Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Nov 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #286 of 625
well i have to say at this point in my miracle journey i'm kind of stunned.    My pico slim came today, which allowed me to go from simple headphone out of either ipod or clip+ to my full blown rig which you can read in my signature or profile.

between the obvious added quality of having a dac in the picture, and the greatness that is the pico slim, and really, most importantly the eq settings which i want to say are getting there, the miracles sound absolutely wonderful. 

I will say that even straight out of the ipod/clip+ they still sound great.  I should also note that i dont know if others are experienceing the same bass hump as I am. there are so many factors in customs that i cant say for sure if all miracles sound the same...  strangely i dont hear the humb during frequency rolls so i wonder what it really is, but either way, if you only do the 125 / -6 decibal cut with a similar width, you should notice a major difference in that an overall muddy charecter leaves the sound profile, thus opening up the rest of the sound signature to more clarity (not just the bass)

I am not skilled at eq-ing and this is really Lunatiques work transplanted to the miracles.  Could someone else do better?.. i hope so, and i hope they share! but its certainly a great start IMHO.

at this point i feel like i coudl write a book, and still may regarding the sound of the miracles,  the miracle vs lcd-2, and much more misc. rambling...eventually i hope..

and by the way .. amazingly.. the pico slim drives the LCD-2's like a beast!!!   once my stacker II comes things are really gonna get interesting, but I will say at this point that Though the miracles and LCD-2 clearly sound different, I cant pick a clear winner.  they are both awesome!

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #288 of 625
Two threads, fIrst lunatiques neutrality thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/564465/misconception-of-neutral-accurate

Second a thread i started when i thought i knew how to eq.
May be useful to show the progression from ignorance to...less ignorance
The sertings he suggests in this thread are what i used as a starting point for my progressing miracle sertings.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570890/lcd-2-equalization-stalking-the-wild-neutrality

Thanks Br777, I am going to look at these :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #289 of 625
If the 6dB bump at 125Hz is how the Miracle is, then I don't think it's for me unfortunately.
The SM3 has a bump around 300Hz and a dip at about 3kHz that makes it sound dark and veiled if not eq'ed. Spending about 1000$ on a top of the line costum should make an iem with a fairly even frequency response in my opinion (unless of course it's a bass heavy version or something).

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #290 of 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

any quick thought??

no not really.. all i have is the pico slim right now so i cant really go back and forth with any authority.
i'm not very good at this kind of thing to begin with so i want to be careful not to say anything until i'm as clear as i can be.

i havent actually done any real focused comparing yet either... not much time.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #291 of 625

Quote:
If the 6dB bump at 125Hz is how the Miracle is, then I don't think it's for me unfortunately.
The SM3 has a bump around 300Hz and a dip at about 3kHz that makes it sound dark and veiled if not eq'ed. Spending about 1000$ on a top of the line costum should make an iem with a fairly even frequency response in my opinion (unless of course it's a bass heavy version or something).

its really hard to say whats at work here.  according to both their frequency chart, and my lisening with sine-gen and a rolling frequency file, there clearly is not a hump.

so.. whats at play.. is it unique to my pair?  I dont know.  It could be so many things.

I look at it this way.. There has NEVER been a pair of headphones i tried that didnt require an eq.  NEVER.  I think the LCD-2's sound fantastic, but I use eq to make them sound their best.   Its just a fact of life. 
what it comes down to for me is how capable are the headphones? - some headphones wont sound any good no matter how much you mod or tweak or eq them.  some, like the lcd-2 and so far like the miracles, are capable of really great sound when eq'd, and thats just what is necessary.  think of it like investing in good gear to get good sound.. well in this case the piece of good gear necessary is an equalizer..

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #292 of 625
I've got to say Br777, if a $1000 pair of customs needs serious eq'ing to avoid sounding congested, then there's a serious problem with those customs.

Have you contacted UM?

Same with Spekkio: You might have a quality control issue. Try talking to UM.

UM's quality control has slipped a bit, it looks like. For a Chinese-based custom company, you really want to avoid having to ship things back and forth overseas. I hope they get a serious handle on their QC soon. They used to be quite good.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #293 of 625

Quote:
I've got to say Br777, if a $1000 pair of customs needs serious eq'ing to avoid sounding congested, then there's a serious problem with those customs.

Have you contacted UM?

Same with Spekkio: You might have a quality control issue. Try talking to UM.

UM's quality control has slipped a bit, it looks like. For a Chinese-based custom company, you really want to avoid having to ship things back and forth overseas. I hope they get a serious handle on their QC soon. They used to be quite good.

i go back to my point in my post above.. but maybe you're right.. i wont rule out either one at this point.
it would certainly seem like this shouldnt be happening, but who knows..
I dont want to jump to conclusions about quality control just yet. 

i really dont want to have to send these back, and go through the hassle of paying for shipping, waiting, and not knowing if they will be better, the same, or worse.. ugg.. lets not think about that just yet.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #294 of 625
Every review that i read , people hyped and loved the accurate frequency response of the miracle ...
If iam getting my miracles now after close to 2 month waiting time (order on the first day of the promo) and not getting a top notch quality product , iam going to punch a kitten.
Beside that , i seriously think they should work on some sort of process tracking method ... i would like to know whats happening with my IEMs / money.

Quote:
Haven't heard the Miracle myself, but I can wholeheartedly recommend HiFiMan HM-801, preferably with Game amp module.
It has a very high sound quality and it's a one in all unit instead of a DAP, LOD, amp combo.
And now RockBox is on the way which will upgrade the UI and EQ.

Thanks for your advice, the HM 801 was my fav for some weeks. Things that put me off are the 8h playtime and the aesthetical unpleasing formfactor + screen. Also the GAME amp cost 165 € / 220$ additionaly. For me , there are to many downsides for 1140 $ ( SQ over aesthetics but still).

Edit: Germany seems to be horribly overpriced in the hi-fi departement ... CyberMonday redunctions on Triple Fi 10 -> only 320 $ instead of 400$ .. while US ppl fetching them for 99$

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #295 of 625

Quote:
Every review that i read , people hyped and loved the accurate frequency response of the miracle ...
If iam getting my miracles now after close to 2 month waiting time (order on the first day of the promo) and not getting a top notch quality product , iam going to punch a kitten.
Beside that , i seriously think they should work on some sort of process tracking method ... i would like to know whats happening with my IEMs / money.

Thanks for your advice, the HM 801 was my fav for some weeks. Things that put me off are the 8h playtime and the aesthetical unpleasing formfactor + screen. Also the GAME amp cost 165 € / 220$ additionaly. For me , there are to many downsides for 1140 $ ( SQ over aesthetics but still).

Edit: Germany seems to be horribly overpriced in the hi-fi departement ... CyberMonday redunctions on Triple Fi 10 -> only 320 $ instead of 400$ .. while US ppl fetching them for 99$

I emailed UM Global, and apparently, if you put the order through UM Global or any authorized UM reseller (apparently Stephen Guo @ custom-iem.com is not an authorized reseller, as there is none so far in the US or Canada, he does somehow have a partnership for North American orders for UM) UM will be able to update you on the status of your IEM if you email them.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #296 of 625
well i ordered from uniquemelody.co.uk which i guess is a offical reseller considering UM Global announced their promo ... i asked for a tracking method and the answers was pretty clear "there is no way to track the process"

now iam curious ...

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #297 of 625
Wow... That's "impressive"...

Thank god I went with the proven local Singapore distributor, Stereo Electronics...

Phew...

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #300 of 625

Quote:

its really hard to say whats at work here.  according to both their frequency chart, and my lisening with sine-gen and a rolling frequency file, there clearly is not a hump.

so.. whats at play.. is it unique to my pair?  I dont know.  It could be so many things.

1) Can you post a photo of frequency plot/chart, please?

2) I am intrigued by your above remarks - this is pure speculation on my part, but is it possible that one of the mid or bass drivers is wired out-of-phase..? I don't know where the bass/mids are crossed-over - is it, perhaps, at the 125hz point you refer to in your EQ graph? Could it be possible that your experience of a 'cleaning-up' of the sound when dipping 125hz may relate not to an excess of 125hz muddying the sound but to a bunch of phase-incoherence muddying the sound, which negative EQ-ing may be minimising the obviousness of? If the bass driver is representing the music in one phase, and the mid is overlapping in the opposite phase, then dipping this phase inconsistency might be one plausible reason for the sound (subjectively) improving, mightn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back