[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #46 of 911
Quote:
the more these cans are "burned" and used, the better it sounds.. so sweet on the imaging and vocals..

I tried Lorspeaker mention to remove the foam on the earcup just by pinching them off.. I was hopeful the soundstage can be even wider and crispier sounds (as I am actually very happy with it already driving from power amps), but quite surprising it didnt work out well...

the soundstage probably becomes so wide it loses the naturalness.. Vocals not as focused anymore.. more importantly, the bass becomes resonated and not as tight.. The differences are quite significant.. I urged those of you who have this cans to try this easy and reversible mod.. depending on source/amp and preferences, this mod might be suitable for some..
smile.gif

yaap, when i pinched it off, it sound good with my IPAD....Lo Fi IPAD.

now i am at home using my audiogd dac n one fancy tube amp, the EVO sounded alittle bright on my setup,
and i went into my closet to look for my spare BEYER foam which is THINNER than this EVO foam...
hmmmm now it sounded just right to my ears...adds some intimacy than when its naked. :p

===================================================

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #47 of 911
for gaming positioning/soundstage and seperation is a priority, not heavy on bass is also good (but you can always knock the lower frequencies down). emulating sound from the back is also a huge plus. sound like the superlux should do the job.
replacing the pads with velour pads should solve the pads problem (i think you also get a pair if you buy from AliExpress), does they clamp hard on the head?
as for takstar:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/641024/takstar-hi2050-first-impressions

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #48 of 911
My worry is more whether the EVO would be a good buy for me.

By the way, this is the first time I had not seen a comparison with an "audiophile" brands. Usually a new Lux would be marked as a giant killer. What other higher end headphones does the EVO sound like?
More bass and less harsh, specially when compared to my old Samson SR-850, is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just torn whether I should get the EVO or save up more for M50?

I fear if I'm stuck with the Luxes, as great as they might be, I'll never experience real high end brand of cans....

FOR 50bucks..
there is no sloppy bass, can be tight, can be thumping at times, depends on the song, but not a basshead can for sure.
there is v little roll off in the highs, good clarity, reminds me of AKGs somewhat.
mids are not in your face,  not reccessed, not super seductive for vocals :p

personally, i would pick this over the following cans..for different reasons if i had to make a choice :
HM5, Uptown, Klipsch Image/ReferenceOne, Fostex T50RP stock, Monster Ntune, AD900x 
( dun shoot me..just my ears. )

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #49 of 911
Quote:

When I had mine I almost immediately re-cabled it... the stock cable is terrible...

i took two strips of thin foam and stuffed them into the sides of the pads to angle the drivers for better imaging.

===========================================================================

http://shopworld.ultrasone.com/us/product.php?id_product=44
took out an "extention cable",  (from an ultrasone780)
and replaced that on the EVO,
the sound relaxed immediately, the mids became a notch more involving, more air too,
woooow this can now is not borderline good anymore. 
IT IS GOOOD ! and for 50bucks its AMAZING.
IT is MY K550killer, okok.... i dun mind transplanting a K550pad on this EVO..lol.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #51 of 911
Quote:
Any velour pads for this cans?

my box came with a spare set of pleather, no velor. 
cant think of any velor of this size off my head. 
and i am guessing this can needs leather or pleather to help focus the bass that is already there in the 50mm 

edit: there is a set of velor pads in the box, and i prefer this to the pleather !!
=======

PS: right this moment...i am having "no trouble" going from classicals to jazz to pop...
no major weakness/annoyance...this can is holding up against my bigboys,
it is here to stay in my fold..........it will satisfy my appetite for an AKG in my fold... for 50bucks.
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #53 of 911
I also got my second pair of EVOs recently, and they too came with the new extra velour / velvet pads included. My first EVO, which i bought when they first came out, didn't had those extra pads. i gotta say, those new velour pads are really nice. I like them better then the AKG K240 velours that i used so far. The EVO velours / velvets have more space for the ears than the K240 Velours AND they are even more more comfortable. And all this for 28 Euros = 37,22 Dollars (I'm from Germany). Thats unbelievably awesome. Still can't believe it (x___X ).

So I recommend these to everyone, you can't do anything wrong. It's a win-win situation  ;D

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #54 of 911
Quote:
I also got my second pair of EVOs recently, and they too came with the new extra velour / velvet pads included. My first EVO, which i bought when they first came out, didn't had those extra pads. i gotta say, those new velour pads are really nice. I like them better then the AKG K240 velours that i used so far. The EVO velours / velvets have more space for the ears than the K240 Velours AND they are even more more comfortable. And all this for 28 Euros = 37,22 Dollars (I'm from Germany). Thats unbelievably awesome. Still can't believe it (x___X ).

So I recommend these to everyone, you can't do anything wrong. It's a win-win situation  ;D

Where did you order them from?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #56 of 911
Quote:

its velor?? opps...gotta check mine again 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #57 of 911
Quote:

I posted this earlier.  Thought I would bump it again because Markertek still has them in stock in white.  I would be all over these if I didn't already own the original HD681 (which I love BTW).

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #58 of 911
i ordered them from www.thomann.de , it's a german shop. Really recommend it ;D

Most superluxes are uncomfortable, because most peaople buy the wron ones. In my opinion, the closed superluxes sound bad (HD669 etc.). The only ones i really started to like are the 681, 681B and the EVO. All open cans. And they can be really comfortable  ;D  Especially the HD681 / 681B, if you get rid of the pleather pads and change them with AKG K240 Velours Or Shure SRH 940 Velours. My favorite is the 681B. With Shure velours it's even more comfortable than my AKG K400 & K500 and my Beyerdynamic DT880. And you guys know, that these are one of the most comfortable cans out there ;D

However, you have to widen the metal-clamp a little bit, and fit it to your own heads. Thats pretty easy to to, just widen them a bit with your hands . . . and voila, they are super comfortable. The pleather change is a must do though, they make your ears sweat very fast.

The velours also take away some of the harsh treble. I would willingly pay 100 or more dollars for the combo 681B + shure velours, if they would cost that much. It's THAT good ;D

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #60 of 911
Quote:
I read here that the superlux are not the most comfortable headphone, do you have glasses and if you do can you wear the headphones for several hour or does it get painful?
8.gif

I wear exclusively Acetate/Plastic frames all day every day and have found these headphones to be very comfortable I can't feel any pressure whatsoever on the glasses with the velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back