Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #661 of 2,566
Quote:
The SE5 is not that big. Saying that it is really big is exaggeration.

I keep my SE5 inside this drying cup:

Total size is smaller than a plastic glass, fit in my jacket without any problem.

I just ordered the UM Miracle. I got really curious how UM Miracle will perform compared to the SE5. 

Awesome ! We will be CIEM brothers :wink: With Miracles, it's welcome to space...just floating around :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #662 of 2,566
Jacket pocket is not a pants pocket or a shirt pocket. I don't run around in a jacket inside, so there you have it.
Running around with a bag is less than appealing either - those things tend to get lost or stolen.

What are the actual dimensions of that UE small box?

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #663 of 2,566
Just subscribed to the thread as I have a pair being made..........

Have heard many good things about the SE5 from owners that does not post here and of course the few conflicting views here.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #664 of 2,566
Quote:
The UM small carrying case is barely large enough for my Miracles so I do not think it will work with SE5. On the subject of keeping them dry, I found a small, cheap and convenient air dryer at my audiologist for 8 USD:

Well then you must have absolutely enormous ears, because the Ultimate Ears Carrying Case I have fit my SE-5s or my Miracles absolutely perfectly:

I will concede, though, that I don't know if the current Ultimate Ears 'Small Carrying Case' (which I linked to in my previous post) is the same size or smaller than the image above. The image above is the one I have and it fits SE-5 or Miracle (for my ears, at least) no problem at all.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #665 of 2,566
Well then you must have absolutely enormous ears, because the Ultimate Ears Carrying Case I have fit my SE-5s or my Miracles absolutely perfectly:

I will concede, though, that I don't know if the current Ultimate Ears 'Small Carrying Case' (which I linked to in my previous post) is the same size or smaller than the image above. The image above is the one I have and it fits SE-5 or Miracle (for my ears, at least) no problem at all.

I said Unique Melody. It is smaller than this UE case.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #666 of 2,566
Quote:
I said Unique Melody. It is smaller than this UE case.

Ah, I see what happened - I did  realise you said UM's case, but I thought you were directly responding to my suggestion of UE's case, hence my subsequent remarks.

Simple misunderstanding
beerchug.gif

Anyway, certainly, the Triple-Fi 10 case I have fits CIEMs very nicely, so if you can find one of those anywhere, I recommend it.  Whether or not the newer version (which I originally linked to, on UE's website) is smaller, I do not know.

I completely understand the quandry you are in, because I myself faced exactly the same situation, over a year ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578199/anyone-know-of-a-smaller-equivalent-to-an-otterbox-1000

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #667 of 2,566
Hello Joe,

Any thought on the optimal aftermarket cable for the SE5 ? I am thinking more silver or silver gold. My not-so-short short list so far includes the following:

1. Tralucent silver / gold (I already have one with Miracles and it is great)
  2. Tralucent pure silver gold (expensive)
  3. Beat Audio Oslo II (I have the Cronus and it terms of looks / ergonomics, it is awesome)
  4. Toxic Cable Silver widow
  5. Norse Audio Reign Series (these headphone cables are awesome apparently and they are coming out for iems very soon)
  6. Symbiote SE Hybrid Ultra-compact Silver-copper litz IEM Cable
  7. Twag V3 OM
  8. Stage 93 93spec silver cable

I know you cannot know them all, but maybe you have recommendations ?

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #668 of 2,566

Keyboard for size reference
JH otter box/UM zip pocket(comes with the reshell iem)/UE metal box/ pelican 1020

I would recommend the 1020 if you going to use after market cables

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #669 of 2,566
People with detachable cable, have you tried using third party cable? I wonder if the shell can handle a thick and heavier cable. I'm afraid that the shell would be too fragile for a thick cable like whiplash hybrid. Did you hear any sonic improvement with third party cable? I'm in doubt whether I should reshell or just leave it as it is.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #670 of 2,566
Tried whiplash twag v3 non OM version and it fits perfectly into SE5's recessed sockets. I hear clear improvement in transparency and better awareness on micro-detail... Also it makes the SE5 sounds smootheerr and better treble crispness on cymbals.. I'm very curious with the toxic's Silver widow though... The whiplash hybrid is just too huge and blingy for my taste lol.

Edit: why do you need to reshell? Do you have the non detachable cable version of SE5?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #671 of 2,566
I have one of the first SE5 production. At that point detachable cable was not an option. I'm considering the hybrid because I don't want to loose the warmth and soundstage of copper. I clearly noticed that when I was comparing qables silver vs hybrid LOD for my ipod. Pure silver is just too piercing for my ear.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #672 of 2,566
Any SE5 user uses VorzAmp? I emailed Vorzuge and he said that somebody already bought the VorzAmp to drive/pair his SE5. 
I'm interested in combining the VorzAmp with Tera Player as my portable setup. Can someone comment on how the SE5 pairs with the VorzAmp?

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #675 of 2,566
Just 20 days since I received the Se5, and now they are broken. There's channel imbalance between the left and right earpiece... volume is not the same... the right piece doesn't produce volume as loud as the left piece, so much that it's very much audible... Did this ever happen to any SE user out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back