Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #271 of 2,566
How does the cable remove from the earpieces on these IEMs?

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #272 of 2,566
Actually I wanted to try out a Heir 8A as well. But there has been very few reviews about it. I am just afraid it's gonna sound too warm.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #273 of 2,566
SLOWLY move the connector up and down till it comes off.

Quote:
How does the cable remove from the earpieces on these IEMs?

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #274 of 2,566
There is extraordinarily little info about the SE-5 on the Internet, other than Joe's review and Spiral Ear's own website, but I happen to know that there are at least 2 or 3 (and I suspect a few more) head-fiers who now own the SE-5.

I'm due one myself, so I'm already happily committed to the SE-5, but nevertheless, I'd really like to see some user-impressions of the SE-5, even if they're from owners who find the SE-5 not entirely to their taste.

I'm 'all ears' (but then, as a head-fier, I would be, wouldn't I!?!) :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #275 of 2,566
More reviews/owners are always better to get a feel of anything, but the reason I write my extensive reviews which include comparisons with other custom IEMs in the price range is to help people get a feel for what they will get, even if they only read one review.  I do try to point out all the weaknesses and take an extreme amount of time with each CIEM using different sources, different music, and comparing.  I do sometimes feel that my in-depth analysis can turn people away since in direct comparison with another CIEM there are weaknesses, but without that direct comparison things sound amazing.  There are several popular CIEMs I haven't reviewed and I am not sure how they would compare, but reading some of the reviews, they don't have many faults.  Of course, there will always be people that don't care for something depending on expectations, preferences, source, and music.

I do want to know if people hear the 5-way the same way I do as is the case with most people with the other CIEMs I have reviewed, but there have been other owners I have communicated with that agree with my assessment.  And there are several owners in this Danish forum, however there aren't any in-depth reviews.  I will be starting my in-depth review in a few days and we should have some new owners around the time I finish.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #276 of 2,566
Those pictures are my SE5 
biggrin.gif
. I have enough room for the SE5 drivers. The problem was more on the squeezing 5 tubing on the canal but Grzegorz managed to do that just fine.

Quote:
looking good~ I should have went for clear shells rather than black opaque :) Did you choose the non detachable cable version? Or your ears are really small so that you have to?

Quote:
Oh, those facebook pics are not mine.

My ears are fairly small though, apparently. Grzegorz was not sure he'd be able to fit 5-way in my ears, but he did succeed. He also succeeded in squeezing in a detachable cable option 
L3000.gif

I'll be sure to pass on my impressions of the SE-5, in this thread, when I receive them ( a few weeks from now).

I went for custom translucent-black silicone, BTW (that's 'smoked' to the rest of us, in CIEM land!)

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #277 of 2,566
Any updates Joe? I'm really interested in the SE5 ever since you commented that they beat the LCD-2's in sound quality... LCD-2's are the best headphones I've tried to date for me so I'd love to hear something better. Oh, and do you have any information on the specs? I shot an email off to Grzegorz about what the headphone impedance was for the 5-way. He replied that he didn't think much of technical specs. I told him I'd like to know the sensitivity, efficiency and impedance to match it properly with a source and amp, but he hasn't replied in months yet.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #278 of 2,566
Is it still unavailable to order from the US?

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #279 of 2,566
I believe so, yes.

Should anyone need a European to help them with ordering, then I'm happy to help provided I don't have to do anything more drastic than forward your product. 
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #280 of 2,566
5 way does sound darker than LCD 2 though. if you find LCD 2 rev.1 dark already then u might wanna consider carefully. 

Quote:
Any updates Joe? I'm really interested in the SE5 ever since you commented that they beat the LCD-2's in sound quality... LCD-2's are the best headphones I've tried to date for me so I'd love to hear something better. Oh, and do you have any information on the specs? I shot an email off to Grzegorz about what the headphone impedance was for the 5-way. He replied that he didn't think much of technical specs. I told him I'd like to know the sensitivity, efficiency and impedance to match it properly with a source and amp, but he hasn't replied in months yet.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #281 of 2,566

Quote:
Don't expect to get the instant feeling like: WOW!  because 5 way isn't those type of IEMs. Sit down and listen to them carefully and then you will be giving up all your other CIEMs. 
biggrin.gif

That's an interesting comment.  I've never experienced any phone, headphone or in ear I ended up keeping that had to grow on me.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #282 of 2,566

Quote:
5 way does sound darker than LCD 2 though. if you find LCD 2 rev.1 dark already then u might wanna consider carefully. 

Another interesting comment!

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #283 of 2,566
Quote:

The LCD-2 Rev. 1 is a 'good dark' though... one of the few 'dark'-sounding phones that I really like... Is the SE5 a 'good dark' ? haha... there's no way you can possibly answer this question.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #284 of 2,566
5 way is the second darkest phones I ever heard. (darkest: ear soincs). It's good dark of course that makes my LCD 2 rev.1 bright sometimes..lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back