Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Nov 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #301 of 625

Quote:
I've got to say Br777, if a $1000 pair of customs needs serious eq'ing to avoid sounding congested, then there's a serious problem with those customs.

Have you contacted UM?

Same with Spekkio: You might have a quality control issue. Try talking to UM.

UM's quality control has slipped a bit, it looks like. For a Chinese-based custom company, you really want to avoid having to ship things back and forth overseas. I hope they get a serious handle on their QC soon. They used to be quite good.

I agree - assuming there isn't some other variable going on with Br777's setup, or Spekkio's, it does sound like there may very well be a QC issue. I hope not, though, as I'm awaiting delivery of a pair of Miracles, too. Personally, I'd much rather wait until end of January if that would make a difference in quality/performance of finished product

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #302 of 625

Quote:

2) I am intrigued by your above remarks - this is pure speculation on my part, but is it possible that one of the mid or bass drivers is wired out-of-phase..? I don't know where the bass/mids are crossed-over - is it, perhaps, at the 125hz point you refer to in your EQ graph? Could it be possible that your experience of a 'cleaning-up' of the sound when dipping 125hz may relate not to an excess of 125hz muddying the sound but to a bunch of phase-incoherence muddying the sound, which negative EQ-ing may be minimising the obviousness of? If the bass driver is representing the music in one phase, and the mid is overlapping in the opposite phase, then dipping this phase inconsistency might be one plausible reason for the sound (subjectively) improving, mightn't it?

...I'm also wondering if this might explain Spekkio's strange auditory experience when listening to cymbals (though he may, perhaps, be right about the 5khz peak being to blame) - in any case, an out-of-phase treble BA-driver would absolutely be expected to make a 'mish-mash' of the sound, since there is such a huge abundance of subtle, but complex, phase information in a cymbal sound. One wouldn't necessarily expect phase anomalies to be overtly visible on a straight pink noise plot, so that could potentially account for the apparent dissonance between the 'normal' frequency chart and the subjectively-perceived anomalies.

In Speekio's review, he says: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582754/review-by-spekkio-unique-melody-miracle

"For the bass around 120Hz or so – the midbass or drum beats portion, this was where it became more problematic. The bass, although retaining that ‘BA’ sound to it, which is the ‘clippy’ etymotic low decay bass sound, is more round in texture and not as well defined. The notes hit but one cannot point to the exact instant where the note hit. It is more of an approximate guess."

(Bold emphasis added by me)

Again, this sounds to me very much like a potential phase issue, either at crossover point between bass and mid drivers or between identical pairs of bass drivers or identical pairs of mid drivers, or a combination of these woes (i.e. just one mid driver out of the six drivers in one ear being accidentally wired out of phase etc.)

Obviously, I don't know where UM are crossing-over their drivers, so I may be wrong about the 120hz but I consider it no coincidence that Br777 is also talking about 125hz being an issue. With 6 drivers per IEM, I consider it quite possible that a rushed team of engineers, with excessive workload and insufficient sleep, might possibly have made a 1-in-6 wiring error, on the occasional IEM. Similarly, they may have taken on new/temporary staff for soldering duties, perhaps?

I'm nervously awaiting mine, in about a months time.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #303 of 625

Quote:
Can Stereo provide updates if you request for them?

They did told me that the lead time was around 7 weeks when I placed my order then, so I'll only start chasing then after 6 weeks. I need to be fair to them as well.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #304 of 625

Quote:
...I'm also wondering if this might explain Spekkio's strange auditory experience when listening to cymbals (though he may, perhaps, be right about the 5khz peak being to blame) - in any case, an out-of-phase treble BA-driver would absolutely be expected to make a 'mish-mash' of the sound, since there is such a huge abundance of subtle, but complex, phase information in a cymbal sound. One wouldn't necessarily expect phase anomalies to be overtly visible on a straight pink noise plot, so that could potentially account for the apparent dissonance between the 'normal' frequency chart and the subjectively-perceived anomalies.

In Speekio's review, he says: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582754/review-by-spekkio-unique-melody-miracle

"For the bass around 120Hz or so – the midbass or drum beats portion, this was where it became more problematic. The bass, although retaining that ‘BA’ sound to it, which is the ‘clippy’ etymotic low decay bass sound, is more round in texture and not as well defined. The notes hit but one cannot point to the exact instant where the note hit. It is more of an approximate guess."

(Bold emphasis added by me)

Again, this sounds to me very much like a potential phase issue, either at crossover point between bass and mid drivers or between identical pairs of bass drivers or identical pairs of mid drivers, or a combination of these woes (i.e. just one mid driver out of the six drivers in one ear being accidentally wired out of phase etc.)

Obviously, I don't know where UM are crossing-over their drivers, so I may be wrong about the 120hz but I consider it no coincidence that Br777 is also talking about 125hz being an issue. With 6 drivers per IEM, I consider it quite possible that a rushed team of engineers, with excessive workload and insufficient sleep, might possibly have made a 1-in-6 wiring error, on the occasional IEM. Similarly, they may have taken on new/temporary staff for soldering duties, perhaps?

I'm nervously awaiting mine, in about a months time.

With a company that requires shipping to and from China, they had better darn well be sure that what they ship out is what they want people to hear. Whether a flaw in the sound (and it's great to see some non-hyped reviews) or a serious quality control issue, this isn't good for UM.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #305 of 625
Reading these issues with the sound quality is even more depressing than the delays in getting them. Almost wish I had gone for the ES5's. Has UM commented on these sound quality issues yet?

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #306 of 625

Quote:
With a company that requires shipping to and from China, they had better darn well be sure that what they ship out is what they want people to hear. Whether a flaw in the sound (and it's great to see some non-hyped reviews) or a serious quality control issue, this isn't good for UM.

Fair comment; I agree.

I'm only speculating at this stage, and I'm not sure whether to hope that my speculation is right or wrong, at this stage, to tell you the truth.

If the flaws are just the way the Miracle is, as a design, period, then obviously, this would be uncomfortable for me, since I've just purchased some, but (openly) putting that aside for a moment, what is perplexing is that 2 people who have both heard, and enjoyed, the universal demo are finding such a difference between the demo and their received customs. That strikes me as genuinely anomalous.

Hopefully, some answers will be forthcoming over the coming days...

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #307 of 625

Quote:
Reading these issues with the sound quality is even more depressing than the delays in getting them. Almost wish I had gone for the ES5's. Has UM commented on these sound quality issues yet?

As far as ive read the other negative reviews , people just seem to agree that the UM Miracles just dont live up to their hype. I guess that the most people, that reviewed their customs, didnt have a LCD2 or equal high end fullsized cans to ABX test etc.

Anyways i have the same feelings as iam waiting 7 weeks now on my set of Miracles plus all the negative feedback is seriously putting me off

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #308 of 625
I'm not too worried. I listened to the demo to great lengths and I know what I heard.

I have seen Spekkio's frequency graph and the graph found on page 1 of this review. They seem to be different, anyone care to enlighten a newbie here, on why they are different? 

And as Mython said, I'm more worried about the differences between the custom and the universal demo. It would be really weird, not to mention incredibly stupid to have the sounds sound too different from each other.

I dont know if the Miracle needs any burning in time, but I like to do that to all my headphones so that shouldn't be a problem.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #309 of 625
Having just re-read |jokers| review of his miracles, he doesn't desribe anything sounding like what these 2 latest impressions/reviews describe; which would lead me to believe there is an issue with their customs that UM needs to investigate. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #310 of 625
Like I said, don't be too worried about your incoming customs. I've read |joker|'s reviews and I usually agree with most of what he says about universal IEMs. It may be just me being a little strict on the earphone. Save the worrying until after you get the customs, and don't worry even if you don't like it after you get it; you can always tell UM and they will do right by you.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #311 of 625

Quote:

Honestly, these things seems to depend on luck.
 When I had my ES5, I RMA-ed mine twice in a year.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #313 of 625
Goodness folks, step away from the ledge.

I'm not discounting the impressions of the users who are hearing "poorer than expected" sound quality from their Miracles, I appreciate their willingness to speak up and thoroughly detail their impressions.. but they're also just that, impressions.. a few of them in a sea of people who've: heard them and have said they're worthy of the price tag, or those who have ordered them and haven't received them (many with great ears that have listened to other very high end phones).

To instantly assume YOUR Miracles are going to suffer from problems is putting the cart before the horse a bit, no?  I get the sense a large number of users (and Joker in particular, whose opinion is very widely respected here by even the very seasoned listeners) are quite happy and impressed with them.. confidently stating they are top tier customs.

I don't about some of you, but I'm going to hold off on the second-guessing & hand-wringing until mine actually arrive and are heard with my own ears.. which I trust more than anything.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #314 of 625

Quote:

I'm not discounting the impressions of the users who are hearing "poorer than expected" sound quality from their Miracles, I appreciate their willingness to speak up and thoroughly detail their impressions.. but they're also just that, impressions.. a few of them in a sea of people who've: heard them and have said they're worthy of the price tag, or those who have ordered them and haven't received them (many with great ears that have listened to other very high end phones).

To instantly assume YOUR Miracles are going to suffer from problems is putting the cart before the horse a bit, no?  I get the sense a large number of users (and Joker in particular, whose opinion is very widely respected here by even the very seasoned listeners) are quite happy and impressed with them.. confidently stating they are top tier customs.

I don't about some of you, but I'm going to hold off on the second-guessing & hand-wringing until mine actually arrive and are heard with my own ears.. which I trust more than anything.

Well said and I hold the same regard for mine when it arrives.  

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #315 of 625

Quote:

i totally agree, thats why i'm trying not to say much yet.   No matter how many people comment on headphones, you never know what they are really like because everyone has differing, and often VERY differing opinions on what sounds neutral, or better, or correct, or whatever. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back