sounds better with the pot more wide open - hence lower pre-gain. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,282 of 3,062
Jut wanted to share with you guys that I found the V200 to be an awesome pre-amp!
I recently purchased a ZD, and my V200 was left untouched when the ZD arrived. And I was curious if using the V200 as pre, so I opened it, changed the jumper setting (see the manual p.26) of the unbalanced as outputs. And tell you what? Rightaway I noticed a big improvement in sound quality! 
I'm not good at describing sound but after trying the V200 as pre, the bass was smoother and well extended, I also felt that the impact has a well mix of solid state amp, which is fast, tight and transparent. The overall result was very impressive! I've never heard the Zana sounded this good since it arrived.

If you own better amp than V200 in your chain, try it as a pre, and see the differences.
size]

Btw, I did set the Lift GND, and also DC-coupled jumper settings on the V200 before.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #2,283 of 3,062
That's good to hear! Once I get my Taboo MKIII I'll probably try it out with the V200 as pre-amp at some stage. Especially when driving speakers.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,284 of 3,062
Jut wanted to share with you guys that I found the V200 to be an awesome pre-amp!

I recently purchased a ZD, and my V200 was left untouched when the ZD arrived. And I was curious if using the V200 as pre, so I opened it, changed the jumper setting (see the manual p.26) of the unbalanced as outputs. And tell you what? Rightaway I noticed a big improvement in sound quality! 

I'm not good at describing sound but after trying the V200 as pre, the bass was smoother and well extended, I also felt that the impact has a well mix of solid state amp, which is fast, tight and transparent. The overall result was very impressive! I've never heard the Zana sounded this good since it arrived.

If you own better amp than V200 in your chain, try it as a pre, and see the differences.
size]

Btw, I did set the Lift GND, and also DC-coupled jumper settings on the V200 before.

Great to hear.. I might use the V200 as a pre-amp to feed the Crack.. it doesn't need a pre, but this will be a fun thing to try.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,285 of 3,062
Quote:

Play with it and see. Some people leave it at 0, others like it -6 or even -12. It's easy to change (make sure you power off first!) and mess with. 12 or 1 is pretty normal, some people feel the V200 sounds better with the pot more wide open - hence lower pre-gain. 

And use the same setting L and R
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2,286 of 3,062
Hi,

A Yulong A18 vs Violectric V200 dilemma here!

I have read several threads but still could not decide which would be better for HD800's.

I am about to purchase HD800 and need a solid state amp solution in 1000€ region.
I already have Yulong D100 and i liked (a loaned pair, probably some early model of 2010) HD800's out of its hp out, with the exeption of midrange, which felt  dry and lifeless,
I was not offended by highs of HD 800 at all, although i prefered to eq highs down by a few dB.
D100 would be used as DAC for some time on due to budget constraints. 

I am looking forward to get improvement from D100 hpa in terms of:

-midrange fullness and lifelikeness (euphony?) to the point that vocals and woodwind instruments would sound more real
-bass impact (i felt the control was good already, improvement would be beneficial still)
-maybe a hint of overall warmth

I do not want to lose any tightness and technical proficiency of D100 hpa.

Music preferences: Classical, rock like stuff (Radiohead, Tool, Puscifer etc), fast paced electronica (dubstep, edm),  vocal stuff.

From what i have read V200 is a bit held back in terms of soundstaging. How would V200 compare to D100 hpa in this?

Between A18 and V200:
Which one would have edge in terms of detail across freq range?
Which has better control over bass?
Which is more transparent?
Soundstage depth?

I am aware there are not many who have listened to both amps, so project86 i am counting on you! :D Did i read right, that by the time You auditioned D18 You have departed from HD800-s ?

Any input towards Yulong A18 vs V200  from people who has experience with both would be much appreciated.

Priidik

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,287 of 3,062
It's a tough choice. V200 is more spacious than the D100 amp section, but A18 is massive in presentation. I'd say V200 is slightly more detailed overall but the two are quite close. A18 is maybe the more colored presentation, warmer and more fun, but not by a massive amount.

So the question is this: do you want a larger soundstage with a bit less accuracy and some more fun? Or do you want a more detailed but still very musical presentation that's not quite as large? 

I did give up HD800s for a while but now they are back! I use them with both amps and like both quite a bit. Sorry, that doesn't help.... two good choices. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,288 of 3,062
Thanks, project86.
I am closer to deciding in favor of V200. Mostly because im inside EU.

Which (A18 or V200) would benefit more from DAC upgrade? To somewhere Anedio D2 level?

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,289 of 3,062
Quote:
Thanks, project86.
I am closer to deciding in favor of V200. Mostly because im inside EU.

Which (A18 or V200) would benefit more from DAC upgrade? To somewhere Anedio D2 level?

Both respond well to source improvements, with the V200 getting a bit more benefit due to the extra detail. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,290 of 3,062
I know this is a V200 thread and I personally have V200 but I'm hearing that the new Senn. HDVD800 amp/dac has the best synergy with HD800.
If I had only the HD800, I would definitely consider the HDVD800.  I mean the amp was designed by Senn. to drive their HD800.

Quote:
Hi,

A Yulong A18 vs Violectric V200 dilemma here!

I have read several threads but still could not decide which would be better for HD800's.

I am about to purchase HD800 and need a solid state amp solution in 1000€ region.
I already have Yulong D100 and i liked (a loaned pair, probably some early model of 2010) HD800's out of its hp out, with the exeption of midrange, which felt  dry and lifeless,
I was not offended by highs of HD 800 at all, although i prefered to eq highs down by a few dB.
D100 would be used as DAC for some time on due to budget constraints. 

I am looking forward to get improvement from D100 hpa in terms of:

-midrange fullness and lifelikeness (euphony?) to the point that vocals and woodwind instruments would sound more real
-bass impact (i felt the control was good already, improvement would be beneficial still)
-maybe a hint of overall warmth

I do not want to lose any tightness and technical proficiency of D100 hpa.

Music preferences: Classical, rock like stuff (Radiohead, Tool, Puscifer etc), fast paced electronica (dubstep, edm),  vocal stuff.

From what i have read V200 is a bit held back in terms of soundstaging. How would V200 compare to D100 hpa in this?

Between A18 and V200:
Which one would have edge in terms of detail across freq range?
Which has better control over bass?
Which is more transparent?
Soundstage depth?

I am aware there are not many who have listened to both amps, so project86 i am counting on you! :D Did i read right, that by the time You auditioned D18 You have departed from HD800-s ?

Any input towards Yulong A18 vs V200  from people who has experience with both would be much appreciated.

Priidik

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,291 of 3,062
Haven't heard it but i believe it costs over 50% more that the v200 at least around here.  When you start jumping up in price you get a lot more, that price is getting you half way to a Zana Deux for instance.
cool.gif
 (see sig)

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,293 of 3,062
I know this is a V200 thread and I personally have V200 but I'm hearing that the new Senn. HDVD800 amp/dac has the best synergy with HD800.
If I had only the HD800, I would definitely consider the HDVD800.  I mean the amp was designed by Senn. to drive their HD800.
That doesn't necessarily make it the best amp for Sennheiser. Look at that awful CMoy amp that was made for Grado by Grado. And isn't it the general consensus amongst T1 owners that tube amps are vastly superior to Beyerdynamic's own A1?

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,294 of 3,062
That doesn't necessarily make it the best amp for Sennheiser. Look at that awful CMoy amp that was made for Grado by Grado. And isn't it the general consensus amongst T1 owners that tube amps are vastly superior to Beyerdynamic's own A1?

True... That Grado thing was atrocious. I actually thought that beyer amp sounded pretty decent - for a $200 amp maybe. At almost $1k? No way.

I've heard very mixed things about the new Sennheiser amps. Some love them, including my pal frank l who was a former V200 lover. But then others report the Sennheiser amps as being just so-so and nowhere near the V200. So I dont really know what to think.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,295 of 3,062
Jude loves them too. But I have never heard them nor do I still have the HD800.  I got tired of trying different amps with them.  I may try them again someday now that I have the V200.

Quote:
True... That Grado thing was atrocious. I actually thought that beyer amp sounded pretty decent - for a $200 amp maybe. At almost $1k? No way.

I've heard very mixed things about the new Sennheiser amps. Some love them, including my pal frank l who was a former V200 lover. But then others report the Sennheiser amps as being just so-so and nowhere near the V200. So I dont really know what to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back