REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Mar 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #226 of 484

Quote:
Really looking forward to testing it. EL34's plus 6SJ7's - liking that tube combo, at least on paper. I wonder if the 6SJ7's are strapped triode like in the DV337.

Maybe it is being used as a pentode and that's why some negative feedback is used???

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #227 of 484
Thanks for this thread Skylab. Really appreciate the head-fiers who take the time to compile these lists and there's a lot of great follow-up posts in this thread as well (mp-301 mk2 looks pretty sweet!).  Also, in addition to your quote below, I think I read elsewhere that you stated head-fi newbies tend to over-think their first budget purchases versus just jumping on any one of the many quality amps. That sound about right?   It's about time for me to buy my first amp and I could use a veteran's eye..err, ear.  

Likewise, If my amp budget is a mere ~$200-450-ish, should I just get my short list together and buy? I'll be using Sennheiser 600s w/ a wide variety of lossless recordings of every genre; funk, classical, country, punk, jazz, electro, piano, rap, blues etc. I'm from a family of musicians and value depth and width in my soundstage for accurate instrument placement as well as tonal quality. While I don't demand clinical accuracy from my amp, I would definitely prefer that versus the falsified sound of an overly warm tube. Should I be mildly picky, or just roll the dice given my meager budget?

Thanks in advance for any advice peeps.

Quote:
 I should also point out that, IMO, the amps ranked from #5 on down are all VERY close in terms of sound quality. From 6 up, some significant jumps begin to occur.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #228 of 484
Hi Skylab & everyone

would you recommend the Darkvoice 337/Lafigaro 339 for higher impedance phones like senns 600/650 and 600ohm Beyers?
It is OTL so it should be ok but I can remember having read something that it sounds better with low impedance phones, bizar.

I'm hoping the 339 is as warm as you described the 337 in one of your other threads. I understood they produce quite some bass, I'm looking forward to that.

Does anyone by chance happe to know the mesurements for these amps, I can't seem to find them online.
Thanks again

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #229 of 484

Quote:
Maybe it is being used as a pentode and that's why some negative feedback is used???

Ahhh, could be.  It is, after all, a pentode :)  I guess we shall see.  My review loaner will be here in a couple weeks, according to Garry from MP.

Quote:
Thanks for this thread Skylab. Really appreciate the head-fiers who take the time to compile these lists and there's a lot of great follow-up posts in this thread as well (mp-301 mk2 looks pretty sweet!).  Also, in addition to your quote below, I think I read elsewhere that you stated head-fi newbies tend to over-think their first budget purchases versus just jumping on any one of the many quality amps. That sound about right?   It's about time for me to buy my first amp and I could use a veteran's eye..err, ear.  

Likewise, If my amp budget is a mere ~$200-450-ish, should I just get my short list together and buy? I'll be using Sennheiser 600s w/ a wide variety of lossless recordings of every genre; funk, classical, country, punk, jazz, electro, piano, rap, blues etc. I'm from a family of musicians and value depth and width in my soundstage for accurate instrument placement as well as tonal quality. While I don't demand clinical accuracy from my amp, I would definitely prefer that versus the falsified sound of an overly warm tube. Should I be mildly picky, or just roll the dice given my meager budget?

Thanks in advance for any advice peeps.

Thanks for the kind words.  Indeed, I would just do some reading, and then take the plunge.  You might consider buying used, as that way you can basically try one risk-free, as you are likely to be able to sell if for at least close to what you bought it for.  Hint:  A Woo WA3 used would be in that price range and would be nice with the HD600 :)

Quote:
Hi Skylab & everyone

would you recommend the Darkvoice 337/Lafigaro 339 for higher impedance phones like senns 600/650 and 600ohm Beyers?
It is OTL so it should be ok but I can remember having read something that it sounds better with low impedance phones, bizar.

I'm hoping the 339 is as warm as you described the 337 in one of your other threads. I understood they produce quite some bass, I'm looking forward to that.

Does anyone by chance happe to know the mesurements for these amps, I can't seem to find them online.
Thanks again

Yes, at least the DV337 is good with the high-impeadance cans.  I've never heard the 339, but it also should be, since it's based on the same design as the 337.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #230 of 484
Skylab, I was curious, in your review of the Isabella, you stated that it was the best headphone amp and preamp that you had in your home, however you ranked it 2 as opposed to the Leben, would you say that the Leben is the best headphone amp that you have had in your home, now?

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #231 of 484
Yes, I would indeed say that about the Leben. You have to look at WHEN I made the reviews, in addition to what I said for it to make any sense
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #232 of 484
Skylab, have you ever had a chance to hear the Isabellina HPA/DAC, WA-22, or WA-5?  If you have, was it long enough to render a good judgement?

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #235 of 484

Quote:
Skylab, have you ever had a chance to hear the Isabellina HPA/DAC, WA-22, or WA-5?  If you have, was it long enough to render a good judgement?

I have not.

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #236 of 484
Thank you Skylab.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #238 of 484

Quote:
This has probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread but what about all the Little Dot tube amps?

I have never been offered a loaner to review (note that I only accept loaners from the maker, not from individuals).

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #239 of 484
Nice review Skylab. This may be unfounded but I'm wondering are you not simply listening to the tubes more so than the actual amp, thus different tubes equal a different sounding amp? I suppose the question would then be what are the better tube configurations and what amps best support these tubes?

I've owned both a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and currently a Darkvoice 336i and no matter what tubes I tried the Singlepower fell short of the sound quality I get from the albeit cheaper Darkvoice.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #240 of 484
When you are listening to a tube amp, you are listening to the tube, the circuit, and the other parts. So the tubes matter, but so does the circuit they are used in, for sure.

The DV336 is a really nice sounding amp, with high impedance, high sensitivity headphones. No doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back