[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
May 18, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #905 of 911
hmm its might be seems light weight but I not sure if hd681 evo short connector will be tough enough even with extension cable whatsoever, its seems fragile to me, they just support it with cheap plastic attachment that bring more tension than protection :deadhorse: my suggest is you use short extension to connect to your receiver then wrap it into your superlux headband

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #906 of 911
hmm its might be seems light weight but I not sure if hd681 evo short connector will be tough enough even with extension cable whatsoever, its seems fragile to me, they just support it with cheap plastic attachment that bring more tension than protection :deadhorse: my suggest is you use short extension to connect to your receiver then wrap it into your superlux headband

Bump. I thought I'd chime in as I've had the Evo's quite a while now. "Flogging a dead audiophile?" :smile:. I worry about that flickety flingy thingy all the time and always unplug the cable when I'm done listening to them, fortunately I haven't had any issues with it. I would however much rather an easily replaceable cable go bad than a permanently attached male plug, my 2 cents.

My issue with these is when I changed the pleather cups to the velour cups the "doughnut" holes were smaller so the velour cups rested on my ears, ouch! So I had to change them back.

They do sound really good for a $40 set of cans, pretty hard clamping force however.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #907 of 911
Bump. I thought I'd chime in as I've had the Evo's quite a while now. "Flogging a dead audiophile?" :smile:. I worry about that flickety flingy thingy all the time and always unplug the cable when I'm done listening to them, fortunately I haven't had any issues with it. I would however much rather an easily replaceable cable go bad than a permanently attached male plug, my 2 cents.

My issue with these is when I changed the pleather cups to the velour cups the "doughnut" holes were smaller so the velour cups rested on my ears, ouch! So I had to change them back.

They do sound really good for a $40 set of cans, pretty hard clamping force however.

ah its so long time I didn't use superlux or other brands that doesn't has isolation so much because 2 major problems : I got a hyperacoustic and my neighborhood was noisy too.
talk about connector, I once use it with aftermarket cable wtih heavy female jack and now my evo's short jack is wobbly
clamping force probably for noise isolation too, I had hd662b recently, staight out of the box the noise isolation was good, similiar to cheap earmuff
bad news is the hd662 evo doesn't isolated that well even the clamping force was tighter than hd662b

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #908 of 911
So I've had the EVO's for about a week now and I'd like to give my impressions. First of all, they're very impressive headphones for the price I payed for them (30€), in terms of sound as well as the build, design, comfort and accessories. To me they sound fairly well balanced, warmish with a bit of mid bass boost, great sub bass extension and good balance between mids and highs. Mids seem a bit recessed, but are flat and sound very natural. Highs seem pretty well extended and not harsh or too boosted. Soundstage is pretty big in my opinion, and has good center image and decent depth, the sound is big in scale overall. I think these headphones work best with vocal and jazz music. Not so well with more complex genres. They have pretty good resolution and detail overall, definitely far better than their price would suggest, but overall they're a bit slow and get congested quickly when there's a lot of things going on. Also, I'm running them out of a Musical Fidelity M1DAC and M1HPAP combo, so that's quite overkill for them, but they do improve a lot over just plugging them into an iphone. They also seem quite hard to drive for 32 ohm headphones.

To compare them with similar sounding headphones, I'd say they're similar to AKG K612's and Sennheiser HD558's, which are about 4 times more expensive. EVO's have more bass than both, but otherwise are quite similar in terms of balance, tonality, soundstage, detail, etc. However, both of those do better with complex music and are ultimately much more enjoyable in longer listening sessions.

To compare them with similarly priced headphones, I have my old trusty Sennheiser HD202's around. They're considerably less resolving than EVO's, seem muddy and overly dark in comparison, while at the same time don't have the same amount of bass. So it's definitely a win for EVO's here.

However, there's a big downside to the EVO sound - and that is typical for all cheap headphones for me. It just doesn't involve me in the music. It's not an effortless playback, and as the music gets more complex, it feels like the headphone is under strain and can't cope. To go to an absolute extreme, my T1's don't give a damn about how complex the music is, in fact, the more complex it is, more impressive they are. Yes, I will compare the 30€ EVO's to 1300€ T1's. Side by side, from my setup, with certain music, they're damn close. For example, on The Super Audio Collection Volume 5 Sampler SACD from Linn Records, there's a male vocal track called "Early in the morning". To be honest, EVO's sound every bit as good as the T1's on that track. Same spot on tonality, same fullness of the vocal, same dynamics, holographic presence of the voice in front of me, etc. There's virtually nothing in between them. BUT, when I turn on something like Culprate - Deliverance album, the EVO's fall apart and show their cheap price. That's why I just can't fully enjoy music on them. I might be spoiled by much more expensive headphones, but they're just not quite there for me. For someone who wants to spent their money on good headphones for the first time, this will be a damn good buy, as good as it gets.

For me, the simplest way I can explain the issue is this: when I listen to music trough EVO's, I click on a track, listen for 20-30 seconds and think to myself "damn this sounds pretty good", but then I wanna click on another track, and I do. And then again listen for 20-30 seconds thinking it sounds good, but skip the track and move on...and I just keep skipping the tracks, without being involved in music, because it simply doesn't make me wanna listen. When I put the T1's on, I NEVER EVER skip a track. When I start, whatever it is, it just pulls me into the music so much in just a few seconds that I keep listening to the end. I guess that's an unfair comparison, but as far as the value goes, EVO's are amazing, that is for sure, and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to spend this sort of money on headphones.

Also note that mine are totally stock, haven't modded them, I'm just using velour pads, with both foam rings in place. Didn't try without them at all.
!thanks
That's a fascinating review. I've been mulling over the purchase of Sennheiser HD650 for weeks (at around $210 equiv in Europe). Maybe I should dip my toe in the water with the Superlux HD681 EVO but I have a feeling that, if I don't absolutely love them, I will still be hankering after the Sennheisers for that indefinable something that helps you to get lost in the music. I think I know what you mean, but we are all so different. Anyway, thanks again your much aappreciated review.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #909 of 911
After reading all of the above I am very confused. I was saving for a pair of Sennheiser HD650 phones. However...the Superlux HD681 EVO are a tiny fraction of the price and appear to be sort of similar. Heck they're both called HD-6**.
But I had sort of assumed the Superlux, if not total rubbish, are at least fatally flawed.
"NO!", you cry; and some even volunteer that the Superlux are better for some music. I'm really confused. I just want to listen casually to a wide range of music (classical, impressionist, rock, folk, choral and almost anything with the possible exception of jazz); that's all. Would I be a complete mug to spend my meagre pension on Sennheiser cans that are an order of magniturde more expensive?
Some of the comments in this thread go back a long way so this is not news to all you headphone experts. How is it that the world still volunteers to pay so much? I just don't get it and I need help.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #910 of 911
what do you want from two different brand? similarity in sq? the thing is most of superlux's headphone require tweaking/modification.
besides, the hd681 evo didn't praised enough in superlux community, not as its predecessor.
20_minutes.png

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #911 of 911
After reading all of the above I am very confused. I was saving for a pair of Sennheiser HD650 phones. However...the Superlux HD681 EVO are a tiny fraction of the price and appear to be sort of similar. Heck they're both called HD-6**.
But I had sort of assumed the Superlux, if not total rubbish, are at least fatally flawed.
"NO!", you cry; and some even volunteer that the Superlux are better for some music. I'm really confused. I just want to listen casually to a wide range of music (classical, impressionist, rock, folk, choral and almost anything with the possible exception of jazz); that's all. Would I be a complete mug to spend my meagre pension on Sennheiser cans that are an order of magniturde more expensive?
Some of the comments in this thread go back a long way so this is not news to all you headphone experts. How is it that the world still volunteers to pay so much? I just don't get it and I need help.
Decided there must.be a reason they're.so popular and my Sennheiser HD-650 'phones should arrive tomorrow. It's the right decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back