REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #137 of 484
I've heard tons of software that tried to do this. All of them failed. This is something you just can't do with software. Some solid state amp manufacturers have also attempted this, and imo the sound came across as very warm and colored. It didn't sound anything like a tube amp. Also, I agree with Skylab. Tube amps sound as different from each other as ss amps do. Imo even more so than ss. I currently own two tube amps right now. I absolutely love both of them. They couldn't sound more different. Each one has a very unique and distinct sound.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #138 of 484
Your argument about this is not new - Bob Carver claimed 20+ years ago that he could design a SS amp that sounded like a tube amp.  Sure, you can model the distortion priducts - but the issue is you think that is what defines the sound - and I don't agree with that.

But I would REALLY rather not muck up this thread with a lengthy discussion on this topic.  If you'd like to debate this, please take it to the Sound Science forum.

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #140 of 484

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't believe in the idea that there is a single, prevalent "tube sound signature", at all, and I think only people who have no experience with tube amps do believe that.  Tube amps sound as different from each other as SS amps do, and I have heard some SS amps that sounded more like some tube amps than some other tube amps did.  So I do not think you can use software to "reproduce the tube sound signature", because that only exists as a generic fictional concept, not a real phenomenon.

JMO, of course, YMMV.

Sorry to side track a little. I've been using the WA6 for over a week, it sounded a touch solid state in terms of speed and extension - just the texture and harmonics give a clue that it's a tube amp. In fact, it's a touch edgy on some tracks with female vocals or excessive hi-hats. Either that or my new HD800 is still un-seasoned with 30 hrs on it. 

Is that the impression you get with your WA6?

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #141 of 484
I do think that you may need more burn-in on your HD800.  But the WA6 is a pretty neutral sounding amp, yes.

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #142 of 484

Quote:
Sorry to side track a little. I've been using the WA6 for over a week, it sounded a touch solid state in terms of speed and extension - just the texture and harmonics give a clue that it's a tube amp. In fact, it's a touch edgy on some tracks with female vocals or excessive hi-hats. Either that or my new HD800 is still un-seasoned with 30 hrs on it. 

Is that the impression you get with your WA6?

Quote:
I do think that you may need more burn-in on your HD800.  But the WA6 is a pretty neutral sounding amp, yes.

I agree the HD800 need more than 30 hours.  But don't forget, tube selection also affects the sound a lot with the WA6.  With an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 rectifier it sounds more "tubey" than with a Sovtek 5U4G for example which can sound a little grainy and plasticky in the highs in comparison.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #144 of 484
Guess I was expecting something a lot more euphonic. I had a lush Cayin HA-1A with Mullard CV4003 & CV4004 a year ago, so expected something around there. If the WA6 doesn't work out, I'll take a look at the Leben.

Well recorded tracks sound quite nice but not forgiving of bright thin recordings compared to my speakers. Acoustic piano & guitar sounds amazingly real.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #145 of 484

Quote:

I agree the HD800 need more than 30 hours.  But don't forget, tube selection also affects the sound a lot with the WA6.  With an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 rectifier it sounds more "tubey" than with a Sovtek 5U4G for example which can sound a little grainy and plasticky in the highs in comparison.

Thanks for the tip on Bugle Boy.

Just found this post by Hawkhead:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/427799/the-woo-audio-6-se-my-impressions-updated/30

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #147 of 484
Basic WA2.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #148 of 484
thank you skylab. Oh one more question if you don't mind- have you tried WA2 with HE5-LE?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #149 of 484
Hi Skylab i read a lot of your review & it's very helpful. After read this article http://www.headphonista.com/woo-audio-wa2/ ,make me confused.
In this article darkvoice 339 in my opinion = lafigaro 339 which sound characteristic similar with darkvoice 337.
This article contradicted with your review summary. Plz advise.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #150 of 484
Hi Ridy1 - I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are just wondering why that writer feels differently than I do,  this is no big surprise - people hear things differently.  Can you clarify?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back