Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #227 of 2,566
Quote:
Hey, at least it's good for the global economy?

As long as you only spend the content of your wallet, rather than get into debt "American style." 
wink.gif

PayPal really encourages this. Each time I use their service, they force me to say no, again and again and again, to their "bill me later" scheme. There are two options when you pay: "pay now" or "bill me later." But if you select "pay now," you get a pop-up telling you that, really, you should use "bill me later" instead.

They really push it, to a point that should be illegal: You can offer a service; you shouldn't be allowed to insist that people use it. Not a service that leads to people getting into debt, when it's already an endemic problem in the States.

Er, did I go into a tangent? 
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #228 of 2,566

Quote:
As long as you only spend the content of your wallet, rather than get into debt "American style." 
wink.gif

PayPal really encourages this. Each time I use their service, they force me to say no, again and again and again, to their "bill me later" scheme. There are two options when you pay: "pay now" or "bill me later." But if you select "pay now," you get a pop-up telling you that, really, you should use "bill me later" instead.

They really push it, to a point that should be illegal: You can offer a service; you shouldn't be allowed to insist that people use it. Not a service that leads to people getting into debt, when it's already an endemic problem in the States.

Er, did I go into a tangent? 
redface.gif

I agree completely. I'll never own a credit card for the same reason. Every purchase I make is with my own money and only when I have a surplus of expendable income already in my bank account.

I also don't go out drinking or clubbing (clubbing my hearing more like, amirite?) nor waste money on things I don't need or want so that I can afford things that I do want (or convince myself I need 
L3000.gif
).

Btw, I've never had Paypal offer me the 'Bill me later' option. Is that only when you have a credit card attached to it?

[Off Topic, sorry]

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #231 of 2,566

Quote:
No, I only have debit cards (one per country I've lived in). Like you, I don't spend money I don't have. But PayPal has access to my bank account. >_<

Strange... I've only got a debit as well. PayPal has access to my bank account too... right now they're asking for me to provide them with ID to verify my account identity. Why do they need that now?! Violation of privacy if you ask me. This whole world is turning more into Big Brother day by day...

I'm glad Spiral Ears take bank wire only. It has it's downfalls but at least it's not adding to the monopoly of PayPal and it's parent companies, who think that if you're big enough you can do whatever you like...

[end rant and off topic posts]

ANYWAY, can't wait for averagejoes review! I get excited when it sound like the bar has been raised.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #233 of 2,566
Quote:
Strange... I've only got a debit as well. PayPal has access to my bank account too... right now they're asking for me to provide them with ID to verify my account identity. Why do they need that now?! Violation of privacy if you ask me. This whole world is turning more into Big Brother day by day...

Some companies have kept great customer service even after they became big (e.g. Amazon). Others (eBay, and PayPal when they bought it) completely stopped any real pretense at caring as soon as they cornered the market. I used to be able to use PayPal in any country in the world; for years, I had registered addresses is several countries (I was born in France, studied in the States, now work in Taiwan, and have friends and family all over the globe). Then PayPal suddenly grayed out those addresses and, nowadays, only let you use their service in the same country you've opened your account ... unless you buy through their parent company, eBay.

(I like the convenience of PayPal too, Joe, but I do hope that some worthy competitor comes that show more care for their customers. Maybe Google!)

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #234 of 2,566
If you still believe Google care about their customers, take a look at their recently-introduced changes to Android Marketplace. They're following Apple in demanding full rights to control content on users' devices (eg remotely deleting whatever the hell they like, without user consent). Then there's the alleged data-mining on various platforms (inc Mac OSX's Safari browser). Don't kid yourself that Google care more about end-users than they do about themselves

BUT... we are digressing here.

Having chatted with Grzegorz at length, it's very evident that he really DOES care about his customers.

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #235 of 2,566
Quote:
If you still believe Google care about their customers, take a look at their recently-introduced changes to Android Marketplace. They're following Apple in demanding full rights to control content on users' devices (eg remotely deleting whatever the hell they like, without user consent). Then there's the alleged data-mining on various platforms (inc Mac OSX's Safari browser). Don't kid yourself that Google care more about end-users than they do about themselves

No company really does, but some think that good customer care is good business. Like Amazon.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #236 of 2,566

Quote:
Some companies have kept great customer service even after they became big (e.g. Amazon). Others (eBay, and PayPal when they bought it) completely stopped any real pretense at caring as soon as they cornered the market. I used to be able to use PayPal in any country in the world; for years, I had registered addresses is several countries (I was born in France, studied in the States, now work in Taiwan, and have friends and family all over the globe). Then PayPal suddenly grayed out those addresses and, nowadays, only let you use their service in the same country you've opened your account ... unless you buy through their parent company, eBay.

(I like the convenience of PayPal too, Joe, but I do hope that some worthy competitor comes that show more care for their customers. Maybe Google!)

I haven't really thought about it and haven't used PayPal all that much the past year, so if there have been major changes, I missed them.  I do know PayPal restrictions in other countries are much stricter than in the US.

And Amazon does have some of the best customer service anywhere!

Quote:
BUT... we are digressing here.
Having chatted with Grzegorz at length, it's very evident that he really DOES care about his customers.

Yes, Grzegorz cares and is excellent to converse with.  And in general, I have interacted with many amazing people that make some great custom IEMs!

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #237 of 2,566

You have to have established credit for them to trust you with bill me later. They review your credit history and make a decision based on that. You shouldn't let credit scare you. Just control yourself as you are now. Treat those credit cards just as a means to build your credit and use that same mentality you are using (living within your means). Use the credit card to pay stuff off that you would pay off anyways with your bank account. You generally have a 20+ day grace period before any interest accrues and pay the balances off before you get charged interest. This will build your credit which is very important in this day and age. You can miss good job opportunities and have a hard time renting a home due to not having established credit. Also for future purchases such as a home or car; you'll end up paying a lot more in interest due to your credit rating. Just my 2 cents :wink:.
Quote:
I agree completely. I'll never own a credit card for the same reason. Every purchase I make is with my own money and only when I have a surplus of expendable income already in my bank account.

I also don't go out drinking or clubbing (clubbing my hearing more like, amirite?) nor waste money on things I don't need or want so that I can afford things that I do want (or convince myself I need 
L3000.gif
).

Btw, I've never had Paypal offer me the 'Bill me later' option. Is that only when you have a credit card attached to it?

[Off Topic, sorry]

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #238 of 2,566
Quote:
You have to have established credit for them to trust you with bill me later. They review your credit history and make a decision based on that. You shouldn't let credit scare you. Just control yourself as you are now. Treat those credit cards just as a means to build your credit and use that same mentality you are using (living within your means). Use the credit card to pay stuff off that you would pay off anyways with your bank account. You generally have a 20+ day grace period before any interest accrues and pay the balances off before you get charged interest. This will build your credit which is very important in this day and age. You can miss good job opportunities and have a hard time renting a home due to not having established credit. Also for future purchases such as a home or car; you'll end up paying a lot more in interest due to your credit rating. Just my 2 cents :wink:.

I never had any debt, nor did I ever buy anything on credit. So I don't have an established credit line, as you say, and that makes me less reliable than people who bought stuff with money they didn't have. That's friggin' ridiculous.

As for PayPal, they really try to force they BillMeLater program down my throat.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #239 of 2,566

Quote:
I never had any debt, nor did I ever buy anything on credit. So I don't have an established credit line, as you say, and that makes me less reliable than people who bought stuff with money they didn't have. That's friggin' ridiculous.

As for PayPal, they really try to force they BillMeLater program down my throat.

Yep, it's a crazy, insane, banking system we live under in modern Western society, that's for sure, and it sure as hell ain't geared in favour of the average man. The word 'Entrapment' springs to mind.

But we digress...

Am currently waiting for an SE-5 and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Hope those of you who have the SE-5 are enjoying it as much as I hope to, though I do appreciate that buying IEMs can be a 'hit-&-miss' experience, since a sound characteristic that suits one person may not necessarily suit another person, and this can be true of any IEM, no matter how cheap, common, expensive or exclusive it might happen to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back