REVIEW: SPL Phonitor
Feb 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have lived with the Phonitor for Six Months, and it's charms will only endear you further the more time you spend with it!

Most Amps take Music and extrude it out one end, much like a child's play-doe machine. Remember balling a bunch of clay and pulling the plastic handle down and watching a star pushed out waiting to be cut.

Music just appears and is displayed with a natural, unforced quality out of this amp. You listen for extended periods with great clarity not noticing any grit or grain. Manage the best Source possible and you will be rewarded!

The crossfeed is not a gimmick with this amp as it is with others. You can make shifts in the spatial response....without drastically altering the frequency response. Maintaining plausibility to the musical event, and that manages to keep the listening really engaging.

It's one of a kind and should be sought after!

Very well said. I have mine for 3 months and loved it. On top of all said, there is a sense of realism listening through the Phonitor - I just feel it.

F. Lo

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 118
Thanks for the review Dreadhead. You said you've had or still have a Beta22. Any comments about Phonitor vs B22 performance?

Looks like you've used non-classical music for your evaluations. If by any chance you listened to some orchestral music with it, I'd be thankful if you could comment about it's timbral qualities and dynamic abilities with such music.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review Dreadhead. You said you've had or still have a Beta22. Any comments about Phonitor vs B22 performance?

Looks like you've used non-classical music for your evaluations. If by any chance you listened to some orchestral music with it, I'd be thankful if you could comment about it's timbral qualities and dynamic abilities with such music.

As far as Phonitor vs beta22 goes one thing I can say is that with my low impedance cans the Phonitor was quieter than the particular beta I had. Dynamics wise I would say the Phonitor was up there and as fast as the beta but this is from memory so I don't trust it much.

I actually listened to quite a bit of classical on it but I don't tend to use it as my critical listening testing except for imaging. Anyway I would say the amp does great with it. There is definitely nothing blocking what the DAC3 was putting out and plenty of power and dynamic range for the quietest plucks to the largest crescendos.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 118
Thanks for the reply
biggrin.gif
Sounds like a very interesting amp so...

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really like a smaller more simple model (and cheaper).
I heard the Phonitor and it definitely is the best solid state amp I heard so far. I would really like to have one, but it is too expensive for me right now.

So maybe the Auditor would do the trick?

auditor-start.gif

The amp section uses the same (120-volt) technology as the Phonitor and seems to be very similar (with even better specs!). It renounces the speaker simulation and crossfeed, though. – If I didn't already own the Symphony, I would be seriously interested in it myself.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

auditor-start.gif

The amp section uses the same (120-volt) technology as the Phonitor and seems to be very similar (with even better specs!). It renounces the speaker simulation and crossfeed, though. – If I didn't already own the Symphony, I would be seriously interested in it myself.

Thanks, I noticed it allready. Should definitely be a contender for best headphone amp (although Arn from Goldpoint is now making an improved Headphone Pro, due here in a couple of weeks, which promises to be in the same league...)

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 118
I'm very interested in Auditor as well. Phonitor seems to be the bigger brother with more functions but they should both sound quite the same.

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One feature that the Auditor is also missing is the dim switch which, on the Phonitor, will provide a much better range of volume control for low impedance headphones like the Edition 8, DT48, and the Grados.

I think this is worth pointing out as many of us have more low impedance cans than higher ones.

BTW, the Phonitor and the 600 ohm version of DT880 is like match made in heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 118
Won't you need the Phonitor controls to produce the same sound from the Auditor, as the Phonitor produces (e.g. crossfeed, speaker angle, etc.)???

I doubt the Auditor will be able to produce the same "speaker-like" soundstage as the Phonitor does, since it doesn't have those controls.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #27 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.) what do they use to control volume?

Yeah, you're right, no volume knob on it anywhere! Maybe it's tiny?
tongue_smile.gif
(Check again.)

Quote:

2.) internals photo?

Found these on a Polish Hifi site:

70786604.jpg

58945211.jpg

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #28 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you're right, no volume knob on it anywhere! Maybe it's tiny?
tongue_smile.gif
(Check again.)

Thank you for the photos.

What i meant about the volume, was... what type of attenuator or gain modifier etc etc was behind that knob.

I don't see a typical analog attenuator, so guessing digital??

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #29 of 118
Quote:

Thank you for the photos.

What i meant about the volume, was... what type of attenuator or gain modifier etc etc was behind that knob.

I don't see a typical analog attenuator, so guessing digital??

Ah, right.
icon10.gif
The manual says it's an ALPS RK27 pot, so that appears to be a normal volume pot. (If you look closely at the first photograph you can just see the edge of the pot housing.) I don't know how it's incorporated in the circuitry though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back