REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #166 of 484

Quote:
Bottlehead techs will build the amp for $150.  That adds up to an assembled cost of $369 + shipping.  
smile.gif

Actually, I am thinking of getting one done this way: http://www.soundingenuity.com/custom_headphone_amp.htm

Quote:
Have you had a chance to listen to Mapletree (MAD) amp?

I have not.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #167 of 484
Skylab- I got a Musical Paradise MP-301 due in today. The price was right, your review helped and I just wanted to thank you before it arrived in case I hate it....LOL..
 No...seriously Thanks!!!
 Ed

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #169 of 484

Quote:
Quote:
Bottlehead techs will build the amp for $150.  That adds up to an assembled cost of $369 + shipping.  
smile.gif

Actually, I am thinking of getting one done this way: http://www.soundingenuity.com/custom_headphone_amp.htm

That's pretty slick. I was thinking for my next build I'd put an amp into a small hard suitcase (or pelican case or something similar). Amp on one side, power supply on the other, cables and miscellany stashed to the side.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #170 of 484

Quote:
Quote:
Skylab, did you ever have the opportunity to listen to the Hifiman EF-5?

No, I have not, sorry.

What +- 500USD tube amp would you recommend for the Beyer DT99/600? I like warm laid back sound, it even may be colored by the amp, as long as it has seriously good bass.
Thanks again!

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #171 of 484
In that case, I'd recommend the MingDa MC84c-07. Warmish overall sound, and you an adjust it with tube rolling. Good sounding amp overall.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #173 of 484
Hi I'm just enquiring about something strange I've experienced with my darkvoice 337 amp. When I first started using it the surface temperature of it was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds, and I've read around and this is the norm. However recently the entire amp runs less hot than the past, and the right surface is noticeably less hot than the left, to the touch. Sound quality has no changes though, at least I can't tell. Is there anything wrong with the amp? Slightly worried cuz I bought it used one month ago and I'm not sure how old it is  

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #174 of 484
How didI miss this post? Anyway, what a nice read.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #175 of 484
@ voodoohao.

I notice the same thing with my 337.
different tubes don't seem to make any difference,sometimes left is hotter and vice versa,
as you say it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality.
my dv is about 18mths old now and has always been this way from new.
I haven't been too worried about it until a month or so back when i read somebody had blown the resistors on the SE version,
which is where most of the heat appears to emanate from on mine.
As this is my first tube amp ,i'm hoping some of the more experienced users could shed some light on whether this is normal behaviour or not.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #176 of 484
Yup would really like someone who have experience on this issue to share any knowledge, because I'm afraid one of the resistors might be blown causing a lack of current on one side, which then results in it being less hot? I'm just making wild guesses though...just worried that it might become a problem in the future

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #178 of 484
Skylab, You are amazing!  Just found your "A ranking of 29 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps", what a fantastic resource!

I have ordered HD650s, looking for an inexpensive (around $300?) tube amp/DAC, can you make a recommendation?

Thank you!

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #179 of 484

Quote:
Skylab, You are amazing!  Just found your "A ranking of 29 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps", what a fantastic resource!

I have ordered HD650s, looking for an inexpensive (around $300?) tube amp/DAC, can you make a recommendation?

Thank you!

Thanks.  I cannot really make a recommendation for you since I have not owned HD650's in 3+ years.  But I will say that there are not many choices for a tube amp/DAC combo in that price range.  I would recommend getting a Woo WA3 or a Schiit Valhalla, perhaps, and then getting a DAC later.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #180 of 484

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Thanks.  I cannot really make a recommendation for you since I have not owned HD650's in 3+ years.  But I will say that there are not many choices for a tube amp/DAC combo in that price range.  I would recommend getting a Woo WA3 or a Schiit Valhalla, perhaps, and then getting a DAC later.

Or, you could get a NuForce μDAC-2.  The headamp built into it works quite well for low impedance headphones and while it's not the ideal amp for the HD-600/650, it performs very well as a USB DAC/amp for 120 bux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back