Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #256 of 2,566

Quote:
BTW, I remember someone having the 4-way Reference, but I can't remember where the post is anymore. I wonder how it compares to the 5-way...

I think I recall reading somewhere (not necessarily on Head-fi) that the SE-4 is perhaps more akin to an SE-3 with improved bass extension, rather than an SE-5, but don't quote me on that - my memory is certainly not infallible!

also, bear in mind that the SE-3 Ref has also received some very positive reviews, around the internet.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #259 of 2,566

Quote:
Oh, am I right in thinking, then, that this would be your first pair of custom IEMs..?

Yes, you're right.

Quote:
From my correspondence with Grzegorze seems that 4 way are rather dark sounding IEMs meant specially for bass and drums players not necessarilly dedicated for audiophile listenings

Yea, Grzegorz told me that the 4 way is rather for "bass-heads"

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #260 of 2,566
looking good~ I should have went for clear shells rather than black opaque :) Did you choose the non detachable cable version? Or your ears are really small so that you have to?

Quote:
What's the backup plan? Plastic surgery to make your ears large enough for the 5-way? 
biggrin.gif

My ears are slightly on the small side and Grzegorz managed to squeeze 5 armatures in.

Just how small are your ears?

Smaller than these?:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.293147087387817.62473.153613854674475&type=1

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #261 of 2,566
Oh, those facebook pics are not mine.

My ears are fairly small though, apparently. Grzegorz was not sure he'd be able to fit 5-way in my ears, but he did succeed. He also succeeded in squeezing in a detachable cable option 
L3000.gif

I'll be sure to pass on my impressions of the SE-5, in this thread, when I receive them ( a few weeks from now).

I went for custom translucent-black silicone, BTW (that's 'smoked' to the rest of us, in CIEM land!)

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #262 of 2,566

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, am I right in thinking, then, that this would be your first pair of custom IEMs..?

Originally Posted by IAmSoCheap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, you're right.

Wow, so you're aiming straight for the top! LOL  Good luck to you, I hope the SE-5 will fit your ears.

I must say, Grzegorz is a pleasure to do business with. Very sincere and communicative.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to hearing my SE-5s.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #263 of 2,566

Quote:

Wow, so you're aiming straight for the top! LOL  Good luck to you, I hope the SE-5 will fit your ears.

I must say, Grzegorz is a pleasure to do business with. Very sincere and communicative.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to hearing my SE-5s.

So you think the SE-5s are at the very top :wink:.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #264 of 2,566
Don't expect to get the instant feeling like: WOW!  because 5 way isn't those type of IEMs. Sit down and listen to them carefully and then you will be giving up all your other CIEMs. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Oh, those facebook pics are not mine.

My ears are fairly small though, apparently. Grzegorz was not sure he'd be able to fit 5-way in my ears, but he did succeed. He also succeeded in squeezing in a detachable cable option 
L3000.gif

I'll be sure to pass on my impressions of the SE-5, in this thread, when I receive them ( a few weeks from now).

I went for custom translucent-black silicone, BTW (that's 'smoked' to the rest of us, in CIEM land!)

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #265 of 2,566

Quote:

So you think the SE-5s are at the very top :wink:.

No, I'm well aware of the other, even-more-expensive contenders from Fitear, Beats, etc., but I was speaking relatively. Even though I know of other contenders, I still classify the SE-5 to be a top-tier CIEM 
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #266 of 2,566

Quote:

No, I'm well aware of the other, even-more-expensive contenders from Fitear, Beats, etc., but I was speaking relatively. Even though I know of other contenders, I still classify the SE-5 to be a top-tier CIEM 
tongue.gif

I feel the same. I wish I could get my hands on one. But with the non-friendly shipping policy of Spiral Ear, its but a dream.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #267 of 2,566

Quote:
Don't expect to get the instant feeling like: WOW!  because 5 way isn't those type of IEMs. Sit down and listen to them carefully and then you will be giving up all your other CIEMs. 
biggrin.gif

Thankyou for the word of caution, tupac - I appreciate and respect your honesty (there's far too much FOTM on Head-fi), but as far as 'Mython+SE-5' goes, it's OK, I've chatted privately to Joe (and Grzegorz), very extensively, about the SE-5. Consequently, my understanding is that the SE-5s are subtly intricate, and unassuming yet highly revealing.

Not a stodgy, 'pig-out' double-cream-and-chocolate eclair or MSG-laden chinese takeaway, but layers and layers of fine, err... layers(!) like choux pastry! LOL 
biggrin.gif

I chose the SE-5 after a huge amount of deliberation. CIEMs are always​ a risky proposition, no matter how well-reviewed they may be.

I now understand this from first-hand experience (I'm happy to elaborate if you like but will refrain from doing so, at this point).

I appreciate that I may receive the SE-5 and fail to enjoy it. I know the harshness of that difficult truth, because I've wrestled with it head-on, and therefore I don't say that lightly, but I'm a very honest person (not just with others, but with myself, too).             I say it as I see it, and, consequently, I've experienced disappointment with CIEMs, just as almost everyone who's invested in expensive CIEMs can attest to (if they're honest enough). It's quite common for someone to spend a thousand bucks on a CIEM, not like its sound signature, and go into self-denial because they can't admit to themselves that they just spent a thousand bucks on something they don't like.

I'm looking for a CIEM which simply tries its best, not to 'impress', but to render music in as convincing/realistic a fashion as possible. As you know, 'Realism' and 'Impressive aural firework displays' are not the same thing. From personal experience, I've found that most things that sound 'impressive' to begin with often sound fatiguing or unconvincing in the longterm. Many IEMs, regardless of whether they're Custom or Universal, often try to impress the listener by emphasising some portion of the frequency spectrum. For example, the JH16, to me, would be emphasising the bass (and, to a certain extent, also the MG6Pro, though this is not conceived as a 'critical-listening' 'audiophile' product - it's a Pro, stage-use product). Many IEMs, at various pricepoints, tend to favour the 'V-shaped' signature, which I find contrived, because it is contrived. No piece of audio gear is perfect - not even stuff costing several hundred thousand bucks. I know the SE-5 will be no exception to this inexorable 'rule'. Nothing is perfect; nothing is infallible.

All I'm looking for in a CIEM is a fairly-neutral portrayal of music, with plenty of (not-emphasised) detail to help render important psycho-acoustic cues, and with reasonably-competent portrayal of bass, in order to provide a convincing foundation to underpin the music (I do understand the difference in sub-bass portrayal of cones vs. armatures). The trick is to find a CIEM which can accomplish this without sounding 'cold' or 'detached', but rather 'lush' and 'organic'. Will the SE-5 succeed or fail for me, in this aim? I don't know yet, but I know Grzegorz aims to satisfy similar requirements to mine, so I am hopeful that I will enjoy the SE-5.

If the SE-5 doesn't please me, I am mature enough to accept this, even though it is a whole month's wages for me. I do know, from my communications with Grzegorz, that he sincerely tries his best to produce an exceptional quality, and exceptional-performance, product, and I will respect that, accordingly, regardless of whether the SE-5s suit my taste.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #269 of 2,566

Quote:
Just one reason I opted for the 8A, the resale value is better due to the customer support and cheap reshell option provided.

"Ye of little faith..!" LOL

But yes, I totally understand your standpoint. Heir Audio are market-leaders in openly catering for the possibility of reselling due to personal disliking of the sound signature of their CIEMs. Very noble and shrewd marketing policy, in my view, so kudos to them for offering this.

I've stuck my neck out in buying the SE-5 simply because I've done my research carefully and consequently I feel it may be worth the risk. If I'm wrong, I'll take it on the chin and move on, but I'm optimistic that the SE-5 may suit me very well indeed.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #270 of 2,566

Quote:
"Ye of little faith..!" LOL

But yes, I totally understand your standpoint. Heir Audio are market-leaders in openly catering for the possibility of reselling due to personal disliking of the sound signature of their CIEMs. Very noble and shrewd marketing policy, in my view, so kudos to them for offering this.

I've stuck my neck out in buying the SE-5 simply because I've done my research carefully and consequently I feel it may be worth the risk. If I'm wrong, I'll take it on the chin and move on, but I'm optimistic that the SE-5 may suit me very well indeed.

Well that's not the only reason I'm opting for the Heir 8A. Based on the impressions regarding its sound signature. Its similar to the Denon 7000s with the Marcle mod. Its treble is silky-fine and non fatiguing. Extension is very good and bass is a big-point on this IEM. This reminds me very much of my Silver cabled IE8s crossed between my former Open-back Denon 5000s. So I feel this is exactly what I am looking for in an Custom IEM. Not to mention the beautiful craftsmanship and intricate detail that goes into Heirs products. I'm sold! :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back