Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Dec 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #436 of 625
I2ehan

If I were you I would send them back

They are expensive and you should be happy not disapointed, the artwork should jump out at you and it clearly doesn't. 

I feel sorry for you as we have had to wait a long time for them, I would be gutted

Greenmac

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #437 of 625

Quote:
Ok head-fi'ers I need your help here.

I had selected a custom artwork for my Miracles and at the time of ordering ensured that I submitted a high resolution artwork (1052 x 1109 resolution) to avoid any issues with the final look. I paid £90 for the full colour HD option and also sent in a mock-up of how my Miracles should look. I spoke to Yusuf at Ampcity to review the artwork to see if it would cause any issues. I was assured that since I had gone for the Full Colour HD option and since the artwork was just one colour it would come out very well.

This is the mock-up I sent

This is what I got

Obviously I extremely disappointed with my Miracles as you can see from the pics that the artwork is extremely dull and very faint. At an arms distance you can barely see it. Customs look solid black and the artwork is only visibile under strong light. If they had said this was how it was going to look I would have either changed my artwork or not gone for one at all. Having spent £90 for something that is only under a strong light is not acceptable for me.

So does anyone here think it is unreasonable for me to ask for them to redo the artwork or get them to refund the £90? What do you guys think?

My guess is that instead of printing your artwork onto clear acrylic faceplates (including printed black background), they may instead have not printed any black background but just printed the red graphic onto very dark smoked acrylic, to match the dark acrylic of the rest of your shell. If so, that would explain why the red is so lacking in 'vividness', particularly if the printing was applied to the inside of the faceplate, though this is unlikely - I would anticipate the printing being applied to the outside of the faceplate, with clear lacquer subsequently being applied on top, to seal the grapic.

Look at position 4:30 in the following clip, to see what I"m on about:

An alternative method of artwork is demonstrated at 7:53 in the next UE clip (but, as far as I'm aware, at the present time, UM use printing, rather than laser-etching, for their custom artwork).

I agree that I wouldn't be happy with your artwork as it is. Did you provide the artwork with black background or did you provide graphics in pure red, with instructions to apply this to a completely-black physical shell? Either way, your graphics deserve to pop-out more than they do, but I'm just curious.

Personally, I do think your discontentment is reasonable, though I don't doubt that UM had the best of intentions in doing it the way they did. I'm sure Yusuf and UM both wish you to be happy with your purchase, and will do what they can to ensure this is the final outcome.

*************************************************************************************************
EDIT: just noticed this remark from MaoDi, in an old review of UM's 'Mage':

http://www.head-fi.org/t/448215/unique-melody-mage-review-appreciation-thread#post_6055055

in short - artwork is, as I anticipated, on inside of the UM Mage, not on the outside with lacquer protection.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #438 of 625

Quote:
Ok head-fi'ers I need your help here.

I had selected a custom artwork for my Miracles and at the time of ordering ensured that I submitted a high resolution artwork (1052 x 1109 resolution) to avoid any issues with the final look. I paid £90 for the full colour HD option and also sent in a mock-up of how my Miracles should look. I spoke to Yusuf at Ampcity to review the artwork to see if it would cause any issues. I was assured that since I had gone for the Full Colour HD option and since the artwork was just one colour it would come out very well.

This is the mock-up I sent

This is what I got

Obviously I extremely disappointed with my Miracles as you can see from the pics that the artwork is extremely dull and very faint. At an arms distance you can barely see it. Customs look solid black and the artwork is only visibile under strong light. If they had said this was how it was going to look I would have either changed my artwork or not gone for one at all. Having spent £90 for something that is only under a strong light is not acceptable for me.

So does anyone here think it is unreasonable for me to ask for them to redo the artwork or get them to refund the £90? What do you guys think?

The other thing I am concerned about is the way the sound bores look on my Miracles. It looks unfinished or incomplete (gaps between the two sound bores). This may be how they normally look but can someone confirm this?

Personally, I like what you got better than the original pic. I bet they look better in person than you pic, as thee is quite a bit of glare. I think it looks killer, and being a little more subtle adds to it, in my opinion (Humbly)

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #439 of 625

Quote:

My guess is that instead of printing your artwork onto clear acrylic faceplates (including printed black background), they may instead have not printed any black background but just printed the red graphic onto very dark smoked acrylic, to match the dark acrylic of the rest of your shell. If so, that would explain why the red is so lacking in 'vividness', particularly if the printing was applied to the inside of the faceplate, though this is unlikely - I would anticipate the printing being applied to the outside of the faceplate, with clear lacquer subsequently being applied on top, to seal the grapic.

Look at position 4:30 in the following clip, to see what I"m on about:

An alternative method of artwork is demonstrated at 7:53 in the next UE clip (but, as far as I'm aware, at the present time, UM use printing, rather than laser-etching, for their custom artwork).

I agree that I wouldn't be happy with your artwork as it is. Did you provide the artwork with black background or did you provide graphics in pure red, with instructions to apply this to a completely-black physical shell? Either way, your graphics deserve to pop-out more than they do, but I'm just curious.

Personally, I do think your discontentment is reasonable, though I don't doubt that UM had the best of intentions in doing it the way they did. I'm sure Yusuf and UM both wish you to be happy with your purchase, and will do what they can to ensure this is the final outcome.

appreciate the education on this, Mython. Pretty amazing

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #440 of 625
Yeah, I previously always imagined that the shells must be moulded using a small-scale centrifugal-moulding / roto-moulding technique, but never suspected the ingenious use of time-controlled UV-light exposed colloid 
rolleyes.gif

I find the process fascinating, too.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #441 of 625
my set of miracles will prolly arrive this week :/ UK to GER shipment seems to be time consuming pre-xmas.

@hardtarget666 i have to say that i like the darkish outcome alot more than your picture :) but you need to be happy i guess

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #442 of 625

Quote:
my set of miracles will prolly arrive this week :/ UK to GER shipment seems to be time consuming pre-xmas.

@hardtarget666 i have to say that i like the darkish outcome alot more than your picture :) but you need to be happy i guess

Have you received any shipment information, like what courier they use or a tracking number?

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #444 of 625

Quote:
Quote:

Mine came with both L and R facing inwards and something sounded really off. I'd never have known the polarity was off, had I not experienced a similar situation with my TF10 a while back. Else, I'd have given up altogether. I was beginning to wonder why my W4, PFE242, and GR10 all sound much more balanced. No competition, now that I've got the correct orientation. 
smile.gif

That's weird, I always wondered which way, but I have both facing inwards and I don't notice anything peculiar regarding channel imbalance or anything

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #445 of 625
Mine could very well arrive within the next 16 hours or so, but since I lack a tracking number I can't know for sure. Two and a half months, I really hope it was worth it.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #446 of 625
Quote:
That's weird, I always wondered which way, but I have both facing inwards and I don't notice anything peculiar regarding channel imbalance or anything

I believe the wiring may have been altered with mine, because I've tested two cables now, and each one requires me to switch the orientation around in one earphone, so that on one side, the letter faces in, and on the other it faces out. Only then do they sound balanced. Doesn't bother me, since they sound incredible once they're in. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Mine could very well arrive within the next 16 hours or so, but since I lack a tracking number I can't know for sure. Two and a half months, I really hope it was worth it.

Rest assured, they're definitely worth the wait, my friend! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #447 of 625
Quote:

Thanks for the videos. The artwork that I provided was with black background.

Quote:
Personally, I like what you got better than the original pic. I bet they look better in person than you pic, as thee is quite a bit of glare. I think it looks killer, and being a little more subtle adds to it, in my opinion (Humbly)

The pic actually shows it in a better light than it is. In person the artwork is very very faint.

The bad news just keeps coming.
frown.gif
I can notice channel imbalance where the imaging is skewed to the right which is strangely the side where I have the fit issues. Tested it out with different sources but the result is the same. Will speak to Ampcity and let keep you all updated on the progress.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #448 of 625
I just picked up mine at the local post office and I'm giving them my first listen now. The fit seems to be very good on the left piece whilst being also good on the right, but it doesn't seem to be burried as deep as the left. I haven't lost my seal on either yet, though.

I'm not going to say anything about the sound yet, other than they do sound very good.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #449 of 625
Quote:
The bad news just keeps coming.
frown.gif
I can notice channel imbalance where the imaging is skewed to the right which is strangely the side where I have the fit issues. Tested it out with different sources but the result is the same. Will speak to Ampcity and let keep you all updated on the progress.

Have you tried switching the cable orientation? It may be a polarity issue, as was the case with mine. For instance, if the L on the left side of the cable is facing inwards, flip the right side of the cable around, so that the R is now facing outwards.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #450 of 625
This happened with my non-miracles, I thought the left side wasnt putting out the same sound as the right, especially the bass.  For some reason I tried turning the cable around and it works the same now

Quote:

I believe the wiring may have been altered with mine, because I've tested two cables now, and each one requires me to switch the orientation around in one earphone, so that on one side, the letter faces in, and on the other it faces out. Only then do they sound balanced. Doesn't bother me, since they sound incredible once they're in. 
smile.gif

Rest assured, they're definitely worth the wait, my friend! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back