[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #886 of 911
exactly what I wanted. i am tired of reference neutral cans. i wanted a fun one and bassy also open and airy. This seems the perfect candidate. I am going to use Brianwavz XL with this for maximum comfort. Thanks for all of your inputs!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #887 of 911
how do these currently hold up in comparison to what's been recently released?
I have the HD668b & the EVO and they are both very very good but also very different IMO. I did do the cotton thingie swap with the thick ass black felt on the EVO and it does improve sound. I run velour on both. As to how do they compare to the newer Superlux I believe the HD672 is superior. I like the band clamping mechanism better and the sound with the Shure pads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OM06R...colid=UEUTZ3E5CU97&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
is absolutely awesome especially with metal and hard rock. They are light and very comfortable for my large head.
The crunch and bass are excellent and I just find them so much fun. I have the DT990 600ohm and sometimes switch to the 672! Maybe my favorite right now. I bought another pair to have at my second hp setup.
Very fun headphone.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #888 of 911
BTW power the HD672 with my Keces stack (HA-171 & DA131.1)

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #890 of 911
what makes HD672 better than Evos and HD668b for you? And where did you get your HD672? I found one on Amazon but I think it's not really HD672, but HD671 because there's no reattachable cable as mentioned by reviewers
No 672 has a detachable cable that is either a photoshoped pic or a pre-production unit.
The EVO has great fun low end and is musical but the 672 is IMO superior everywhere. I installed the Shure pads on the 672 and they are comfortable, musical, have excellent bass (and treble) and seem to absolutely love metal, they are my new go-to for metal and electric guitar music. I a\b them against the 668b also and prefered them every time. They seemed to play a bit louder, not that matters to me much but...
I got mine on Amazon from Kellards I believe is the name of the seller.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #891 of 911
No 672 has a detachable cable that is either a photoshoped pic or a pre-production unit.
The EVO has great fun low end and is musical but the 672 is IMO superior everywhere. I installed the Shure pads on the 672 and they are comfortable, musical, have excellent bass (and treble) and seem to absolutely love metal, they are my new go-to for metal and electric guitar music. I a\b them against the 668b also and prefered them every time. They seemed to play a bit louder, not that matters to me much but...
I got mine on Amazon from Kellards I believe is the name of the seller.
How's the treble though? I read the review in diyaudioheaven that the treble is harsher than 668b. But damn.. $20 on Amazon and it goes toe to toe to your DT990? I am a budget hifi and this is good news to me.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #892 of 911
The DT990 are superior but there is something very special to me about the HD672 and I would not hesitate for a moment purchasing them for 20 buck!
As a matter of fact I bought another pair a few weeks ago so i can have them on another system. I didn't get the Shure pads though because they are pretty much the same price as the hp's. I used a pair of velours that came with either the 668 or EVO's and they fit fine for me. They sound very similar but I think the Shure pads do make them sound just a pinch nicer than the Superlux velours.
I'm listening to a remaster of Yes's self entitled Album on disc and I am really enjoying the sound. Granted the Keces amp and external DAC cost many times more than the HD672's but they scale well and I never feel like I'm compromising just enjoying the music.
Check out https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #893 of 911
The DT990 are superior but there is something very special to me about the HD672 and I would not hesitate for a moment purchasing them for 20 buck!
As a matter of fact I bought another pair a few weeks ago so i can have them on another system. I didn't get the Shure pads though because they are pretty much the same price as the hp's. I used a pair of velours that came with either the 668 or EVO's and they fit fine for me. They sound very similar but I think the Shure pads do make them sound just a pinch nicer than the Superlux velours.
I'm listening to a remaster of Yes's self entitled Album on disc and I am really enjoying the sound. Granted the Keces amp and external DAC cost many times more than the HD672's but they scale well and I never feel like I'm compromising just enjoying the music.
Check out https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/
The review on diyaudioheaven doesn't seem to be promising. are the mods mandatory for this? The evo sounds good to me even at stock.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #894 of 911
Wow! I thought the review showed great promise. For me a 17 dollars set of pads on a 20 dollar hp was well worth it based on what I got for results.
If you have the EVO and enjoy them just keep listening to them. I like having options, I have three different hp setups at the house one SS, one hybrid and one pure tube enjoy them all. I have the Beyers, 400i's (running balanced) and the three Superlux and the 672 are getting most of my headtime on the SS Keces system.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #895 of 911
OK so hands down the HD672 is my favorite can for metal!
Listened to Dream Theater Images and Words ~ Metropolis-Part 1 was epic...just epic!
Sorry to butt in on the EVO thread but if your thinking of the EVO consider the HD672 as a viable option or get both like me!

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #896 of 911
Hi!

I bought a Superlux HD681 EVO headphone in July of 2016. I was overwhelmed, because it sounded incredibly.
But the headband simply snapped after not even two years of use. Don't ask me why, but I was stupid enough to not call the shop about the warranty (pretty sure they would've changed the whole headphone in a heartbeat). I removed the original, and made one from vinyl.
It was a perfect replacement, but after two years, of course the vinyl stretched and now it sits kinda loosely on my head.

I've found a Polish shop where I could order an original headband, but it wouldn't be a wise choice but that would also snap after like 1,5-2 years.
What do you suggest I should do? Make another headband from vinyl or sacrifice some money and buy a new headphone? (like Beyerdinamic)
Apart from the headband, it still works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_110853.jpg
    IMG_20180402_110853.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180408_174105.jpg
    IMG_20180408_174105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #897 of 911
Quick question for all the EVO fans. My first pair of EVO's were black, real bassy, kinda wooly. I did the foam mod and they became awesome. I listened to them for a few years and the headband snapped. Said I'd never buy another pair but did. The new ones are white and don't sound like me last ones. Good bass but treble is there and pretty clean. Sound much more balanced.
Did they revise the EVO at some point? Did the white and black sound different? Seems unlikely. BTW both were bought new.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #898 of 911
Hi!

I bought a Superlux HD681 EVO headphone in July of 2016. I was overwhelmed, because it sounded incredibly.
But the headband simply snapped after not even two years of use. Don't ask me why, but I was stupid enough to not call the shop about the warranty (pretty sure they would've changed the whole headphone in a heartbeat). I removed the original, and made one from vinyl.
It was a perfect replacement, but after two years, of course the vinyl stretched and now it sits kinda loosely on my head.

I've found a Polish shop where I could order an original headband, but it wouldn't be a wise choice but that would also snap after like 1,5-2 years.
What do you suggest I should do? Make another headband from vinyl or sacrifice some money and buy a new headphone? (like Beyerdinamic)
Apart from the headband, it still works perfectly.
If you want a headphone that is similar in some ways to the EVO but a step up (a small step but still a step) look at the X2HR. It's built like a 500+ dollar hp, has a similar sound signature and will probably last forever. I had both but returned the X2 and kept the EVO...because the EVO came so close for so much less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back