Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,252 of 3,061
I've been fiddling with & comparing the gain/jumpers on the Vio stack for the last few days.. trying to find the best combo between the HD800, FA-002w HE.. and my ears.  My issues with the V800/V200's stock gain settings (15dB & 0dB, respectively) have been detailed in previous posts.. I'm going to keep it short for now.  It mostly revolved around harshness, aggressiveness, and glare in the upper mids-through-treble, unevenness in the bass, and an unnaturally forward midrange.

Cutting to the chase.. I settled on all ground/lift settings set to 'gnd' (on both devices).. V800 at 6dB (internal gain).. and V200 @ 0dB, with the pot in DC mode.  Eventually, I'll piece together the more coherent parts of a PM I wrote (to another member) in regards to what I'm hearing.. but I'll leave it at this for now:

The HD800 (and FA-002w HE) sounds absolutely breathtaking out of the Violectric V800/V200 stack: undeniably smooth, lively, dynamic, precisely controlled, supremely neutral, tonally pure, astonishingly fast, and possessing an aquatic-like fluidity.

I don't know if what I'm hearing is purely attributable to the gain/jumper setting changes I've settled on, though.  The fellow I bought my V200 from mentioned the unit was practically brand new.. with only 25-50 hours of (controlled) usage on them.  I must've logged at least another 100-150 hours since getting it... so it could be a case of this amp and/or DAC "opening up" (I experienced that with the G109).  Whatever the case, it sounds much cleaner & linear now.  Not in the mood to wax (more) poetics.. but I can tell you what I'm hearing now is everything I'd have hoped for.. and more.  The Vio stack will be my desktop's solid state 'end game' rig.  I'm 110% satisfied with the sound & have no inclination to search for 'something better' (as far as solid state gear goes).

May 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,253 of 3,061
guess it paid off messing with the settings

at least to experience the fact that the performance changes

i didn't try the v800 xlr out at 6dB, only the rca, i'll make sure to try your stated settings when i get back to base (traveling around with my mdr-1r and se530, love both)

the hd800 are really natural out of the, at default settings, v800 rca to v200 combo too, brightness or harshness nowhere to be heard

i will not unbalance myself and say that one setting sounds better than the other but one thing is sure

the combo can be setup to mach any headphone gorgeously

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,254 of 3,061

Which is the correct position for GND?

I see on the PCB and on the diagram of the instructions they are inverted....

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,256 of 3,061
Quote:
Doesn't look inverted to me.... based on the orientation as seen in your picture, covering the right two pins would result in lifted ground. 

On the photograph the GND is on the right while on the diagram it shows it on the left.

I suppose the ones printed on the PCB must be correct

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,258 of 3,061
For those who are using the Violectric stack with low impedance phones like the TH900, I set the gain of V200 as -12db and resulted a better sounding experience. Could it be the placeboo effect? But as some folks said that the V200 has the sweetest spot at 12 to 3 o'clock, so adjust your gain properly.

I haven't changed the lift gnd jumper yet, just playing around with gain.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,261 of 3,061
Some folks have and report the built-in USB as being pretty good if not knock-your-socks-off amazing. Which is not really something you'd expect for the price. I haven't tried it myself but I know people who have sold their solid, entry level stand-alone DACs from HRT and Musical Fidelity, because the built-in DAC was just as good or better.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,262 of 3,061
project86, do you know if anyone has reported about the optional optical or coaxial add-on DACs for the V200?  I have the v200/v800 Violectric stack myself, but am potentially in the market for a dac/headamp combo for my LR, and was leaning towards the Anedio D2 or Bel Canto 1.5, but if the V200 + Coax/optical DAC is considered excellent, I'd have another choice.  thx

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,263 of 3,061
Quote:
Some folks have and report the built-in USB as being pretty good if not knock-your-socks-off amazing. Which is not really something you'd expect for the price. I haven't tried it myself but I know people who have sold their solid, entry level stand-alone DACs from HRT and Musical Fidelity, because the built-in DAC was just as good or better.

How much is it for the built in DAC?

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,264 of 3,061

Just bought the V800 :D

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,265 of 3,061
Quote:
project86, do you know if anyone has reported about the optional optical or coaxial add-on DACs for the V200?  I have the v200/v800 Violectric stack myself, but am potentially in the market for a dac/headamp combo for my LR, and was leaning towards the Anedio D2 or Bel Canto 1.5, but if the V200 + Coax/optical DAC is considered excellent, I'd have another choice.  thx

That's what I was just commenting on, in the post right above yours. I don't think the V200 with built in DAC card would be on the same level as those others you mentioned, but it will be cheaper and smaller and still sound pretty nice I expect.

Quote:
How much is it for the built in DAC?

Web site shows ~126 Euro which is currently around $165 USD. 

Quote:
Just bought the V800
biggrin.gif

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back