REVIEW: SPL Phonitor
May 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #106 of 118
Quote:
The amp is not that powerful for low impedance stuff at all. The amp is class A but specializes with voltage rather than current. That's why low impedance stuff does not do well on it, namely the K701 and K702. Both models crave current but the Phonitor/Auditor lack a high current output. Not only that but both amps have a 9Ohm output impedance which means the headphones should be around 70-80 Ohms at least. Grado's sound fine on the amp because they do not need much current as they are highly sensitive.

As for the cables, BJC are nice cables. I've owned cables from them in the past and they were built really solid!

It seems counter intuitive, but I'm not up to speed on Ohms law, ha ha..  Many thanks. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #107 of 118
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into this amp. Coming from an old Roc user, I can relate this one to that pretty well. Did you compare the SE on the Roc to the Auditor, or the balanced operation to the auditor? thanks! 

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #108 of 118
Quote:
Anyone have comments about the SPL Phonitor with Audeze LCD2's low impedance?

I know this is an old thread, but this is a question that has been asked a number of times in different threads. Soon (hopefully) I may be able to chime in since i am getting the HE-6. I know, they are not Audezes but also low impedance and even harder to drive. I have read many posts that speake about the paper specs and the apparent incompatibility of low impedance cans with the phonitor, but then people here on headfi, people like Jude and the Wuss, have actually tried them and say that the combo is surprisingly good. I should have my cans in a week or 2 and then I am planning on posting my impressions. I will compare them to my HD800 set up as well as the performance of He-6 off my Onkyo receiver (off speaker posts) and the SPL phonitor. I am also going to a meet, where I will be able to hear the new GSX with the HE-6 and do a less precise compatrison in that respect --  with meet conditions taken under consideration. Let me know if you are interested. If I get couple of people that are still interested, it will help with the motivation aspect of this.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #110 of 118
The Auditor had no issues with being able to drive the LCD2's when I had them on loan for 2 months.  Nor does it have issues driving my HE-500's.

The Auditor is a Phonitor minus the added crossfeed and other controls.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #111 of 118
If SPL could improve one thing on the next model of the Auditor / Phonitor would be to update the pot for smoother tracking.  Currently, when turning the pot, its jerky when compared to my Audio-gd ROC SA pot, which is BUTTERY SMOOOOOOOOOOTH. The SPL pot stutters as you turn it slowly, while trying to hone in on just the right volume level.  Having my DAC set to XLR low gain (1.5v me thinks), helps with the volume travel but the feel of the pot is still crap. IT'S CRAP!

I do enjoy the FEEL of the SPL volume dial over the Audio-gd volume dial.  Audio-gd's dial circumference is fine, but they made it too short putting it too close to the case.  The metallic feel is not welcomed here.  SPL volume dial materials feel 'space age'.  Smooth plastic feel with a tad of smooth grip.

Amplifier manufactures should NEVER EVER skimp on the quality of the pot, followed by the quality of the dial that is over the pot.  It's the one thing we as music connoisseurs touch the most in all of our gear, the Volume Dial.  Not only SEXY looking, but SEXY feeling she should be. :thumbs:

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #112 of 118
SPL Auditor Vs. Audio-gd ROC SA

Fed by Reference 5.2 via coax.
HE-500 for headphones.
Calexico - Algiers LP - Track 4 - Fortune Teller

At the intro...
R-SA overly bloomy and boomy in the bass region.  I don't believe this is a headphone control/power issue, its the amp is adding in its own colour to the sound issue.
SPL-A is spot on. Wow, every note, every instrument, every sound is so damn well controlled. Nothing is out of place. Like a fine pressed suit. Its PERFECT.  I saying the garment is perfect :wink:

Once I heard that, I didn't bother with the other frequency's.  As an amp, if you can control the lower registers of the mix, you've done good, Real Good.  The end.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #113 of 118
Un-end.

SPL Auditor Vs. Audio-gd ROC SA pt.2

XLR going from DAC to SPL (passthrough) to A-GD
Song: Nirvana - Unplugged LP - Track 4 - The Man Who Sold The World (Previously a song by Calexico)
Headphones: K501's (Previously HE-500)

SPL Auditor is precise.  Grain free background. Quick decaying notes. Lacks euphony. Lacks syrup!
Audio-gd ROC SA ... I don't know how to describe. Its difficult.  The added bloomy warmth across the bass, mids and highs gives an impression of depth to notes and stage without sacrificing details or speed.  JUST what the doctor had ordered.

the end.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #115 of 118
Yeah.  Completely unnecessary.  If I was allowed to only keep one amp, it would bet he Auditor.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #117 of 118
Quote:
What's the use of XLR outputs ?
XLR Inputs connects to the Preamp (XLR to XLR or XLR to RCA).
But the XLR Outputs goes where ?

I believe the idea with the Phonitor and Auditor is that you connect it in line with your studio equipment. So you connect the phonitor between your source component and the speakers. The XLR out goes to your studio monitor speakers, which are often XLR input only. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back