Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #706 of 2,566
You ordered the Tera Player? And the SE5?  Sounds exciting~ I wonder how would you compare 1+2 to SE5 
tongue_smile.gif

And how does 1+2 pair with Tera player? Actually I mean how does Tera player sound? compared to dx100?

Sorry to answer for him but I can't help myself. He can complete if he wants :)

He owns the Tera and we ordered the SE5 together, they are in the works :)

I will compare SE5 and 1Plus2 for sure, but from what I hear, I doubt they have the same signature at all. The 1Plus2 is one of my best pairings with the Tera. The Tera smoothes over some of the possible harshness of the 1Plus2 with the DX100, but the 1plus2 is faster and punchier with the DX100.

Overall I think Tera vs DX100:

• The Tera is more effortless, with more balanced sound, more natural tone, more "analogic" sounding. It does not match every iem though. It sounds the best with the Kaede I think, but a bit fatiguing.
  • The DX100 is more powerful and more dynamic, but harsher and edgier, with a more digital sound

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #707 of 2,566
Quote:
Sorry to answer for him but I can't help myself. He can complete if he wants :)

He owns the Tera and we ordered the SE5 together, they are in the works :)

I will compare SE5 and 1Plus2 for sure, but from what I hear, I doubt they have the same signature at all. The 1Plus2 is one of my best pairings with the Tera. The Tera smoothes over some of the possible harshness of the 1Plus2 with the DX100, but the Tera is faster and punchier with the DX100.

Overall I think Tera vs DX100:

1. The Tera is more effortless, with more balanced sound, more natural tone, more "analogic" sounding. It does not match every iem though. It sounds the best with the Kaede I think, but a bit fatiguing.
  2. The DX100 is more powerful and more dynamic, but harsher and edgier, with a more digital sound

Thanks mate, in this case, 1+2 might sound brighter or pickier than SE5 then. SE5+DX100 is still one of the best pairing I ever heard, it's almost as good as 901. I don't find it harsh, probably a tiny bit edgier when it comes to ultra treble because SE5's treble is just way too extended.  DX100 is still very neutral to my ears. 901 is as dynamic, powerful as dx100 but a tap smoother and fuller.  Tera player sounds more like a little brother of 901. Why they don't come up a upgraded version with a screen? even a small one will do like studio V. It doesn't take much to do.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #708 of 2,566
Not defending TP.. but from Engineering point of view this not easy and it does take much to do.
  • A screen, no matter how small needs a back light, which mean you need a LED driver to do that. A DC/DC converter is not only wasting energy on TP's small battery but also causing interference if a good shielding is not implemented. 
  • TP is using NXP Arm chip that is very low and efficient in energy consumption. To achieve this Charles uses assembly as his programming language, this way he make sure he read and write directly to the chip without wasting any resources. He made everything from scratch taking only sound quality as consideration, not file format, not user interface. Using a screen will force him to write everything again in a higher level language, creating library, reading id tags, etc. This will waste a lot of resources and will compromise sound quality. 

For a lot of people including me, TP is the best sounding, small, and most efficient player available. Battery life is just insanely good. There are some minus point like no pause function that can be improved. But other than that, I'm very very happy with how it pairs with SE5. Like what spkrs01 mentioned: made in heaven match.

Quote:
Thanks mate, in this case, 1+2 might sound brighter or pickier than SE5 then. SE5+DX100 is still one of the best pairing I ever heard, it's almost as good as 901. I don't find it harsh, probably a tiny bit edgier when it comes to ultra treble because SE5's treble is just way too extended.  DX100 is still very neutral to my ears. 901 is as dynamic, powerful as dx100 but a tap smoother and fuller.  Tera player sounds more like a little brother of 901. Why they don't come up a upgraded version with a screen? even a small one will do like studio V. It doesn't take much to do.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #709 of 2,566
+1. To me the main issue is picky synergy. The lack of screen is not a problem, because it is so reactive and intuitive. Plus it apparently pairs great with the se5!
Not defending TP.. but from Engineering point of view this not easy and it does take much to do.
  1. A screen, no matter how small needs a back light, which mean you need a LED driver to do that. A DC/DC converter is not only wasting energy on TP's small battery but also causing interference if a good shielding is not implemented. 
  2. TP is using NXP Arm chip that is very low and efficient in energy consumption. To achieve this Charles uses assembly as his programming language, this way he make sure he read and write directly to the chip without wasting any resources. He made everything from scratch taking only sound quality as consideration, not file format, not user interface. Using a screen will force him to write everything again in a higher level language, creating library, reading id tags, etc. This will waste a lot of resources and will compromise sound quality. 

For a lot of people including me, TP is the best sounding, small, and most efficient player available. Battery life is just insanely good. There are some minus point like no pause function that can be improved. But other than that, I'm very very happy with how it pairs with SE5. Like what spkrs01 mentioned: made in heaven match.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #711 of 2,566
they look great! No disrespect to SE3, but they are hardly listenable after listening to SE5 :p

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #717 of 2,566
Quote:
Nice! I still wonder how the SE3 Pro (not Ref) compares to the SE5...

SE3 PRO sounded muffled, not extended (low clarity), very mid forward and bassy to my ears which made me think the tweeters weren't even working. I sent them to Grzegorz, he confirmed that the drivers are all fine expect a very tiny pressure problem (can't remember what it is exactly) was in the right ear piece, and he said still it shouldn't affect the sound. I was truly hoping SE3 PRO will sound like a junior SE5, sadly that's not the case at all. Technically IMO, SE5 might be 2-3 levels above SE3 pro.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #718 of 2,566
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #720 of 2,566
Quote:
SE3 PRO sounded muffled, not extended (low clarity), very mid forward and bassy to my ears which made me think the tweeters weren't even working. I sent them to Grzegorz, he confirmed that the drivers are all fine expect a very tiny pressure problem (can't remember what it is exactly) was in the right ear piece, and he said still it shouldn't affect the sound. I was truly hoping SE3 PRO will sound like a junior SE5, sadly that's not the case at all. Technically IMO, SE5 might be 2-3 levels above SE3 pro.

My SE5 sounds almost the same as SE3 Pro that you've described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back