REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #242 of 484

Pacific Valve is now offering the Ming Da MC 84 C07 in an "upgraded" configuration for $524 which includes  2X Mullard EL84 Tubes and 2X Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes.  Any experience w/ these tubes?  If so, does it sound like a good deal for $110 extra?

Wondering if the Ming Da or the Woo 6 would be the best match for my K701s.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #243 of 484

Quote:
When you are listening to a tube amp, you are listening to the tube, the circuit, and the other parts. So the tubes matter, but so does the circuit they are used in, for sure.

The DV336 is a really nice sounding amp, with high impedance, high sensitivity headphones. No doubt.

While my DV336i was best with my HD600, it was still pretty good with my Denon D2000 and Ultrasone Edition 9 headphones.  Although not as good with Grado RS-1 it wasn't bad, although it sounded thin and bass-lite with K701 and W5000.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #245 of 484

Quote:

Skylab - Pacific Valve is now offering the Ming Da MC 84 C07 in an "upgraded" configuration for $524 which includes  2X Mullard EL84 Tubes and 2X Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes.  Any experience w/ these tubes?  If so, does it sound like a good deal for $110 extra?

Wondering if the Ming Da or the Woo 6 would be the best match for my K701s.

Know you didn't pose this question to me, but I own the amp in Ming Da amp in question.  Use it mainly with high impedance phones and am very happy with it.  Also own K702s, will give the combo a listen today and report back here.

However, if you can wait a little while......stay tuned for Skylab's review of this amp for 1/2 the $$.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #246 of 484

Quote:

Know you didn't pose this question to me, but I own the amp in Ming Da amp in question.  Use it mainly with high impedance phones and am very happy with it.  Also own K702s, will give the combo a listen today and report back here.

However, if you can wait a little while......stay tuned for Skylab's review of this amp for 1/2 the $$.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75

Very nice looking amp, from the pictures it seems to be of sturdy construction. Nice low price.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #247 of 484
Quote:

Cool - looking forward to your impressions.  Very interested in the headroom and any hum you may hear.  Do you have the version w/ upgraded tubes?

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #248 of 484
another epic thread, thanks! im almost done in my (trans)portable journey, and im starting to build my home rig, big help!

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #249 of 484
The Ming Da uses uses output transformers, so is compatible with low impedance HPs.  K701/702s are 62 ohms.  I may be able to hear the slightest of hum in the K702s, but I have to strain to hear it, could be my imagination or the fluorescent lights in my basement.  Certainly not an issue when listening to music.  I know what hum sounds like, it is bad on my Bottlehead Crack OTL (no output transformers) amp with low impedance phones.  

The Ming Da amp puts out about 6 watts, so there is power a-plenty.  I've read it puts out the 6 watts from the speaker outs and the HP outs, but cannot verify this.

I don't even remember what the stock Chinese tubes sounded like in this amp.  Replaced them nearly immediately with reissue Gold Lion EL-84 power tubes and am running organ-pull 1950-1960s vintage Baldwin (Sylvania) black plate 12AX7s small signal tubes.

The Gold Lion's run $60 + shipping for a matched pair and decent NOS/used 12AX7s can be had for $25 a piece most days.  So, $110 for the upgraded tubes is not a bad deal probably.  Or, you could get the amp with the stock tubes and take the $110 and buy some better tubes, then you will still have the stock tubes in an emergency.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #250 of 484

Quote:
Hey Rob
Just curious, what source do you typically listen to your tube amps with?  Computer based?

Depends what you mean by "computer based".  I use an external high end DAC (Audio By VanAlstine), which is fed via either an Oppo universal player or via a iPod Classic with Lossless files whose digital output is extracted by a Wadia iTransport and then sent to the DAC.  And then I also listen via my high-end vinyl rig.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #252 of 484
great thread still... glad it keeps going

Quote:
IMO, the amps ranked from #5 on down are all VERY close in terms of sound quality. From 6 up, some significant jumps begin to occur.

although I appreciate this (seems like a power law kind of distribution, huh?) I would like to note that as owner of two of the also-rans on this list here, they sound to me very different from one another - in good ways :wink:

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #253 of 484
Skylab you should do something similar to this ranking for DAC.  Is your current dac (Audio By VanAlstine) is the best dac you heard?  Is the leben cs 300xs still the best amp for its price?  Thank you for your work I really enjoy reading it and use it as a guide.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #255 of 484

Quote:
Skylab you should do something similar to this ranking for DAC.  Is your current dac (Audio By VanAlstine) is the best dac you heard?  Is the leben cs 300xs still the best amp for its price?  Thank you for your work I really enjoy reading it and use it as a guide.

I may try this at some point, although I have only reviewed 3 DACs so far, so I have a long way to go :)  Yes, the AVA DAC is the best I personally have heard.  It's outstanding, and given the performance, it's a bargain at it's price.  And yes, the Leben is still my favorite amp.  Every night I listen to the Leben and the Sony R10, and think what a lucky guy I am :)

Quote:
Can we expect a comprehensive review of the Trafomatic Experience Head One? :)

I need to do that.  It is a TERRIFIC amp, with a lot of flexibility, and quite a bit of drive capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back