[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Jul 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #16 of 911
Was thinking about getting those next to my modded HD681 mkII (fran`s filter) but after reading rockgrotto members impressions about them, gave up the idea. 
Yes it has it`s own design and somewhat more beautiful than the AKG design-copy and better pads but when I consider old HD-681 having half price of EVO + probably littlebit better sound, then I think I can manage with those vinyl pads. 

More of EVO owners impressions against HD-681 (reds)?

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 911
I also had searched around for this information prior to my purchase, and had considered buying a pair of HD681 (red). I take it that the mod is intended take some of the 'harshness' out of the highs?

I have found the HD681EVO to be comfortable and the listening experience to be 'energetic' whilst having nice clarity across the board, but I have little to compare to.
I don't think velour pads have been shipped with the HD681EVO's in the past, but if I buy the HD681 and add the price of new pads (12.10+3.80 shipping from ebay) then the price of the two is more or less equal, if I add the price of a few caps/resistors for the filter mod the HD681 come out more expensive but maybe better sound.

Here's my reason for going EVO:
1) Price - they end costing more or less the same after factoring in the pads/mods. If the HD681 were half the price I would have gone that way which negates the following two points.
HD681EVO - $49 (yes, this is less than most prices on the various sites but this is what I paid - you can still get them for $51.20 today though)
HD680 (red) - $33.99 + $15.9 + (a few cents/dollars for caps/resistors)

2) No labour required - I am quite a dab hand at soldering and electronics in general, but would rather spend time listening than hacking away at an off the shelf product.
3) Looks - the EVO's look a bit prettier, possibly look more durable.
4) Sound - the mods would make the HD681 better (probably), so this is probably a reason to go with the HD681

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #18 of 911
well, ok, was exaggerating littlebit, from my location EVO is 33€ + post and HD-681 is 24€ + post. Personally I would change pads on EVO also anyway and filter components are very cheap so they don`t add much to the cost of HD-681. Yes, EVO is looks nicer but I don`t care about it, sound is important for me and HD-681 with mkII filter seems to be better but I hope to get listen EVO soon to make my final conclusion.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 911
Quote:
well, ok, was exaggerating littlebit, from my location EVO is 33€ + post and HD-681 is 24€ + post. Personally I would change pads on EVO also anyway and filter components are very cheap so they don`t add much to the cost of HD-681. Yes, EVO is looks nicer but I don`t care about it, sound is important for me and HD-681 with mkII filter seems to be better but I hope to get listen EVO soon to make my final conclusion.

I have seen quite few review between 681 and 681 evo and preference is quite even, some review prefer 681 and some raving about 681 evo so i'm not sure which is better. But for sure the 681 evo look better and if it sounds as good as the 681 it's even stealth at 50$, in my opinion, 681's sound quality it as good as 150$ headphone like AT M50. The 681 has some quality that unmatched by any headphone at its price range: detail, soundtage, and deep, big bass. I only find it sound sign at few headphone: Beyer DT990, Fischer audio Fa-011 and the LCD-2 at 999$

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 911
muzzle, you bought yours from AliExpress with free velour pads, then you said "AudioHipster is probably the best deal". What do you mean by that? And who are the "sellers" in "...those sellers based in the US are unlikely to have the latest stock". Thanks!

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 911
You have a point. I guess what I should have said is that if I was based in the U.S.A, I would have purchased from audiohipster.com.

I cannot say for sure, but the velour ear pads do not appear to be included in early shipments (based on other users comments/reviews) so ordering from a retailer with 'old' stock may mean that you only get the pleather pads.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 911
keanex
Many thanks for the review. You can compare HD681 EVO to sennheiser hd558 or 598? Maybe you can evaluate these earphones as on a site http://en.goldenears.net/14529 (6 - opinion)? It is very interesting to understand how these earphones differ from others.

Maybe someone found measurements of these earphones, at least frequency response graph?

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 911
anyone knows if the old681 and the new evo have the same drivers?
i am thinking of transplanting these 50mm drivers into a....................................
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 911
Quote:
anyone knows if the old681 and the new evo have the same drivers?
i am thinking of transplanting these 50mm drivers into a....................................
wink_face.gif

It's very possible. Actually probable.

Either Superlux are mod gods or their drivers are just naturally good. I'm not sure yet, probably a bit of both.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 911
Hey, 
In my pusruit for some sub70 euro headphones I discovered these headphones which seem to be getting very good reviews.
My deal posting here is:
I can't get these in a local store in my country so I'd have to order them from somewhere else which means I'll have to pay post fees (these are ludicrously set at 20~ euro generaly) So I hear that for the price they are the best but after lifting the price from 30 to 50 euro they enter play with the sennheiser hd 439 which I can get promptl at a local store for roughly the same price. Now the question remains: without the low price element are  these no longer the best choice? How do they compare to the hd 439/449? (now I know the sennheiser 449 and 439 debate still lingers, so I know it might be difficult to answer :S) 

Also, and this is a more simple question, do these have a strong clamping force? I wear glasses and it would make them extremely unconfortable to me.

Thanks in advance

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #29 of 911
i gotten the evo for a few days, some comments. :

the stock pad is made of quite thick pleather, which gives it a feel of better quality..i can live with this pleather to be honest.
the cups are bigger than the denons, beyers, ADs, HE6..so those pads wont fit the EVO the ALphapads wont fit either.
.the LCD/K550pads should fit but i havent try it yet.
i decided to stuff some foam under the pads to angle the drivers.
tongue.gif

the clamping force is not strong nor loose, firm enough for my head without it being TIGHHHT. 
the headband doesnt seem to have enough "give". so a longer head might be a problem unless u managed to pull up the inner rubber straps more. Generally v comfy, very light on the head.
k701smile.gif

the foam protecting the drivers are quite thick, i just pinch it off directly without the need to remove the pads...
and the sound is much clearer, witihout it being sibilant,
there is ANOTHER inner smaller-diameter, thin foam glued over the driver.

soundstage left to right is quite good, there is some depth, surprisingly good for a sub 100bucks can.
but of cos the K550 soundstage is much bigger. 
the sound is quite balanced without the "upper brass glare" mentioned in the k550thread.
but somehow i think the cups of the evo are not HARD enough...cant explain it. 
i might open it up and stick some leather, or pour liquidmetal to harden it. 
biggrin.gif

The color of the sound is quite neutral to cool on my audiogd amp, surprisingly...
quite good separation, enjoying this for classicals. 

oppps...the bass...yaaa this can CAN put out some good bass from off my ipad, and audiogd amp...
EARTHWINDFIRE is groovvving right this moment...the bass beat is firm...not sloppy 
MJ just came on..REMEMBER THE TIME.. hitting hard thru my audiogd amp.
gs1000.gif

the cable looks thick, not those thin skinny cheap cable. dun feel a need to change it. 

i recommend a BUY if u are on a small budget but wants a "good" sound.
or u just need another can to toss into your truck.
or u need the drivers for transplanting...50mm..slurpssss.
or just gave up on the k550.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #30 of 911
the more these cans are "burned" and used, the better it sounds.. so sweet on the imaging and vocals..

I tried Lorspeaker mention to remove the foam on the earcup just by pinching them off.. I was hopeful the soundstage can be even wider and crispier sounds (as I am actually very happy with it already driving from power amps), but quite surprising it didnt work out well...

the soundstage probably becomes so wide it loses the naturalness.. Vocals not as focused anymore.. more importantly, the bass becomes resonated and not as tight.. The differences are quite significant.. I urged those of you who have this cans to try this easy and reversible mod.. depending on source/amp and preferences, this mod might be suitable for some..
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back