Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #286 of 2,566
I guess it's because 5 way truly delivers what's in the music. It doesn't sound colored.

Quote:

That's an interesting comment.  I've never experienced any phone, headphone or in ear I ended up keeping that had to grow on me.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #287 of 2,566
Yep. No rolling off on both ends. But it still sound darker than LCD 2.
It's interesting how ear spiral tuned the sound. great extension, no roll off. but not as airy as LCD 2. I guess there is a slight roll off around 10khz (where it gives you the bright and airy feel)
Quote:
Agreed. I though SE5 has rather extended non-fatiguing with-edge-highs rather than rolled-off. Interesting it is.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #288 of 2,566
Yep. No rolling off on both ends. But it still sound darker than LCD 2.
It's interesting how ear spiral tuned the sound. great extension, no roll off. but not as airy as LCD 2. I guess there is a slight roll off around 10khz (where it gives you the bright and airy feel)
Quote:
Agreed. I though SE5 has rather extended non-fatiguing with-edge-highs rather than rolled-off. Interesting it is.

What are you driving your SE-5s with..?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #289 of 2,566
How can you be darker than the LCD2 r.1 and have music sound just the way it is?  Cymbals would sound like a wood block.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #290 of 2,566

Quote:
Any updates Joe? I'm really interested in the SE5 ever since you commented that they beat the LCD-2's in sound quality... LCD-2's are the best headphones I've tried to date for me so I'd love to hear something better. Oh, and do you have any information on the specs? I shot an email off to Grzegorz about what the headphone impedance was for the 5-way. He replied that he didn't think much of technical specs. I told him I'd like to know the sensitivity, efficiency and impedance to match it properly with a source and amp, but he hasn't replied in months yet.

Not yet, I just started my serious A/Bing.  I have an email out to Grzegorz, who is dealing with an emergency, so I think we all need to be patient.

Quote:
I believe so, yes.

Should anyone need a European to help them with ordering, then I'm happy to help provided I don't have to do anything more drastic than forward your product. 
tongue.gif

That's mighty nice of you, you may be busy!  

Quote:
5 way does sound darker than LCD 2 though. if you find LCD 2 rev.1 dark already then u might wanna consider carefully. 

I can't say I agree with that.  I will have to listen again to the LCD-2 in the near future, but my thoughts were that they had similar tone throughout and the 5-way had more emphasis in the treble.  This was using the Anedio D1 as a source for both.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #291 of 2,566
Yeah forgot to say I drive with 801, warm source. and I agree 5 way has better treble emphasis than LCD 2. But LCD 2 just feel generally brighter for me. I only have 3 IEMs. If JH16, EM6 are colored, then 5 way is definitely not colored for me. I am sure UREM or NT6 is probably the uncolored earphones, but I will probably find them bright. :) People hear different things in different genres of music. 

Quote:

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #292 of 2,566
Yeah forgot to say I drive with 801, warm source. and I agree 5 way has better treble emphasis than LCD 2. But LCD 2 just feel generally brighter for me. I only have 3 IEMs. If JH16, EM6 are colored, then 5 way is definitely not colored for me. I am sure UREM or NT6 is probably the uncolored earphones, but I will probably find them bright. :) People hear different things in different genres of music. 

Quote:

Stock amp card or 'GAME' module..?

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #293 of 2,566
Switching between stock amp and Game for LCD 2 and 5 way. Yeah have to say 5 way does sound a bit brighter on any of my other player.

Quote:
Stock amp card or 'GAME' module..?

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #294 of 2,566
Quote:
Not yet, I just started my serious A/Bing.  I have an email out to Grzegorz, who is dealing with an emergency, so I think we all need to be patient.

Personal or business emergency? I hope everything turns out okay.

Sorry to pester you. I was looking around and saw that you've had the SE-5way for a while (since last year...?) so that piqued my interest as to whether you were busy with other things or if you haven't got a perfect fitting and non-defective unit yet.

If the review confirms my suspicions, I may have to allocate 999 Euros out of my future budget for these little bad boys.

To any other owners of the 5-way, how are they like to drive? If possible can you compare their sensitivity to other CIEM's/IEM's which have published technical specifications. I hope the 5-way isn't too sensitive/efficient...

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #295 of 2,566

Quote:

To any other owners of the 5-way, how are they like to drive? If possible can you compare their sensitivity to other CIEM's/IEM's which have published technical specifications. I hope the 5-way isn't too sensitive/efficient...

The SE5 is for sure not very efficient and sensitive compared to other CIEM I have had (ES3X and ES5). I'm using it with my Studio-V and I can only hear a very little hiss in a very quiet environment. The Studio-V is famous for hissing badly with sensitive IEM). 

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #296 of 2,566
Quote:

The SE5 is for sure not very efficient and sensitive compared to other CIEM I have had (ES3X and ES5). I'm using it with my Studio-V and I can only hear a very little hiss in a very quiet environment. The Studio-V is famous for hissing badly with sensitive IEM). 

That's good news. Thanks Jazzyfi. I would've bit the bullet for ES5's years ago if it wasn't for their high sensitivity (which makes sense if you're using them as a wireless musicians monitor). All of my cans are hard to drive (mostly planars, my only dynamic has 250ohm impedance). And I really don't like hiss... of course, sometimes it's unavoidable in certain recordings...
Would really like to drive the 5-ways with something like the ODA+ODAC combo, I want that inky black background :).

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #297 of 2,566
The SE5 is for sure still drive-able with a wireless system. I'm using my shure without a problem though I love it even more when I'm using it in my home studio with proper equipment.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #298 of 2,566
Quote:
The SE5 is for sure still drive-able with a wireless system. I'm using my shure without a problem though I love it even more when I'm using it in my home studio with proper equipment.

I find I don't need much volume when monitoring myself. The mix can always be customised to favour your signal amongst the rest, plus 5-way silicone isolation would make it easier to hear it at higher environmental sound pressure levels. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #299 of 2,566
Exactly! The silicon is why I was interested in purchasing actually. My ears got sore when I use acrylic shell for long hours (6-8 hours daily) but I have no problem at all with the silicon. Very very comfortable.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #300 of 2,566

Quote:
Personal or business emergency? I hope everything turns out okay.

Sorry to pester you. I was looking around and saw that you've had the SE-5way for a while (since last year...?) so that piqued my interest as to whether you were busy with other things or if you haven't got a perfect fitting and non-defective unit yet.

If the review confirms my suspicions, I may have to allocate 999 Euros out of my future budget for these little bad boys.

I am not 100% sure and found out 2nd hand.  I have had the 5-way for over a year, but have had fit issues, so a replacement has been sent to me since the sound coming from my original, while great in so many ways did have some minor issues depending on how I put it in.  When I would get the best sound it was very uncomfortable, even for a few minutes.  

Quote:

Yes, the sensitivity isn't the same as many CIEMs such as the JH16 and LS8 for example, but closer to the ACS T1.  It can be driven by my Clip fine and sounds good in comparison with my other CIEMs, but pairing it with a source that has more power and resolution does improve the sound quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back