[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #76 of 911
your head looks longish....can u try to shorten it by an inch?? 
biggrin.gif

which model is yours?? the headfone i meant...looks diff from mine. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #77 of 911
Quote:
your head looks longish....can u try to shorten it by an inch?? 
biggrin.gif

which model is yours?? the headfone i meant...looks diff from mine. 

Maybe a number 0 haircut. No model number visible on the headphones only "Superlux", and "HD681 EVO". I will take a look on the box at home maybe...
I will likely use a lighter rubber band to the ones in here to reduce tension when put on my longish head.
I have fully removed the strap now for repair when I get home. I have added some more pictures of the insides etc. Funny wiring :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #78 of 911
geez...u really took them apart.. my head barely moved/stretched the strap 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #79 of 911
Bit of glue, refit the rubber bands, and reassembled.
I have straightened the rubber bands (less twists = longer band) and done it up tight around the strap. The result is that the strap is loose fitting and won't need any stretching. The headband may now be a little loose but will try them out for a day and see if I need to adjust.

For anyone looking to adjust the band - remove the screw on the inside of the band and slip the outer cover downwards. When assembling, ensure you put them on the same way they came off - the left hand outer has an L stamped on the inside.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #80 of 911
I also opened my EVO and, instead of replacing the rubber, i completely removed it. Now the headband is loose, but thats ok, because i have a big head and now it fits perfectly. The pressure was too much before. Never had this problem with the old 681's :-/

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #81 of 911
I have many Superlux models. The EVO and the 662F are my favorites..
I first ordered the black EVO (I did the foam discs mod) and I then picked up the white one (not modded).
I also replaced both cables (99.9% copper).
Their signature is slighty different but I LOVE them both. It depends on my mood and the genre.
Out of the box, the lower mids/upper lows are overwhelming and a bit muddy, and their signature is pretty dark.
But after 200 hours of break-in the highs and mids opened up and the bass became tight and impactful, with a nice rumble.

They are fun, have great bass, an amazing soundstage, very good separation and details level and no sibiliance or harshness.
And they are very easy to mod.
Of course, those phones are not high-end and their mids could be more forward, but they are worth every dollar.
My Q701 plays in another league but IMO the 681 EVO destroys almost all of the so-called or wannabe budget kings (in direct comparison, my Koss DJ 100 sounds like a cheap gas station headphone).
Seriously, I can't believe they cost only $30. Crazy.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #82 of 911
30bucks...I have been rippppped off !!!!
confused_face.gif

i had the K702/q701/k550....never quite settled down with them for longgg...
despite my unexplainable deep liking for AKGs b4 i heard them..LOL.

this EVO will comfort me for the loss of my akgs.. 50  30bucks..man who could believe this china marvel.
( aren't a lot of cans made in china..? )

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #85 of 911
Quote:
The 681 EVO is $50 lowest price. If its $30 somewhere I'll buy another pair.

I live in Switzerland
Thomann doesn't charge for VAT outside the Euro zone and Switzerland isn't not part of the European Union.
Shipping is free since I order with friends and the orders are always over 199 EUR.
In the end, the EVOs cost me 23.45 EUR instead of 27 EUR.
23.45 EUR = 29 Swiss Francs = $30 US
It's that simple.
And it this is why I bought a lot of different Superlux models Who wouldn't at that ridiculous low price?
After I sold my Philips X1 and my DT-880 600 (which are both excellent but I don't miss), I bought a lot of inexpensive superb sounding phones... (each one with its own signature). When it comes to headphones, sound signature diversity is a 'must' imo.

See by youself:
http://www.thomann.de/intl/search_dir.html?sid=88e08755f1ff230fddd9985e465bd642&sw=superlux+headphones&x=0&y=0
And Thomann is apparently selling Superlux gear like hot cakes...
Check the headphones top-sellers:
http://www.thomann.de/intl/topseller_sthp.html

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #86 of 911
Quote:

Did not work. Lousy mechanical design.

I had to go back a few pages to figure this post out :) If you want to adjust headband tension/position, I would suggest you open the sides of the headphones up, and tweak the rubber band. In my case I opened them to fix the band which I had torn due to pulling, but I untwisted the rubber bands whilst in there, and adjusted the tension by tightening the knots on the band. They sit better on my head without pulling.
I have noticed there is a difference in the rubber band (different batches of the headphones?) - it may look like the band below which differs from mine. Worth noting that if you were to remove this and 'exercise' the band a bit the tension may let off a little. I did this while I was messing around inside there so maybe that helped too.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #87 of 911
Dun think my head's gonna break any rubberbands...hehe

This can has been on my head the whole week, quite a feat given the other cans i have...
paired with the inexpensive darkvoice 336se, with a pair of nondescript tubes n this can smokes. 
Angling the pads with some stuffings is highly recommended. 
the sound is nothing like 50bucks..sorry 30bucks.
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #88 of 911
A very simple mod is changing the original pad to stock t50rp pad that make the sound more balance, less, tighter bass, mid more foward and reduce the sharp dip at 4khz:

Green line is the EVO with t50rp pads, purple line is stock EVO (graph and modding from Frans@diyah)

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #89 of 911
Your graph is from the Evo stock velor or pleather? Any diff there?
Can u kindly post photo of the t50rp pads on the Evo...do they fit well?? Tight?

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #90 of 911
Quote:
Your graph is from the Evo stock velor or pleather? Any diff there?
Can u kindly post photo of the t50rp pads on the Evo...do they fit well?? Tight?

The graph is from EVO with pleather. I dont have the EVO, only the original 681 but the cup dimension is the same so i believe the t50rp pads will fit tight and well in the EVO:

As velour vs pleather, i only have about 10 minute to listen to a original 681 with akg 240 velour pad and there is very little different between velour and stock pads, Frans also said that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back