Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #676 of 2,566
Quote:
Just 20 days since I received the Se5, and now they are broken. There's channel imbalance between the left and right earpiece... volume is not the same... the right piece doesn't produce volume as loud as the left piece, so much that it's very much audible... Did this ever happen to any SE user out there?

Check that you don't have sweat moisture in the sound tubes. You really need to use a hearing aid dehumidifier with the SE-5s.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #678 of 2,566
Also go to the audiologist and have your ear tested. I have the same problem before and I thought my source have channel imbalance, apparently I have 3 to 5db loss in my right ear because of constant exposure to guitar amplifier and acoustic guitar.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #679 of 2,566
Lol, funny i thought i was having a hearing problem too at first, but I don't think that's the problem.. I am using shure se215 now and it sounds very normal. Otoh, SE5 sounds really off and imbalance. After more listening to the 'crippled' SE5 I'm positive that the bass is completely missing from the right earpiece..

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #680 of 2,566
Oh man, probably one of the driver is busted. Like what some people already suggested, try giving it sometimes (2-3 days) in a very dry container and put 'serap air' inside. Humidity is really the bigest enemy of SE5.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #681 of 2,566
Serap air is a good choice, been using them for my other iems before I discover the hearing aid dehumidifier.. Now, I use this instead as per aj's recommendation.

Crap, 1st day of putting it in the dehumidifier. .still nothing...SE5 is still broken.

Now I have no idea how I'm gonna forward this to spiral ear...

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #682 of 2,566
Quote:
Serap air is a good choice, been using them for my other iems before I discover the hearing aid dehumidifier.. Now, I use this instead as per aj's recommendation.

Crap, 1st day of putting it in the dehumidifier. .still nothing...SE5 is still broken.

Now I have no idea how I'm gonna forward this to spiral ear...

Sounds similar to the issue I had. Although, I had the problem right from the start (one said sounded louder than the other and felt like sound was coming from the left all the time).

I ended up sending the SE5 back to get it looked at. Got it back a few weeks ago and now it's working great.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #683 of 2,566
Sounds similar to the issue I had. Although, I had the problem right from the start (one said sounded louder than the other and felt like sound was coming from the left all the time).

I ended up sending the SE5 back to get it looked at. Got it back a few weeks ago and now it's working great.

Wow.... This is exactly what I'm experiencing.. It feels like the sound is coming from the left side all the time.

May I know when did you get your SE5 the first time?

Did you send back both earpieces or just the right one? And did Grzegorz need to remold the earpiece? Did you need to send in a new impression? And at what cost? ...... this is really frustrating.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #684 of 2,566
Quote:
Wow.... This is exactly what I'm experiencing.. It feels like the sound is coming from the left side all the time.

May I know when did you get your SE5 the first time?

Did you send back both earpieces or just the right one? And did Grzegorz need to remold the earpiece? Did you need to send in a new impression? And at what cost? ...... this is really frustrating.

I got mine late last year... but my friend who was re-directing the parcels for me was away so it took me a while to get the SE5s to look at, resulting in the process dragging a bit.

I sent both pieces back. I think Grzegorz remade only the right one though. I didn't send through new impressions, and cost is basically just the shipping.

Just found the email, and Grzegorz told me the following "The right monitor has been remade, so as to improve acoustic outputs and it needs to be slightly bigger as a result, in order for the components to be positioned in a more optimal way. The output is correct and matched exactly." Not sure if it's relevant to your case or not.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #685 of 2,566
I got mine late last year... but my friend who was re-directing the parcels for me was away so it took me a while to get the SE5s to look at, resulting in the process dragging a bit.

I sent both pieces back. I think Grzegorz remade only the right one though. I didn't send through new impressions, and cost is basically just the shipping.

Just found the email, and Grzegorz told me the following "The right monitor has been remade, so as to improve acoustic outputs and it needs to be slightly bigger as a result, in order for the components to be positioned in a more optimal way. The output is correct and matched exactly." Not sure if it's relevant to your case or not.

Hi bucket,

Thanks for the feedback!

It was working great when I first got them (about 3 weeks ago). But, after like couple days ago, I left my SE5 up all night to burn in the twag cable and the next morning it is broken. Even though it was perfectly fine the night before I left it on.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #687 of 2,566
Emailed Grzegorz asking as to why this could happen and This is his reply:

"I know you've been putting the monitors in a pocket and that in itself voids warranty as of improper use and pressure exerted on the monitors this way, which might be the cause.
All in all, it's not possible for any damage to occur, but user-inflicted, especially after such a short period of time. Monitors are used for years and nothing happens, if used properly and taken care of, not to mention detachable version.

It's the middle of holidays here, so I'll be able to get back after. Apart from inspecting the soundtubes for any debris, it might also be a good idea to dry the monitors with a dessicant (although it requires more time) or use an active hearing-aid/IEM dryer, should you have one.
If it doesn't help, the monitors will need to get forwarded for a repair."

So, I don't know if by putting the SE5 in one's pocket will void the warranty.. Not according to his website.

Screenshots_2013-04-04-12-19-53.png

Plus, I pocket them just that ONE TIME, the first time I got them and all kind of micro fiber cloth got stuck in the outer shell that makes my ear really itchy. I've never been pocketing them ever since and yet Grzegorz assume that the damage is due to the pressure I put on the SE5 even without examining them first. I mean c'mon, I'm not a 10 yo kid who doesn't understand a $1,6k value item and misstreat them like that.

I basically have the same problem with bucket. The sound is not "centered", feels like it's coming from the left side all the time. But, bucket got this problem the very first time he tried them on, with caveat that there's a delay in receiving the SE5 from his friend in EU I assume..

There are some possibilities under my assumption as to why bucket had received a defective unit:

1) SE didn't do QC on bucket's SE5 when they sent them out to him (which is outrageous considering the high price and the monitor being a custom?!)
2) it was good at first and due to the time window when he received the SE5 it had become defective somehow?

In all honesty, I don't know if I'm willing / able to shell out extra cash to get them fixed if Grzegorz doesn't honour the warranty.. getting them to and from SE alone is already consuming much of my resources and patience as I'm not from EU countries.

As for now,, No more custom for me.. This is the first and the last one...

Sorry for the rant.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #688 of 2,566
Just a little update... Grzegorz emailed me that he will thoroughly examine my SE5 upon arrival, and repair the SE5 free of charge... Now will figure a way to forward them to his place..

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #689 of 2,566
Why SE5 ways always got so many problems.
Maybe problem is not the right word to describe the situation for some people.
But it's really too many for a extremely high-end CIEM. 

AFAIK, only me and bucket had the problem with SE5 and maybe some with fitting issues.

Don't get me wrong the SQ of SE5 is one of the BEST technically I've ever heard from BA iems, but logistic might be troublesome for some who live outside EU countries.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #690 of 2,566
Great to hear Ace8888!

Sort out the shipping asap and get the SE5 back:)

Keep us updated as to how you go about it.

Thanks..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back