Jun 15, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #32 of 118
That build quality is very very nice!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, right.
icon10.gif
The manual says it's an ALPS RK27 pot, so that appears to be a normal volume pot.

Yes that's right it's the ALPS RK27. I measured my phonitor and there was no measureable channel imbalance throughout the pot range. I guess they have a very good selection process.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 118
Just to let every one who is interested in the Auditor know.
The Auditor has the same amp as the Phonitor but none of the cool sound enhancers.
So the Auditor will sound exactly like a Phonitor with the extras switched off.
It's an absolute bargain at $900 and I hope to have one within 2 weeks.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is kind of weird. Not knocking the RK27, but also not really "all-aboard" for that choice in a $2,000 headphone amplifier.

It measures flawless, so what more do you want? There is NO channel imbalance. It cant get any better than that, period.

king.mark: Actually the Auditor measures a little better, especially notable are 20dB less crosstalk which should result in slightly wider soundstage on the Auditor.

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to let every one who is interested in the Auditor know.
The Auditor has the same amp as the Phonitor but none of the cool sound enhancers.
So the Auditor will sound exactly like a Phonitor with the extras switched off.
I
t's an absolute bargain at $900 and I hope to have one within 2 weeks.

But... when SPL maintains that the major advantage the Phonitor has over other amps is... "the extra features" (crossfeed, speaker angle, etc.) which makes it sound like speakers instead of phones - why would anyone pay the premium for the Auditor, over other great amps.

"Simply inexplicable."

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #39 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It measures flawless, so what more do you want? There is NO channel imbalance. It cant get any better than that, period.

king.mark: Actually the Auditor measures a little better, especially notable are 20dB less crosstalk which should result in slightly wider soundstage on the Auditor.

longevity and feel (just my opinion) The volume control on the PS Audio GCHA has me really expecting good things at the $1,000 + range.

It works well in the Phonitor, that is perfectly fine and I'm sure it isn't taking anything away from it at all - just stating my personal preference.

I'm hoping the firmware type end user adjustment volume control from Head Amp will take off big and make its way into my devices! Analog feel, digital control, set the steps/sweep how you want it.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #40 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... when SPL maintains that the major advantage the Phonitor has over other amps is... "the extra features" (crossfeed, speaker angle, etc.) which makes it sound like speakers instead of phones - why would anyone pay the premium for the Auditor, over other great amps.

"Simply inexplicable."

It doesnt change the sound speakerlike, it's still "just" a crossfeed. Dont expect miracles from it. But what it does, it does with the highest transparency heard in crossfeed implementations to date.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #41 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Simply inexplicable."

Both still share the custom +/-60V op-amps which are unique to SPL...

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #42 of 118
Well... I hope you'll understand that... "I'm not buyin' it" - until I see the same rave reviews by the sound engineers that the Auditor sounds "just like the Phonitor" with the same speaker-like soundstage - which is the only aspect of its sound that they've really raved about.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #43 of 118
While the Auditor might be a very nice amplifier - it needs what the Phonitor has to truly make it "special" and stand out from the rest of the solid state amplifiers in that price segment.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #44 of 118
Well so far the lucky ones that tried the Phonitor also tried it with the effects switched off and from what I'm reading they are very impressed.
Since I'm just interested in an SS amp that brings my HD800s to really shine my personal choices are B22 or Auditor.
I finally decided to go with the Auditor and hope that the unique new amp technology of SPL really is excellent.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #45 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the Auditor might be a very nice amplifier - it needs what the Phonitor has to truly make it "special" and stand out from the rest of the solid state amplifiers in that price segment.

Absolutely...

... its just another SS amp, otherwise.

I'd much rather have a B22... in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back