Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #721 of 2,566
Quote:

My SE5 sounds almost the same as SE3 Pro that you've described.

I guess when it's wrong, it's just wrong. Testing machines sometimes can't be as sensitive as human ears.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #722 of 2,566
That is unlikely the case. If the measurement is within the specified test limit, it should always be OK. I don't think Grzegorz will send a failed product. The only thing he can't test during production is the fitting.

I guess when it's wrong, it's just wrong. Testing machines sometimes can't be as sensitive as human ears.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #723 of 2,566
Quote:
That is unlikely the case. If the measurement is within the specified test limit, it should always be OK. I don't think Grzegorz will send a failed product. The only thing he can't test during production is the fitting.

Mine SE3 pro had the perfect fit. It's probably the sound preference, but still I doubt any SE5 will sound like the description I made for SE3

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #724 of 2,566
Your SE3 descriptions is very different than the Spiral Ear website. According to the website, it suppose to be like the SE5 without the bass extension.. Weird. It can be that you are so used to SE5 that other CIEM just doesn't cut it :wink:.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #725 of 2,566
Quote:
Your SE3 descriptions is very different than the Spiral Ear website. According to the website, it suppose to be like the SE5 without the bass extension.. Weird..

Exactly, that's why I went for it for the first place. I thought a brighter SE5 that will king of reference IEMs. But it was overly warm, warmer than anything I have ever heard. Without treble extension, everything in the rest of the spectrum will be forward, that's why the bass was bloated.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #728 of 2,566
When are you guys getting your SE5s?

Mine has just arrived at Poland and Grzegorz promises to examine and repair my SE5 ASAP and free of charge. Such a class act... I hope it will get fixed in a timely manner, really miss the lush and organic sound of the SE5!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #729 of 2,566
Quote:

Mine has just arrived at Poland and Grzegorz promises to examine and repair my SE5 ASAP and free of charge. Such a class act... I hope it will get fixed in a timely manner, really miss the lush and organic sound of the SE5!!

They are in Paris, my parents bring them Saturday in China !

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #731 of 2,566
Quote:

Congrats Ace8888

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #732 of 2,566
Quote:
Woooo very excited for you!
tongue.gif

Eager to hear what you think about them.. certainly didn't wow me at first listen.. but after some time they really grow on you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #733 of 2,566
So my quick and dirty measurement was spot on after all :D.

Grzegorz confirmed the SE5 has an impedance of 133. So should be fine with both TP and AK100 (to a lesser extent).

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #734 of 2,566
I've been following this thread for months and a while ago I decided to take my chance with the SE 5-way. I'm getting my impressions made on the 10th of may and I had some ideas to pair the 5-way with. I know: it's a long way from hearing them, but a man can dream.

I'm really interested in the Alo Audio Rx Mk3 -B paired with the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB. Has anyone tested this combination?  And is there anyone — except for average_joe — who tested the Whiplash Audio Twag v3 and Twcu v3 Hyrbrid with the 5-way.

Average_joe, would you say that in your case it would be impossible to use that cable with the 5-way (because of the problem you described in the iem cable review)?

That's al for now. Really looking forward to the ideas and advice of the community.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #735 of 2,566
Quote:
I've been following this thread for months and a while ago I decided to take my chance with the SE 5-way. I'm getting my impressions made on the 10th of may and I had some ideas to pair the 5-way with. I know: it's a long way from hearing them, but a man can dream.

I'm really interested in the Alo Audio Rx Mk3 -B paired with the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB. Has anyone tested this combination?  And is there anyone — except for average_joe — who tested the Whiplash Audio Twag v3 and Twcu v3 Hyrbrid with the 5-way.

Average_joe, would you say that in your case it would be impossible to use that cable with the 5-way (because of the problem you described in the iem cable review)?

That's al for now. Really looking forward to the ideas and advice of the community.

Yes, the cables don't work with mine.  I am not sure this will be the case for all SE5s though.  I do have a cable comparison with the SE5 planned somewhere shortly after my next wave of amp reviews, or around June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back