Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #751 of 2,566
lol.... I am sure I was in your conversation.:D

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #753 of 2,566
Quote:
.... 4 hours is a minimum to say what we think about everyone on HF
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL!   Yeah, well, just so you know, we were all talking about the 2 of you while you were gone! 
wink_face.gif

On a serious note, I hope you both enjoy your SE-5s  
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #754 of 2,566
Quote:
And watch out how bass is dependent on different songs ~

Actually when I first heard SE5,I can't assign it to any sound signature apart from liquid and musical. It doesn't really have a strong signature

It pairs both dx100 and 901 extremely well, unlucky you have neither of them for now:p

Quote:

They scale up so well...................
size]

Quote:
And watch out how bass is dependent on different songs ~

Actually when I first heard SE5,I can't assign it to any sound signature apart from liquid and musical. It doesn't really have a strong signature

It pairs both dx100 and 901 extremely well, unlucky you have neither of them for now:p

Quote:
SE5 is like heaven when paired with TP. Even without amp.. it is just perfect!

I can't agree more with all of these statements.  Keep improving the source and the sound keeps improving!  I was blown away when I first heard the SE5 recreate a better experience with Chemical Brothers live at Coachella (24 bit) from my Anedio D1.  I know there are better amps out there, so I am sure it can get better.  I was also shocked that the Clip+ had more detail than I ever thought, as the SE5 somehow recreates more of the fine nuances that are in the music.  

My problem doing comparisons to the SE5 is the sound signature changes quite a bit with each different master, so I think it compares one way, and then the next song throws my whole thinking off.  I have to listen to at least double, if not triple the number of tracks to figure out how the SE5 compares with others.

I am happy for all the new SE5 owners and hope you enjoy, and I am looking forward to additional feedback.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #755 of 2,566
Quote:
I can't agree more with all of these statements.  Keep improving the source and the sound keeps improving!  I was blown away when I first heard the SE5 recreate a better experience with Chemical Brothers live at Coachella (24 bit) from my Anedio D1.  I know there are better amps out there, so I am sure it can get better.  I was also shocked that the Clip+ had more detail than I ever thought, as the SE5 somehow recreates more of the fine nuances that are in the music.  

My problem doing comparisons to the SE5 is the sound signature changes quite a bit with each different master, so I think it compares one way, and then the next song throws my whole thinking off.  I have to listen to at least double, if not triple the number of tracks to figure out how the SE5 compares with others.

I am happy for all the new SE5 owners and hope you enjoy, and I am looking forward to additional feedback.

I was switching from 901 to D2. Wow what a difference in the sound. D2's neutrality makes SE5 more transparent and airy without going any edgy~  The whole listening experience improved in every way, speed, dynamic, imaging and the weight. Within all my CIEMs, only SE5 gives me this feeling like: forget everything, just listen to the music while with others I will focus more on how they present music. I have been owning SE5 for more than a year, normally with other gears, I would be so used to them long time ago and wouldn't get excited any more. SE5 is still such a mystery for me, sometimes I just can never understand how much this thing can deliver. It often surprises me and makes me feel there is always more it can give.

I was caught up by the smoothness of 901 initially, but with more comparison, even it sounds more musical than DX100, technically it's still not on par with D2. And it's still on the warm side of neutral, even with balanced amp card. So I would say it's still a bit warmer than 627's treble. But for travelling I don't have a problem with 901 since I tend to push the volume up more for better isolation. Fang provided the HD/vintage switch and he stated that if you can hear the difference between the two, you have superman's ears since it's has a about 2-3 db roll of starting from 13k. ;P. Well, with SE5, it's just so easy to hear the difference, even on crappy songs. But still, with HD switched on, it's still warmer than my other sources.

And I also noticed, SE5 is actually a pretty power hungry CIEMs, I switched the internal amp gain for D2 from low to high (which can drive LCD 3 with no problem) and SE5 doesn't sound overpowered at all in any way. It's still so flat! 

So for guys who don't want SE5 to get any warmer, you probably want to skip 901. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #756 of 2,566
Quote:
I was switching from 901 to D2. Wow what a difference in the sound. D2's neutrality makes SE5 more transparent and airy without going any edgy~  The whole listening experience improved in every way, speed, dynamic, imaging and the weight. Within all my CIEMs, only SE5 gives me this feeling like: forget everything, just listen to the music while with others I will focus more on how they present music. I have been owning SE5 for more than a year, normally with other gears, I would be so used to them long time ago and wouldn't get excited any more. SE5 is still such a mystery for me, sometimes I just can never understand how much this thing can deliver. It often surprises me and makes me feel there is always more it can give.

I was caught up by the smoothness of 901 initially, but with more comparison, even it sounds more musical than DX100, technically it's still not on par with D2. And it's still on the warm side of neutral, even with balanced amp card. So I would say it's still a bit warmer than 627's treble. But for travelling I don't have a problem with 901 since I tend to push the volume up more for better isolation. Fang provided the HD/vintage switch and he stated that if you can hear the difference between the two, you have superman's ears since it's has a about 2-3 db roll of starting from 13k. ;P. Well, with SE5, it's just so easy to hear the difference, even on crappy songs. But still, with HD switched on, it's still warmer than my other sources.

And I also noticed, SE5 is actually a pretty power hungry CIEMs, I switched the internal amp gain for D2 from low to high (which can drive LCD 3 with no problem) and SE5 doesn't sound overpowered at all in any way. It's still so flat! 

So for guys who don't want SE5 to get any warmer, you probably want to skip 901. 

Yes, the 5-way just gets out of the way of the music.  It is a pain for review and a pleasure for listening!  Plenty of other CIEMs have the capability to some extent, but I haven't found one that matches the SE5.

I believe the D2 has a better amp section than the D1, but I would eventually like to get an even better amp as I agree, I think the SE5 has more to give.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #757 of 2,566
Quote:
Yes, the 5-way just gets out of the way of the music.  It is a pain for review and a pleasure for listening!  Plenty of other CIEMs have the capability to some extent, but I haven't found one that matches the SE5.

I believe the D2 has a better amp section than the D1, but I would eventually like to get an even better amp as I agree, I think the SE5 has more to give.

I am using 5-way with D2 and they do sound wonderful. Of course 5-way also perform very well with BHA-1 SE output.

The problem I have is to plug 5-way to BHA-1 balanced output via my BTG cable. Hiss appears when music does not play. Same problem happens to 1964-V6.

May 1, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #758 of 2,566
Just managed to make my SE5 more transparent and airy on 901 by simply turning the gain from low to high. Although I need to push the volume back by 1 db to equalise the volume, the difference is quite big. The low gain of balanced amp card still isn't powerful enough to drive SE5. But now with the high gain, it sounds a step closer to the desktop system. :) 901 is a great toy to play with, now I can have like 3 type of different presentations (maybe four) on this "little" DAP.

May 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #759 of 2,566
Quote:

I am using 5-way with D2 and they do sound wonderful. Of course 5-way also perform very well with BHA-1 SE output.

The problem I have is to plug 5-way to BHA-1 balanced output via my BTG cable. Hiss appears when music does not play. Same problem happens to 1964-V6.

Too bad there is hiss, but I can sometimes overlook the hiss due to other exceptional factors of the pairing.

Quote:
Just managed to make my SE5 more transparent and airy on 901 by simply turning the gain from low to high. Although I need to push the volume back by 1 db to equalise the volume, the difference is quite big. The low gain of balanced amp card still isn't powerful enough to drive SE5. But now with the high gain, it sounds a step closer to the desktop system. :) 901 is a great toy to play with, now I can have like 3 type of different presentations (maybe four) on this "little" DAP.

Thanks for sharing.  Have you been able to compare balanced with single ended?

May 2, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #760 of 2,566
Quote:

Thanks for sharing.  Have you been able to compare balanced with single ended?

Not unfortunately. I don't have a balanced IEM cable to do that. I don't think I have ever seen one before.

May 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #762 of 2,566
Yeah, I just notice that myself. TP and SE5 sounds amazing with jazz but I think it doesn't handle rock and metal as well as it handles jazz. It does sound great but not perfect. I'd say 99%.

I had not seen that question. Great rumble and depth, not ultra punchy but sufficient.

May 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #764 of 2,566
A few listening notes after nearly a week....

- Surprisingly, isolation is not much better, perhaps even the same as other CIEMs that I have, and far behind the FitEar MH335DW
- Comfort is the best!!!
- So far, for me, the best synergy for a portable solution is the AK100, the AK100 innately has a very wide soundstage, which in turns opens up the sound space very nicely letting everything within breathe resulting in a very wide and deep soundstage
- Very accurate and precise, true to source. More Studio Monitor than Audiophile in portraying music. But when the recording is excellent, you are left stunned at the capabilities of the SE5. However, even on relatively good recordings the SE5 takes it apart, and flaws are brought to the fore.

Definitely a top-tier product, and with the best recordings when everything clicks into place, the SE5 is excellence personified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back